Long-time readers will know that Guerlain is easily one of my favorite brands. A lot of my very favorite products are by the brand, from foundation to finishing powder to lipstick. If we threw limited edition shades into the mix, there’d be even more favorites to be found. If you’re new to the brand and aren’t sure where to start, let me share with you my five must-have products…
- Guerlain Meteorites — pressed or loose pearls, they’re a cult favorite for a reason. I prefer the pressed as a finishing powder to add subtle luminosity back into the skin. If you like a little more shimmer and sparkle, I’d opt for the loose pearls.
- Guerlain Rouge G Lip Color — it’s been a non-stop winner for my very, very favorite lipstick formula for years; long-wearing, hydrating, smoothing, and good variety of colors. Guerlain’s strength, for me, has always been in base and lip products.
- Guerlain Le Vernis — incredibly glossy (without a top coat), highly pigmented, and long-wearing–I love the cream finishes best.
- Guerlain Rouge G de Guerlain L’Extrait — long-wearing, intensely pigmented, matte lip color
- Guerlain Parure de Lumiere — foundation is another strength by the brand, as I haven’t encountered one I didn’t like (and my favorite, Parure Gold, is now discontinued), and every time I wear Parure de Lumiere, a reader asks about my skin care routine. The major downside is they have a limited shade range.
Have you tried Guerlain? Any must-haves you’d recommend to others?
Today, Tarina Tarantino Beauty will be on Hautelook (at 8AM PST) with their “core collection.” I don’t know exactly what that means and what shades will be available, but it seemed like a good time to do a top five featuring the brand!
- Limited Edition Eyeshadow Palettes — their eyeshadow formula is amazing–soft, silky, buttery, and dense–and the limited edition palettes are as lovely as their permanent palettes
- Eye Dream Hyperliners — all day, every day, these eyeliners are creamy, long-wearing, and ultra-pigmented (Spark of Envy being my fave)
- Dollskin Cheek Blushes — silky-smooth, pigmented, and blendable blushes in wearable hues
- Jewel Eyeshadow Palettes — if you love richly pigmented, buttery, smooth eyeshadows, highly recommend these!
- Conditioning Lip Sheen — luminous lip color with good color coverage, hydrating wear
Have you tried Tarina Tarantino Beauty products before?
One question I get asked a lot prior to Sephora’s winter sale (20% off for VIBs with code VIBTOPIA, 11/7 through 11/11!) is, “What do you recommend?” This is a loaded question! There are so many ways to answer this question! The way I tend to frame my answer is in the context of, “What have I wanted to buy but felt was a little too expensive normally? What favorites do I need to stock-up on?” I think sales offer us an opportunity to indulge in something that might be above our price point comfort zone the rest of the year, or be more willing to take a chance on a brand we’re not familiar with (because they’re not cheap!) as well as stock-up on things we know we’ll use over and over again.
Of course, it being the holiday season, there are also plenty of seasonal offerings to indulge in like sets and palettes–you can see my top palette picks in full here as well as some picks for sets and kits generally. Those both cover some of the seasonal offerings, and this post is less focused on seasonal/limited edition as it is just really fantastic products that I highly recommend from trying them.
Products to Indulge In — Lips
- Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick ($22 @ Sephora, see my review here) — great if you love creamy, more emollient lipsticks with high pigmentation and moderate lasting power
- YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stains ($34 @ Sephora, see my review here) — long-wearing, moderately pigmented color that doesn’t dry out lips
- Givenchy Le Rouge ($36 @ Sephora, see my review here) — creamy, luminous opaque lip color that wears well, makes lips look smoother than they really are
- Guerlain Rouge G Lip Color ($49.50 @ Sephora, see my review here) — Rouge G is a long-time favorite (still reigning supreme after years and years of trying new formulas) for long-wear, hydration, opacity, and feel
- Buxom Full-Bodied Lipstick ($21 @ Sephora, see my review here) — superbly hydrating, smooth, rich color that wears well
- Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lipgloss ($24 @ Sephora, see my review here) — for a high-gloss, insanely shimmering/glimmering gloss
Products to Indulge In — Face
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush ($26 @ Sephora, see my review here) — a variety of gorgeous shades from intensely pigmented to subtly neutral with a soft, blendable formula
- Illamasqua Velvet Blusher ($26 @ Sephora, see my review here) — perfect for someone who loves the feel and blendability of of a cream blush but look and finish of a powder
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder ($45 @ Sephora, see my review here) — a gorgeous finishing/luminizing powder to give that something special to the skin (and don’t forget the Ambient Lighting Palette!)
