YSL Golden Red (37) Golden Gloss
YSL Golden Red (37) Golden Gloss
YSL Golden Red (37) Golden Gloss ($30.00 for 0.20 oz.) is a near-opaque holiday red with gold shimmer and a high gloss finish. It has a orange base but doesn’t pull to fiery on me at all. I love that despite the opaqueness of the color, it doesn’t bleed at all.
my thoughts on the formula: Fun fact: Golden Gloss really does contain gold–0.2% of 24 carat gold to be exact. It’s a shimmering non-sticky, moisturizing gloss that has a sweet mango scent. Typically, these wear four hours on me. Some are sheer, some are more opaque; usually, the darker shades are the ones that are more likely to be opaque.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 29/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: If you’re a fan of more pigmented glosses and have been looking for an orange-based red, Golden Red should work quite nicely.
where to buy: Nordstrom
YSL Spring 2011 Makeup Collection
Do not be fooled by appearances. Look for the fire beneath the ice. She hides her wild bohemian side behind a mask of innocence. Delicateness of a bare shoulder. Seduction embodied by her every move. Pink worn next to the skin: carnal pink, passion pink, excitement pink. A touch of powder. Fluttering eyelashes. Stolen kisses. Artist of her own beauty, she is an Yves Saint Laurent woman. The color caresses her bare skin and illuminates her porcelain complexion: her cheekbones intensely flushed. Her lips kissed with in a vibrant pink petal. The intensity of her piercing eyes, heightened with graphic inky blues. Exquisite shades of shadow and light.
“After a rock and baroque themed winter, spring is back with a burst of fresh roses to flush the cheeks while enhancing the complexion with a seemingly innocent purity. Sensual full lips in bright pink or coral light up the face. A bold touch of eyeliner completes the look.” — Lloyd Simmonds
Palette Celebration ($65.00) (Limited Edition)
A versatile complexion highlighter and the ultimate beauty enhancer, Palette Celebration imparts a new radiance to the face for flawless skin. The powder peach shade diffuses light, producing a delicately satin-smooth glow that is 100% Couture. Suitable for all complexions, apply it to the face, eyes, on the neckline and shoulders, any time.
Creme de Blush ($38.00) (New)
An irresistible product, easy to apply with an instinctive and sensual motion: just smile to bring out the contours of the cheekbones, then apply Crème de Blush gently with your fingertips. On contact with the skin, the creamy texture turns into a light powdery film. Velvety soft, light and airy, its exceptionally smooth texture blends perfectly and the color adapts like a “second skin”.
- N° 1 – Velvety Peach
- N° 2 – Powdery Rose
- N° 3 – Silky Praline
- N° 5 – Temptation Fuchsia
- N° 6 – Passion Red
Mascara Singulier ($30.00) (New)
Ombre Solo ($30.00) (New)
- N° 15 – Gold Leaf
- N° 16 – Topaz Blue
Golden Gloss ($30.00) (New)
- N° 40 – Golden Impertinence
- N° 41 – Golden Insolence
- N° 42 – Golden Obsession
- N° 43 – Golden Irreverence
Availability: February 2011
Givenchy #14, MAC Prussian, Dolce & Gabbana #8, YSL #03, MUFE #3L, MAC Marine Ultra, UD Binge, Chanel Marine, tokidoki Skeletro, MUFE #15L
Dark/Navy Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
As promised, here are navy blue pencil eyeliner comparisons!
- Givenchy #14 Magic Khol is a sheer violet-toned navy blue.
- MAC Prussian Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened blue with a subtle violet edge.
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- YSL Oriental Blue (03) Eyeliner is a medium-dark, brightened navy blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- MAC Marine Ultra Chromagraphic Pencil is a medium-dark ocean blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner is a darkened navy blue with purple tinge. (Review)
- Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver shimmer. (Review)
- tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver glitter. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #15L Aqua Eyes is a lightened dark blue with soft sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It appears that Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner and Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes are rather similar — possibly just the slightest difference in blue-ness.
DUPE ALERT!Both Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner and tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner are not far behind, just slightly darker and with a stronger blacker base, but the two themselves are quite similar. Skeletro has more glitter (whereas Marine has shimmer).
Formula/Wear: I have not tested Givenchy Magic Khol, so I cannot attest to its wear. YSL Eyeliners don’t seem to last all day on me, and Dolce & Gabbana can be hit or miss, but this particular shade lasted through a yoga session (and all day). tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners can be scratchy on the lash line because of the size of the glitter particles but wear fine otherwise.
Prescriptives Blue Grotto, NYX Emerald City, MUFE #20L, MUFE #12L, Stila Peacock,
NARS Kaliste, Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy, UD Covet, UD Flipside, YSL #9, Chanel Jade
Teal Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
This is a mix of green, blue, and teal–I was going for just, but some of these look rather blue.
