I feel like this was the year of the eyeliner when it came to choosing my favorite budget-friendly eye products. It was hard not to make a list just for eyeliners, because there were so many amazing shades to choose from!
- Makeup Geek Moondust Eyeshadow — medium-dark, warm-toned taupe with a metallic finish
- Sephora Surfer Babe Eyeliner — a rich, medium-dark blue with a pearly finish (looks SO good on the lower lash line for a pop of color!)
- ColourPop I Heart This — a sparkly light-medium gold with a metallic, glittering finish (very appropriate for a New Year’s Eve post!)
- Sleek Arabian Nights Eyeshadow Palette — from rich, bold, and deepened shades from beige to cobalt to burgundy, there was a lot to love in this palette!
- Sephora Flirting Game Eyeliner — shimmering taupe eyeliner? I’m there, there, AND still there! Great alternative to black and brown eyeliner
- L’Oreal True Teal Eyeliner — one of my new favorite teal eyeliners (and I am a true connoisseur of teal eyeliner!) for its rich color payoff and intense vibrancy
- Makeup Geek Barcelona Beach Eyeshadow — a soft, muted, medium brown with subtle rosy tones and a satin finish
- Sephora Go For a Ride Eyeliner — a deep, forest green with a subtle, pearly sheen
- Makeup Geek Mesmerized — a rich, medium-dark taupe brown with a metallic finish
- L’Oreal Cobalt Blue Eyeliner — one of the most intense blue eyeliners I’ve ever come across, period
What were your favorite budget-friendly eyeshadows and eyeliners this year?
There’s little sweeter in beauty than when a product performs exceptionally well and comes with a wallet-friendly price tag! These lip products prove you don’t need to spend a lot to get bold, bright, or unique colors. I love seeing brands put out better and better budget-friendly alternatives so that anyone and everyone can find the right products for their budget! Here are my favorite shades of lipstick and gloss that won’t break the bank from 2014:
What are your must-have budget-friendly lip products that you tried in 2014?
Competition was stiff! I reviewed around 150 quads, palettes, and duos this year (there are actually 227 posts filed under “makeup palettes,” but this category also includes multi-products sets, like an eyeliner set), and I can attest that the year was plentiful when it came to warm, neutral-themed palettes to choose from. As much as I enjoy warmer neutrals myself, I hope to see something different trend this upcoming year. When I think about favorites, they’re products that impressed me when I reviewed them, and when I revisit the post or palette, I fall in love with it all over again. They’re not just highly rated; they’re products that I really, really loved personally. Here are my top ten from the year:
- Make Up For Ever 30th Anniversary — one of my favorite products that released this year, the Artist Shadow formula is impressive, and I loved the diversity of shades and finishes included in the set (plus, value was strong!) (runner-up: Artist Palette!)
- Tom Ford Nude Dip — a stunning combo of neutrals with a shimmery finish that I like to travel with
- Chanel Tisse Rivoli (226) — a set of warm-toned neutrals with satin to frost finishes that blended beautifully on the skin
- LORAC Unzipped — this was new-to-me this year, and if you’re a big fan of warm, rosy neutrals, it’s well-worth considering
- Marc Jacobs Beauty The Siren (210) — a more muted, “wearable” version on a bright eyeshadow palette that had fantastic color payoff and blendability
- NARSissist Dual-Intensity — though slated for January 2015 release, I covered it earlier this month, and it was impressive with a good selection of shades, color payoff, and packed with value
- Burberry Gold No. 25 — full of khaki beiges and golds that were so soft and finely-milled they nearly blended themselves
- Urban Decay Pulp Fiction — Urban Decay’s matte formula has never been so good as it is in this palette–I wish every matte they put out from now on had the textures of these
- LORAC Pro 2 — it shines as a palette that understands the importance of having more variety in undertones and finishes
- bareMinerals The Magic Act — one of the few eye and cheek palettes that is actually good across both categories! It’s incredibly slim and travel-friendly, while the colors work well together and are highly pigmented
What were your favorite makeup palettes from 2014?
Today, I’ll be sharing with you my favorite products that I’ve reviewed this year (both new-to-me and newly released). Last year, it was fun to see what the most popular posts were from the entire year, and this year, I wanted to continue the tradition of kicking off my 2014 favorites’ lists with a year-in-review for the blog. It was awesome to see NARS and Too Faced take places in the top posts this year, as last year was dominated by MAC/Urban Decay (which is still true). It was also amazing to see how many readers visited the awards and the top 10 of 2013 posts throughout the year as well. Hope you enjoy the ones for this year–incoming!!
Here are the 14 most popular posts from 2014:
- 2014 Editor’s Choice Awards
- NARS Audacious Lipstick Overview & Thoughts
- Urban Decay Naked3 Eyeshadow Palette Review, Photos, Swatches
- MAC Playland Lipsticks Reviews, Photos, Swatches
- Top 10 of 2013: Best Makeup Palettes
- Round-up: MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection Overview & Thoughts
- Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eye Palette Review, Photos, Swatches
- MAC x The Simpsons Collection for Fall 2014
- MAC Alluring Aquatics Lipsticks Reviews, Photos, Swatches
- Urban Decay Naked3 Eyeshadow Palette Swatch Comparisons
- MAC All Fired Up, Dangerous, Fixed on Drama, Flat Out Fabulous Lipstick Reviews
- MAC x Kelly Osbourne Lipsticks Reviews, Photos, Swatches
- MAC A Novel Romance Lipsticks Reviews, Photos, Swatches
- MAC Matte Lip Lipsticks Reviews, Photos, Swatches
Earlier this season, I posted several gift guides featuring my favorites to give and receive. I’ve received several questions from readers about what they should splurge on with their holiday gift cards, and I thought I’d highlight my lists of top picks for those of you looking for something special to give yourself this year–all but the holiday 2014 list feature permanent products.
For more recommendations, I suggest browsing my past reviews by rating or seeing what products I’ve given the Temptalia Recommends designation. For a list of all my favorites, see the Editor’s Choice Awards.
|Featuring the best of the season’s holiday palettes, sets, kits, and limited edition offerings. View the full list here.
|A compilation of the top formulas of lipstick and lipgloss that I’ve tried over the years–the ones well-worth considering! From the ultra-luxe Guerlain Rouge G to ridiculously pigmented Too Faced Melted Lipstick, view the full list here.
|For the ultimate splurge, there are Tom Ford’s Cheek Color (and I actually just bought a back-up of Love Lust myself!) and decadent highlighters from Cle de Peau, but wait, there’s so many more! — view the full list here.
|There are an array of formulas and products that won’t break the bank but will feel like a real treat to use! I’m obsessed with L’Oreal True Teal Silkissime Eyeliner this season. Check out my top budget-friendly picks are here.
As promised, here are five of my favorite more neutral/basic shades of from Sephora’s Contour Eye Pencils. You can see all the shades I’ve reviewed here. I really like the more pearly/metallic finish shades, as they tended to have the creamiest consistency and most pigmentation in a single pass. What are your favorite budget-friendly eyeliners for basics?
- Sephora Flirting Game — a cool-toned, taupe brown with a pearly sheen
- Sephora Cocoa — a warm, dark brown with a pearly sheen
- Sephora Sun Tan — a pop of metallic copper-brown
- Sephora Girls Night Out — a warm, honey gold with a metallic finish
- Sephora 5th Avenue — a deepened gray with a matte finish
>> See side-by-side swatches! <<