I have to admit: this was a complete challenge. In fact, it felt unfair trying to narrow down favorites to a mere ten when I was considering around 300 different shades from the past year. As what tends to happen when I start to feel indecisive, I went for favorites across brands and weighted uniqueness slightly more heavily than other factors. But there were some really outstanding formulas released this year! At year-end, I have to give major props to Cult Nails and OCC, both of which had a lot of contenders.
- Cult Nails Masquerade Nail Lacquer — so, so multi-dimensional with its gold to rose gold to magenta to green coloring and micro-glitter
- Chanel Taboo Le Vernis — a striking, dazzling deep, dark purple that sparkles and catches light like crazy
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Petra (140) Enamored Hi-Shine Lacquer — a cool-toned, purplish-gray taupe with copper and bronze metallic shimmer
- Dior Diablotine (643) Vernis — something about this bold, warm-toned red and its flecks of sparkle captured my attention so, so fiercly this year
- OCC Black Metal Dahlia Nail Lacquer — it’s a ridiculous deep, dark metallic red with so much depth
- Illamasqua Facet Nail Varnish — taupe with flecks of copper and molten gold sparkle and shimmer–couldn’t even come close to duping this
- Cult Nails Faded Nail Lacquer — a flawless, pale cool-toned gray cream–so difficult to this well
- Color Club Beyond Nail Lacquer — a soft black with holographic shimmer (and all of the accompanying Color Club holographic shades were beyond fantastic, too)
- Urban Decay Zodiac Nail Color — I fell head-over-heels for this smoky, forest green with flecks of sparkle and shimmer
- Zoya Amy Nail Lacquer — a glowing–truly, it just felt like it was illuminated from within–reddish-orange with molten gold sparkle
What were your favorite polishes you tried this past year?
One of my favorite colors of all-time is emerald green. It has so much depth, and I love that it can be cooler or warmer and be so, so different.
- Zoya Logan — a very cool-toned, glittering emerald green polish
- Milani Green Safari — an amazing emerald green cream eyeshadow that can be used as eyeliner or as a base
- Illamasqua Violate — because I can’t have a list that doesn’t include an emerald green lip color
- Zoya Holly — vibrant, warm-toned emerald green
- Make Up For Ever #80 — a smoky, slightly blackened emerald green eyeshadow
Have you worn any emerald green beauty products before?
Glittering golds… a go-to for New Year’s Eve, at the very least, but surely just as lovely throughout the winter–if only to brighten up some of those chilly days!
- Lit Cosmetics Rich & Famous — a holographic, glittering gold
- Zoya Kerry — bright, true yellow gold with glitter and sparkle
- Bobbi Brown Canary — a sparkling gold glitter gloss to be worn alone or layered
- Revlon Gold Coin — an almost-cool-toned metallic gold (or for a high-end, Illamasqua Swinger)
- Sugarpill Goldilux — a brightened, metallic, true yellow gold
What are your favorite glittery, sparkly, or metallic gold-hued shades?
Zoya Naturel Collection
The natural nail only better… The Zoya Nail Polish Naturel collection masters delicate tone on tone color with six new, full-coverage (opaque) neutral nudes with a pink undertone, that can be worn beautifully alone or stunningly together to create modern tonal accents.
The Look: It’s not about matching – it’s about coordinating colors with slight tonal differences to create interest.
- Chantal French vanilla cream
- Taylor Light toffee cream
- Rue Boudoir blush cream
- Brigitte Bombshell mauve cream
- Odette Sultry maroon cream
- Normani Sable mauve cream
Availability: January 2014 at zoya.com, $9.00 each
As someone with a warmer complexion, I always go gold during the holidays, but I would be remiss if I didn’t consider the opposite–silver–which can work well to brighten and reflect just as nicely as gold!
- Le Metier de Beaute Platinum — a bright, metallic silver
- NARS Interstellar — a frosted, metallic silver cream
- Urban Decay Cuff — a brightened silver eyeliner–perfect for brightening up a smoky eye
- Inglot #447 — an extremely bright silver with a highly metallic finish in powder form
- Zoya Electra — silver tinsel with a holographic finish to make any nail color festive
What’s your favorite silver-hued beauty product?
It might be cliche to opt for a top five of orange-colored products with Halloween a few weeks away, but hey! it’s just an excuse to pay homage to some of my favorite oranges.
- Buxom Rogue — a luminous, rich orange-red with intense color payoff and a wonderfully comfortable formula
- Zoya Amy — a rich, molten orange with hints of deep gold and metallic shimmer
- Sugarpill Flamepoint — a true orange with a matte finish that’s incredibly pigmented
- Maybelline Electric Orange — a lush orange with a glossy sheen for under $10!
- Sleek Sunset #4 — it may be part of a palette (which I try to avoid, but the price point on this palette is so low, plus the palette is amazing from start to finish, I couldn’t resist!), but it’s such a bright and rich shade of tangerine with so much color payoff!
What’s your must-have orange-hued beauty product?