24/7 Shadow Pencils: Sin, Lit, Midnight Cowboy, Rehab, Wasteland, Mercury
Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils: Part 1
For spring, Urban Decay’s launching a brand new product: 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencils ($20.00 for 0.10 oz.), which come in twelve different shades. There are six included in this post: Sin (champagne shimmer), Lit (sunny bronze shimmer), Midnight Cowboy (beige with fine gold sparkle), Rehab (taupey brown sheen), Wasteland (dark brown sheen), and Mercury (gunmetal grey sheen).
- Sin is a light-medium pink-beige champagne with a frosted sheen. It swatched very comparably to Sin Primer Potion–it seemed less frosty.
- Lit is a softened orange-gold with a frosted sheen. It’s actually similar to Guerlain’s Gold Eyeliner, but it has no similarity to either Eldorado (which is a yellow gold) or Baked (much darker, bronzy).
- Midnight Cowboy is a medium beige with flecks of gold glitter. The glitter seems finer than what is in the eyeshadow. I was crossing my fingers that this would resemble Midnight Cowboy 24/7 Liner (which is exclusive to the 24/7 Liner Anniversary Set), but it’s not. The liner is definitely lighter, a little warmer.
- Rehab is a dark red-toned chocolate brown with a smidgen of taupe. It is similar to Underground 24/7 Liner–a hair darker, cooler, perhaps, but it could be a potential skip in lieu of other shades that are less similar.
- Wasteland is a cool-toned olive brown with fine gold shimmer. It didn’t match up with any of the 24/7 Liners. It’s more like a mix of Stash and Bourbon but compares to neither alone.
- Mercury is a silvered gray with frosted sheen. It seemed warmer when swatched next to Gunmetal 24/7 Liner, which also looks bluer.
These really do feel like jumbo-sized 24/7 Liners–they are smooth, creamy, and glide across the lid with ease. I will say that these seem more pigmented than the 24/7 Liners. You really get true color with one stroke, and even lighter shades go on opaque. I wore Clinic (to-be-reviewed) on one eye and Midnight Cowboy on the other eye for twelve hours yesterday, and I didn’t experience any creasing. I wore them both all over the lid and above the crease, applied with the pencil itself, and straight on the lid (no primer).
I later wore just Rehab all over the lid and above the crease, blended out with fingertips, with Rehab over Urban Decay’s Primer Potion on one lid and by itself on the other. This test was more about blendability and how it would work over a base. It dries down quickly; it’s smudgeable and blendable for 15-20 seconds, but you’ll want to work pretty fast if you’re blending two or more of the Shadow Pencils together. Lighter shades like Sin, Lit, and Midnight Cowboy are beautiful all-over lid shades–for those mornings where all you have are two minutes to spare.
I thought it was interesting that there was very little overlap in the names. It seems like Urban Decay often uses the same names (and the corresponding shade) across product types (e.g. Ransom 24/7 Liner, Ransom Eyeshadow), but most of these are new names. Meaningless in terms of the product itself, but it made me curious as to what else we might see from Urban Decay in 2011. It also made me curious given that there are some shades that are rather close to existing 24/7 Liners.
They are shorter than 24/7 Liners (just over 5.5″), but they are definitely fatter–they also contain over twice the product (.10 oz. vs. 0.04 oz.) and only cost $3 more ($20 vs. $17). In terms of high-end products, they compare to NARS Shadow Pencils in look (doesn’t migrate), but they perform well, like MAC Shade Sticks (creamier, though). I’m pleasantly surprised at how the price/quantity worked out here. All in all, I’m liking these so far, and they make excellent colored eyeshadow bases that can also double as eyeliner. So far, I’ve found they adhere well to the lid without creasing or fading.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 29/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 5/5
RECOMMENDATION: If you like Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners, I think you’ll like these. Whether you use these as eyeliner or as an eyeshadow, they work as well, if not better, than the 24/7 Liners–since they’re more pigmented but wear just as well.