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer ($ @ Sephora, see my review here) — creates a lovely, smooth canvas and helps keep makeup on longer
Products to Indulge In — Eyes
Most of what I wanted to recommend (in terms of what came to mind) were palettes, which I’ve recommended previously here.
- Hourglass Visionaire Eyeshadow Duo ($38 @ Sephora, see my review here) — buttery, soft texture and intense color payoff
- bareMinerals Ready Eyeshadow ($30 & up @ Sephora, see my review here) — one of my all-time favorite eyeshadow formulas for texture and color payoff
- Dior Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadows ($30 @ Sephora, see my review here) — obsessed with these pigmented cream eyeshadows that wear well
Products to Indulge In — Nails
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored Hi-Shine Nail Lacquer ($18 @ Sephora, see my review here) — high-shine, long-wearing formula with a nice range of colors/textures
- Illamasqua Nail Varnish ($17 @ Sephora, see my review here) — one of my all-time favorites for application, wear, and range
- Guerlain Nail Lacquer ($23 @ Sephora, see my review here) — so glossy and high-shine, pigmented, long-wearing
Products to Stock-Up On
These are your favorites, but this is a little list of basics that we sometimes blank on but often have a favorite we use quite frequently, so consider what you reach for in these product types:
- Eyeshadow Primer
- Lip Balm/Lip Care
- Top/Base Coats (for nails)
- Makeup Remover
Are you indulging in Sephora’s upcoming VIB sale? What’s on your list? What would you recommend to someone?
And if you aren’t a VIB, while Sephora has hinted at upcoming promotions for BIs as well, they haven’t confirmed what that means (could just be more samples, free shipping, etc. or it could be really awesome), Beauty.com’s F&F sale is open to all with 20% off.
As someone with a warmer complexion, I always go gold during the holidays, but I would be remiss if I didn’t consider the opposite–silver–which can work well to brighten and reflect just as nicely as gold!
- Le Metier de Beaute Platinum — a bright, metallic silver
- NARS Interstellar — a frosted, metallic silver cream
- Urban Decay Cuff — a brightened silver eyeliner–perfect for brightening up a smoky eye
- Inglot #447 — an extremely bright silver with a highly metallic finish in powder form
- Zoya Electra — silver tinsel with a holographic finish to make any nail color festive
What’s your favorite silver-hued beauty product?
One of my favorite shades in makeup (especially for eyes and nails) is pewter. I love that it’s this mix of gray, gold, silver, and green–it can be such a complex shade.
- Dior Millenium — shimmering, warm-toned pewter in a cream formulation that can be worn sheer or opaque
- MAC Antique Diamond — a metallic golden pewter with soft sparkle in a cream form
- Benefit Skinny Jeans — a classic green-leaning pewter with a golden bronze sheen
- Inglot #454 — a lovely light-medium golden pewter with a frosted, metallic finish
- Urban Decay Addiction — limited edition but still available (so I couldn’t resist), this is a beautiful green-ish, dirty gold for tips
What’s your favorite pewter-hued beauty product?
Harley Quinn Makeup Tutorial by Julia Graf
My favorite part about Halloween is actually seeing all of the insanely creative people in the beauty community showcase their talent and skills with really over-the-top makeup, complete with tutorials. Really, I just like seeing the transformation. I highly recommend checking out the robust Halloween tutorial playlists of the likes of Julia Graf (aka MissChievous), Kandee Johnson, GoldieStarling, Pixiwoo, and the classic Petrilude. For great DIY costumes in addition to makeup, Macbarbie07 has your number!
I invite you to share your favorite Halloween tutorials (but they can’t be your own, it’s about sharing the love!) in the comments below! If you find a new favorite, don’t forget to subscribe to their channel and like their video!