When it comes to eyeshadows, by and large, most of the ones covered these days are found in palettes! There are definitely plenty of reviews of singles, but palettes outnumber them easily. To compile this list, though, I only think it’s fair to focus on the singles (that’s why there’s a whole top ten for palettes, so they’re not left out!) that made my heart pitter-patter and go all aflutter. As always, I tried to go across formulas and colors, picking the best of the best, though I couldn’t help myself from choosing two from Dior’s new cream formula.
- Tom Ford Escapade Cream Color for Eyes — it’s a golden peach with a metallic sheen; but this (paired with Pink Haze) is my go-to combination for a bright, warm eye–I’ve reached for this nearly every time I have a “no-testing” day
- Sugarpill @#$%! Eyeshadow — a bold, warm-toned red with silver sparkle
- NARS Persia Eyeshadow — a superbly pigmented, burnt orange with a matte finish
- Dior Millenium (381) Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow — a glorious blackened brown with bronze and pewter shimmer
- MAC Brazenly Eyeshadow — a richly pigmented purple-berry with a frosted sheen (if every collection by MAC was as high quality as Nudes & Metallics, we’d all be in big trouble)
- Illamasqua Sadist Eyeshadow — a bold, vibrant cornflower blue with a matte finish
- Urban Decay Peace Eyeshadow — reformulated, it was so soft, smooth, and intensely pigmented
- Dior Aventure (081) Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow — a gray and bronze-shimmered black-brown (it says something when I buy every single shade available in a formula, as I did with this one)
- MAC Tailor Grey Pro Longwear Paint Pot — a deliciously creamy, satin-matte taupe with subtle warm undertones
- Sephora My Boyfriend’s Jeans (19) Eyeshadow — a cool-toned, bluish-purple with intense pigmentation (almost never happens!)
What eyeshadows captured your attention this past year?
2013 was good year for lipsticks, particularly if you loved yours bold, bright, and/or matte. There were new formulas to fall in love with, and plenty of new and limited shades released from my favorite formulas. This was a tough list to compile! Because I really do believe variety is the spice of life, I tried to pick across a variety of formulas!
- Givenchy Fuchsia Irresistible (205) Le Rouge — a vibrant, fuchsia-pink with a satin finish and opaque color coverage, but let me take a moment and tell you that the entire Le Rouge range is amazing
- Buxom Swinger Full-Bodied Lipstick — a vibrant, blue-based magenta with a creamy finish (and I fell in love with the Full-Bodied formula overall–excellent range!)
- Guerlain Madame Batifole (860) Rouge G — a brightened, medium-dark berry-red with fuchsia shimmer
- Urban Decay Catfight Revolution Lipstick — a creamy, pinky-red with warm undertones and a luminous sheen
- Giorgio Armani #402 Lip Maestro — a bright, vibrant orange-toned red in a liquid formula
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Showstopper (134) LoveMarc Lip Gel — a medium-dark, red-brown with warm undertones and a glossy sheen
- MAC Private Party Lipstick — a muted, pink-tinged plum with a satin finish
- Too Faced Jelly Bean La Creme — bold, vibrant, and bright berry-pink
- Maybelline Electric Fuchsia — a bright, bold blue-based fuchsia pink–this formula is incredible, and it’s only made sweeter by the affordable price point
- Givenchy Violine Precieux (312) Le Rouge Sensuously Matte — a warm-toned, medium-dark plum with a satin-matte finish
What lipsticks did you fall in love with this past year?
When it comes to lipgloss, I personally fall in love with two types: insanely pigmented, nearly opaque colors or glimmering, dazzling, sparkling, and shimmering ones–but they have to be loaded with sparkle (and yet, they can’t feel gritty!). Over the years, while stickiness isn’t a deal-breaker, I don’t like heavy, thick, goopy kind of glosses. Reflecting on glosses I’ve tested out this past year, here were the ones I picked for my top ten!
What were your must-have lipglosses from 2013?
I have to admit: this was a complete challenge. In fact, it felt unfair trying to narrow down favorites to a mere ten when I was considering around 300 different shades from the past year. As what tends to happen when I start to feel indecisive, I went for favorites across brands and weighted uniqueness slightly more heavily than other factors. But there were some really outstanding formulas released this year! At year-end, I have to give major props to Cult Nails and OCC, both of which had a lot of contenders.
