Macy’s is having their Friends & Family Sale! You can head on over here! to get your coupon or just use code MACYSFRIEND now through December 15th for 20% off and free shipping (some exculsions).
Anastasia (yes, of the brow brand!) has listed several tips on getting glamorous eyes, ranging from how to open up your peepers to the perfect brow. Visit ExpertEyes to read them, and you can also enter to win a spa weekend in Beverly Hills.
My favorite tip is her advice on getting a good brow shape:
Achieving a well-shaped brow isn’t easy, especially on your own. That’s why I recommend you to have your brows done professionally (at least once) to get insights on your specific facial structure — and on how to maintain your look at home. Once you have a basic know-how, you can work on your precision and your patience. Just keep a few things in mind.
Think before you tweeze. Not every shape is right for every face, so consider a shape that complements your eyes. Try mapping out your “design” by filling it in with a brow pencil.
Check yourself out. Always tweeze a single row at a time, in the direction the hairs grow. Then take a step back and look in the mirror for a checkup. (If your brows are a bit unruly, comb them flat with a brow brush before tweezing.)
Fill in the blanks. Once your shape is in place, you can start to define it. If your brow hairs are sparse, or you just want more definition, fill in the shape with a brow pencil that matches your brow color, or one that’s a shade lighter. Or experiment with brow shadows for a softer, more natural look.
Today is World AIDS Day 2008, which is held each year on December 1st. It is a day when everyone comes together to raise awareness about the AIDS epidemic. This year marks the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day. As the organization’s site says, “Whilst we have come a long ways since 1988, there is still much more to be done.”
If you’re looking for a way to get your beauty on and raise some awareness, check out:
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 ($8.50), which sports the symbolic red ribbon. During the entire month of December, 100% of the proceeds of this lip balm will be donated to YouthAIDS.
- MAC Cosmetics’ Viva Glam Products are available year-round and 100% of the selling price goes to MAC AID Fund. Several choices in lipglasses and lipsticks are available.
What can $14 do?
$14 would produce 28 copies of free treatment and prevention information
$14 provides round-trip transportation for three people to attend support programs
$14 buys pantry items for nutrition program serving women living with HIV/AIDS
$14 buys formula for 15 babies
$14 covers the cost of school supplies for five teens affected with HIV/AIDS
$14 provides materials to support four volunteer tutors
$14 buys one unit of Therapeutic Recreation for one client
$14 pays for one food pantry bag, containing enough food for a family of three for one day.
$14 purchases one Hospitality Kit, containing personal hygiene and grooming products,
given to clients upon entering a housing program.
– MAC AIDS Fund Factsheet
Q&A with Jeanne Van Phue, Head Makeup Artist for Twilight
Q: What was the process for creating the various characters’ looks?
A: Katherine Hardwicke, the director, and I have previously worked together on a movie called “Lords of Dogtown,” so we know each other very well. I began by preparing sketches of my vision, keeping in mind the descriptions Stephenie Meyers (Twilight’s Author) set forth in the books.
Bella’s (Kristen Stewart’s character) description in the novel is very pale and extremely beautiful with large chocolate brown eyes, so she wore colored lenses every day. I also pictured her as a natural beauty, which is exactly what Kristen is. I used a light hand while applying all neutral colors to make her look as though she had no makeup on.
Edward’s (Robert Pattinson’s character) description in the novel is impossibly handsome almost god-like. His skin is marble-pale, hard as stone and ice cold, but perfect and flawless. Edwards’ eyes are described as topaz colored when he is normal and black like onyx, when hungry.
Q: Were there any changes to the looks of the characters that weren’t planned?
A: At the beginning, Katherine Hardwicke visualized Edward with long hair, yet after studying his face and jaw line in the makeup test, the decision was made to go with short hair to accentuate his amazing jaw line.
Q: What was the overall look of the makeup in this movie?
A: All the vampires had to be pale, but I didn’t want them to look to ghoulish, somewhere between Sweeney Todd and Interview with the Vampire. The choice was made for a denser, more opaque look for the supporting vampires and a lighter look for the leading man.
The challenge was they still had to look beautiful and handsome. The key was striking the delicate shading balance. We had two weeks of makeup test. This is the time for a makeup artist to unleash their imagination. During the testing Katherine let me know when I was on the mark. Katherine has a fabulous eye for detail and everything I did had to be approved by her.
Q: Were there any other challenges you encountered while working on location in Portland, Oregon?
