Here are some of the eyeliners I’ve been reaching for to brighten my lower lash line these days! I tend to use them on my lower water line, beneath the inner corner of my eye, or paired with a richer eyeliner. What are your favorites?
- Sephora Strawberry Macaroon — a pop of pearly pink is an easy way to wear pink without adding redness to the eye
- L’Oreal Highlighter (230) — a pearly pink-peach is great for brightening and lifting, especially below a darker eyeliner
- Tarina Tarantino Broken Doll — a pink-tinted white always seems to bring out the whites of my eyes
- Sephora Blonde Ambition — a light beige with a pearly sheen, which is nice for brightening the waterline or inner corner
- Sephora Girl Talk — a softened gold with a metallic sheen (funny enough, I didn’t love it initially, but I often reach for it to pair with brown eyeliner to add brightness)
>> See side-by-side swatches! <<
Thanks for the fun, 2014! Here is a wrap-up in case you missed any of the top 10 lists this year, which doubles as my top 100 beauty products that I tried during the past year. This has been the most productive year on record for me, personally, in regards to reviewing products. I was a lot better this past holiday season at turning around palettes and sets, which is a major feat for me! Thank you for your continued readership during the year, and I hope you’ll stick around to see what 2015 has to bring for all of us.
May your 2015 be filled with love, laughter, good health, and joy! Happy new year!
The Top 10s of 2014
Here are some fun facts about 2014…
- 1148 x Posts under “Reviews”
- 2395 x Posts (all categories)
- 436 x Cheek/Face Swatches (972 in total*)
- 1030 x Lip Swatches (2,319 in total*)
- 4955 x Swatches (14,127 in total*)
- 8018 x Product Photos (20,451 in total*)
* Based on images that are inventoried for MyTemptalia, so it doesn’t include the first four or so years of photos/swatches!
When I think about “Most Disappointing,” it doesn’t always mean all the Fs, because it can also mean formulas or products that you’ve come to expect A-level quality from that end up C-level (or worse!) quality, which is possibly more disappointing than a product that was never great to begin with. There were also some new formulas that were introduced this year that had little to no ability to be saved!
- MAC Techankohl Liners — the majority of the shades in the new-for-2014 shade extension release were disappointing with poor color payoff and wear
- Stila Body Eyeshadow Palette — beyond disappointing and gets a place as one of the worst palettes I’ve ever dealt with
- Gucci Potent Violet Lip Lacquer — by “intense color,” they must have meant “barely there”
- Tom Ford Ice Queen Eye Quad — difficult to apply, shorter-wearing, subpar color payoff
- bareMinerals Lasting Line Eyeliner Sets — a painfully stiff, dry, and poorly pigmented formula
- Kat Von D Star Studded Eyeshadow Palette — though it didn’t get the lowest score overall, it had some beyond dismal shades, like Gothica, which was like purple sand and introduced me to a texture I had never seen (and hope never to see again)
- Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick — another formula with mostly disappointing shades in what could have been a real winner (still kills me how bad these were/are)
- Urban Decay Shadow Box Palette — a major departure from Urban Decay’s signature formula left me majorly disappointed with this one
- NARS Night Series Eyeliners — so much potential, but lacking in color payoff
- Chanel Sweet Star — there are so many stellar teal eyeliners to choose from, how a brand can charge $29 and put out a poor performing one leaves me utterly confused
What were your big beauty disappointments this year?
A lot of new favorite formulas were launched this year, like Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy and NARS Audacious, which certainly made it extra challenging to narrow down favorites to a list of ten. As much as I love coral lipsticks, I found several non-coral colors that made my heart sing, too
What were favorite lipsticks to wear this year?
I tend to like my lipgloss to be rather pigmented, and for the rare occasions I fall in love with a gloss that isn’t pigmented, it’s usually ridiculously sparkly. This list definitely reflects those preferences! I hope to hear from you about your personal faves!
- Chanel Crazy Fuchsia — a slightly muted, fuchsia-raspberry with shimmer and full color coverage
- NARS Corisca — a muted, rosy pink with subtle gold shimmer and mostly opaque coverage
- MAC Clear Water — a dazzling, ultra-sparkly gloss
- Chanel Audace — a muted, plummy brown with fine gold shimmer
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Gone Bad (216) — a bright, neon orange-red with opaque color coverage
- Illamasqua Touch — a bright red with light shimmer and mostly opaque pigmentation
- Hourglass Ballet — a brightened, light-medium pink with blue undertones and a creamy, glossy shine
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Boom Boom — a bright, fuchsia pink with shimmer
- Chanel Affriolant (13) — a light-medium, coral-pink with very fine shimmer
- OCC Aurora — a light-medium, yellow-toned pink with a subtle shine (I loved it, despite it not quite living up to claims)
What were your go-to lipglosses this year? Which shades did you discover?
It was tough, but here’s my list of favorites for individual eyeshadows (which means they aren’t only available in duos, quads, or palette — see Best Makeup Palettes of 2014 for those!). As you might expect, it was hard to narrow it down, and I’m a fan of variety and spreading the love around, so I chose favorites across brands and formulas (though some got two picks!). Some of the formulas where I felt like I could have picked another dozen favorites out of, I linked below so you can see the full range and explore options that might better align with your personal tastes, too.
I’m not sure exactly how many individual eyeshadows I reviewed this year and often review three or more in a single post (eyeshadows from palettes are all in the same category), but I have 306 posts categorized under “eyeshadow” and 26 for “cream eyeshadow,” so probably in the neighborhood of 1500 eyeshadows for the year (including palettes). I like to reflect back on what was covered over the year, because it helps me compare year over year how productive I was Numbers like that always fascinate me!
What were your favorite eyeshadows you tried this year? New go-to combinations?