- Cult Nails Masquerade Nail Lacquer — so, so multi-dimensional with its gold to rose gold to magenta to green coloring and micro-glitter
- Chanel Taboo Le Vernis — a striking, dazzling deep, dark purple that sparkles and catches light like crazy
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Petra (140) Enamored Hi-Shine Lacquer — a cool-toned, purplish-gray taupe with copper and bronze metallic shimmer
- Dior Diablotine (643) Vernis — something about this bold, warm-toned red and its flecks of sparkle captured my attention so, so fiercly this year
- OCC Black Metal Dahlia Nail Lacquer — it’s a ridiculous deep, dark metallic red with so much depth
- Illamasqua Facet Nail Varnish — taupe with flecks of copper and molten gold sparkle and shimmer–couldn’t even come close to duping this
- Cult Nails Faded Nail Lacquer — a flawless, pale cool-toned gray cream–so difficult to this well
- Color Club Beyond Nail Lacquer — a soft black with holographic shimmer (and all of the accompanying Color Club holographic shades were beyond fantastic, too)
- Urban Decay Zodiac Nail Color — I fell head-over-heels for this smoky, forest green with flecks of sparkle and shimmer
- Zoya Amy Nail Lacquer — a glowing–truly, it just felt like it was illuminated from within–reddish-orange with molten gold sparkle
What were your favorite polishes you tried this past year?
Choosing my top ten favorite palettes from the ones I tested and reviewed in 2013 was a lot more difficult than I anticipated! To give you an idea on how stiff the competition was, there were 128 reviews filed under “makeup palettes,” so you can see there were plenty to choose from! (And if you were curious, I have 1,261 posts filed under “reviews,” and the majority of those posts feature more than one shade, for the past year.) I considered which ones gave me warm, fuzzy feelings, that were high quality, and that I could really reach for over and over again. With those things in mind, here are my favorites…
- Urban Decay Naked3 Eyeshadow Palette — nicely pigmented, rosy-themed palette that I loved and will definitely be traveling with in the future
- Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette for Eyes — it’s no surprise that this was a favorite, given how difficult it was to track it down, but I loved the plummy vibe and mixture of mattes and satins
- Sleek Makeup Sunset i-Divine Palette — this palette was incredibly pigmented; not only is it incredibly affordable, it was fantastic in quality
- Dior Bonne Etoile Eyeshadow Palette — a gorgeous palette featuring five shimmering, earthy shades–wish Dior made this their regular formula
- Too Faced Pretty Rebel Eyeshadow Palette — it’s no surprise that this makes the list as it was bright, colorful, intensely pigmented, and a cinch to use
- Le Metier de Beaute Femme Fatale — an interesting color combination and filled with more unique shades than not–if only LMdB was more accessible and wasn’t so limited
- bareMinerals The Wild Thing Eyeshadow Quad — mint, chartreuse, and blue? shades that speak to my heart, so thank goodness they were of quality!
- Sugarpill Cold Chemistry Eyeshadow Palette — a cool-toned, four-pan palette that’s nearly irresistible
- LORAC Pro Palette — it’s a great option for someone who likes warm-toned eyeshadows and can’t decide between matte and frost
- Guerlain Coup de Foudre Eyeshadow Quad — I loved the unusual color combination
What were your favorite palettes that you tried this past year?
If gold isn’t quite your style when it comes to the holidays, how about silver? I personally love wearing silver as an eyeliner or as an eyeshadow base for a smoky eye.
- Lit Tinsel Town — a glittering, holographic silver perfect for adding sparkle and dazzle to any look
- Maybelline Silver Strike — a bright, metallic silver that’s easy to use as an eyeliner or as a cream eyeshadow
- Urban Decay Cuff — a bright, silver eyeliner with a soft metallic sheen
- NYX Ice Glitter — silver and holographic glitter top coat to add just that touch of wintry dazzle to your nails
- Inglot #447 — a bright, light metallic silver powder eyeshadow that opens and brightens the eye
What are your favorite silver-hued beauty products?