A: The rain was a huge challenge. We were outside, and it rained the entire time we were there. Most of the shots were exterior; trying to fix makeup in the rain with wet faces and wet brushes was difficult. In the end, I must say I loved working on this movie, it challenge my creativity as never before. The cast was such a great group of talented young actors.
Q: What were your non-makeup related responsibilities in terms of creating this look?
A: Another one of my jobs was too find a contact lens specialist. So I called upon the expertise of Cristina Patterson Ceret FX lens/painter from Professional VisionCare.
Q: What MAC products did you use on the film Twilight?
A: The M.A.C products I used on this film were eye shadows and powder for our principles. We had several other characters and day players I used M.A.C. foundations, lipsticks and blushes.
Q: How long have you used MAC products?
A: In 30 years as a makeup artist in my career and over 50 movies, MAC products have played an integral part in my work. I have probably used all of them at one time or another. I choose the cosmetics based on their skin tone and whether they are oily or dry. It also depends on how the product reacts to their particular skin type.
MAC Makeup used on Bella played by Kristen Stewart
- Blot Powder/Pressed in Light
- Eye Shadow on Blanc Type, Flute and Wedge
MAC Makeup used on Edward played by Robert Pattinson
- Blot Powder/Pressed in Light
It’s Friday, and what better way to pass the day than to do a little online shopping? Whether it’s bargain hunting for yourself or crossing off some holiday gifts for your family and friends… here are some coupons, deals, and steals!
- Get free shipping using code MCHAUTE8. Free shipping for $30+ orders with code VIPSHIP.
- Silver Flash Cosmetic Bag- only $2.99 with select makeup purchase at AVON!
- Makeup Sale: Buy 1, Get 1 at Half Price at AVON!
- liiv botanicals Vital Body Moisturizer- only $1.99 with select liiv purchases at AVON!
- Avon Basics Body Lotions or Face Cream- get any 3 for $10 at AVON!
- Free shipping on your Avon order of $40 or more!
Bath & Body Works
- Free Bath & Body Works Signature Collection item with any $10 purchase (up to a $12 value). Code: FREESC
- Free True Blue Spa OR Aromatherapy Item with any $10 purchase (up to a $15 value). Good thru November 2nd, 2008 with code ATSPA
- Aquolina Body Mousse Set ($48 Value) Only $10!
- $10 off $60!
- Gifts with Purchase from Prestige Beauty Brands.
- Free US Standard Shipping with purchase of any of our holiday products. Enter promo code HOLIDAYS at checkout. Offer valid 10.21.08 to 10.28.08.
- Free US Standard Shipping on ANY order on Oct. 30th and 31st only! Enter promo SPOOKY08 at checkout.
- Save up to 75% on our sale section
- Free International Shipping with $100 purchase. Use code INTLSHIP.
- Get 10% off your first order with code HEYTHERE. Get free shipping with $50+ using PRETTY50.
- Free standard shipping and a free 1 oz. high intensity hand cream on all purchases of $75. Enter code 108916.
- Get free shipping and a free tote when you spend $75.
- Save 15% using code 108911.
- Clarins, give the gift of beauty year round. Free Shipping and samples for purchases $75 and above! Clarins USA Official Store
- Season’s Greetings from Clarins, Gifts & Sets for all budgets starting from $25 & FREE SHIPPING Promo code: HOLIDAYFS
- Receive FREE Shipping and a FREE travel-size Moisture Surge™ with your $35 clinique.com purchase. MSURGE. Expires 10/31/2008
- Free shipping for new customers with CCNEW.
- It’s Clinique Bonus Time! Choose your FREE 7 piece Gift with any $21.50 clinique.com purchase. Hurry, offer expires 11.08 or while supplies last!
- Exclusive Gift with any purchase of $95 or more!
- Free Standard Shipping with purchase of any 2 OLIVE products!
- FREE standard shipping on orders of $80 or more.
- Get a Free Sample with purchase of $50 or more. Enter code SAM50 at checkout.
- Free Shipping with $50 purchase. Enter code SHIP50 at checkout.
- Get $5 off a regular size Skin Nanny, Paradise Regained or Vanishing Cream moisturizer on your next order. 3CREAMTEASE08.
- Get free shipping with codes: CS91LIVECHAT, REDSAID8.
- Get a free 4 oz body wash with code WELCOME10.
- Get $25 off $100+ with code HOLIDAY2008, expires December 31, 2008.
- 20% off 1 item at Ulta.com
- Get $5 off of any $10 purchase, expires November 1st, using code 96306.
MAC Cosmetics’ Halloween How-to Video! (From MAC!)