- Prescriptives Blue Grotto Eye Kohl is a deep teal-blue with a near matte finish. I swatched this one, even though it’s been discontinued, because I was hoping to find a dupe for it in a permanent liner so I could wear it more often in looks! NARS Kaliste gets very close in color, but NARS Eyeliner migrate so badly on me.
- NYX Emerald City Eye Pencil is a dark forest green.
- Make Up For Ever #20L Aqua Eyes is a green-teal with very fine teal shimmer. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #12L Aqua Eyes is a medium-dark blue with blue sheen. (Review)
- Stila Peacock Smudge Stick is a bright medium blue. It’s not as teal as you’d think–it definitely pulls rather blue, but it is a beautiful shade. It’s almost a royal blue. (Review)
- NARS Kaliste Eyeliner is a bluish teal with a near matte finish. It’s very similar to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. I love the color and the softness of the pencil, but it smudges so badly on me. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy Eyeliner is a medium teal with silver sparkle and reflective sheen. Fans of Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner formula will also like Tarina Tarantino’s. (Review)
- Urban Decay Covet 24/7 Liner is a dark jewel-tone teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Flipside 24/7 Liner is a bright, light-medium blue. (Review)
- YSL #9 Eyeliner is a soft blue with a smidgen of teal. (Review)
- Chanel Jade Stylo Yeux is a green-teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you have better luck with NARS Eyeliner than I do, you can dupe with NARS Kaliste Eyeliner.
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners and YSL Eyeliners. NARS Eyeliners migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! YSL Eyeliners do some smudging and budging, too–not as much as NARS, but still not liners I would go to first.
Black is Black is Black?
Black Eyeliner Comparisons
Are there shades of black? Indeed there are! Not every black eyeliner is the same. There are soft blacks, medium blacks, and deep blacks (and of course, variations within those categories). To try and make some sense of it all, I’m going to assign numerical ratings based on how black each liner is, with 10 being deep, dark black, 1 meaning so light that it’s almost no longer black, and 5 meaning a medium black.
- Shiseido Black Noir (BK 901) Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil has an amazing creaminess to it, and it is almost a true, deep black. (Review) 9
- MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil some creaminess but has some hardness (but not in a bad way–it’s not rough on eyes at all), and it is a true dark black — leans on the warm side. (Review) 10
- MAC Feline Kohl Power is a rich, deep dark black that’s easy to smudge. It is a limited edition product, so it’s not currently available but is often repromoted. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner is a rich, deep dark black–creamy without being runny. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner is a softened, medium black. It is a slightly warmer black on me. (Review) 4
- MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened medium black. 6
- MAC Smolder Eye Kohl is a dark black with cool leanings. 8
- MAC Graphblack Technakohl is a medium black. 5
- Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner is a dark black with a cool pull. (Review) 8
- Stila Stingray Smudge Stick is a dark black with neutral to cool undertones. (Review) 8
- YSL #1 Eye Pencil is a rich black, almost ultra black, with a very matte finish. (Review) 9
- Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner is a rich, glossy black. The glossiness makes it look less inky, though. (Review) 8
- Benefit BADgal Liner is a creamy, dark black with warm leanings. (Review) 8
I included review links when I had them to share, but I had some wear issues with YSL’s #1 Eyeliner, Bobbi Brown’s Black Kohl Eyeliner, and Benefit’s BADgal.
The darkest: MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil, MAC Feline Kohl Power, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner
Dark: Shiseido Black Noir Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil, YSL #1 Eye Pencil
Medium-dark: MAC Smolder Eye Kohl, Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner, Stila Stingray Smudge Stick, Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner, Benefit BADgal Liner
Medium: MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil, MAC Graphblack Technakohl
The lightest: Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner
YSL Metallic Colorama Holiday 2010 Collection
Metallic Colorama Palette ($65.00) (Limited Edition)
A shimmering, pink champagne powder for the face and décolletage.
Ombres Duolumieres ($41.00) (Limited Edition)
- No. 33 Silver grey/golden plum
Golden Gloss ($30.00) (Limited Edition)
- Golden Carat Gold
- Golden Chocolate Bronze
- Golden Red Beige
Rouge Pur Shine ($30.00) (Limited Edition)
- Rose Metallique Soft rose
- Or Metallique Gold
La Laque (Limited Edition)
- Gold (139)
- Bronze (140)
- Silver (141)
Touche d’Or ($40.00) (Limited Edition)
Taking inspiration from the YSL Metallic Colorama Collection, this highlighter is like liquid gold for the face. Offering a lovely, overall illuminating effect for the complexion, Touche D’Or looks lovely by day and seductive by night.
Availability: October 2010