AVAILABILITY: January 2011 @ urbandecay.com; early February 2011 @ Beauty.com, Macy’s, Sephora, & ULTA
Urban Decay Spring 2011 Products
All products available at urbandecay.com in January 2011, in-stores and other retailers (Beauty.com, Macy’s, Sephora, ULTA) in early February.
15th Anniversary 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set ($92.00) (Limited Edition)
This collectible set features 15 incredible 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils, each one stamped with our 15 year anniversary artwork and showing off a shiny silver cap and base (except our Perversion pencil, shrouded in matte black from top to base), plus a special-edition Grind House Double Barrel Sharpener embellished with the “UD 15″ logo.
- Asphyxia Pinky iridescent purple (New, Exclusive)
- Baked Bold bronze
- Binge Deep metallic navy blue
- Bourbon Medium brown with gold sparkle
- Corrupt Dark metallic brown with silver sparkle (Exclusive)
- Electric Bright aquamarine blue
- Midnight Cowboy Beige with gold sparkle (New, Exclusive)
- Mildew Deep mossy green
- Perversion Blackest carbon black (New, Exclusive)
- Ransom Bright iridescent purple
- Rockstar Darkest eggplant
- Stash Dark olive with gold sparkle
- Stray Dog Shimmery brown taupe (New, Exclusive)
- Uzi Gunmetal grey with sparkle (New, Exclusive)
- Zero Zealous black
24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil ($20.00)
Following in its mama’s (24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils) footsteps, 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil has made the impossible possible… eyeshadow in pencil form with bragging rights so fierce all other shadow pencils have been put to shame: highest color payout, longest wear time, smoothest application, no creasing, easiest to blend before dry down, and hottest color selection. Twice as fat as our 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, the Shadow Pencil fits perfectly into the larger barrel of your Grindhouse Double Barrel Sharpener and sharpens to a fine point for precision lines or to a rounded tip for thick smudgeable lines.
- Barracuda Black with fine silver sparkle
- Clash Bright electric blue with fine silver sparkle
- Clinic Deep peacock green with fine green sparkle
- Delinquent Deep jewel purple with fine purple sparkle
- Lit Sunny bronze shimmer
- Mercury Gunmetal grey sheen
- Midnight Cowboy Beige with fine gold sparkle
- Morphine Iridescent lilac
- Narc Mossy green sheen
- Rehab Taupey brown sheen
- Sin Champagne shimmer
- Wasteland Dark brown sheen
Afterglow Glide-On Cheek Tint ($24.00)
Get that “special glow” without the risk of morning-after regrets with Afterglow Glide-On Cheek Tints by Urban Decay. For effortless radiance and the natural-looking glow of a cream without any greasy feel, bask in Afterglow Glide-On Cheek Tint. Non-greasy but with a glide-on feel, our high-tech formula contains just the right amount of slip. Seven scintillating shades provide lightweight, sheer, buildable color that glides on top of any foundation or bare skin and flashes down instantly.
- Bang Sheer coral red
- Crush Sheer hot pink
- Fetish Sheer mauve with fine pearlized finish
- Greedy Sheer blackberry
- Indecent Sheer apricot with pearly gold shimmer
- Quickie Sheer bubble-pup-electric pink
- Score Sheer pink lemonade with fine pearlized finish
24/7 Shadow Pencils: Sin, Lit, Midnight Cowboy, Rehab, Wasteland, Mercury
Urban Decay Spring 2011 Sneak Peek
In addition to the 15th Anniversary 24/7 Eyeliner Set ($92.00), Urban Decay is introducing new 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencils ($20.00 each) in 12 shades, a new Blending Brush ($16.00), seven shades of After Glow Glide-on Cheek Tints ($24.00), Lush Lash System (growth accelerating serum and conditioning mask) ($42.00), False Lash Mascara ($18.00), Supercurl Curling Mascara ($22.00), a full-size Greed Primer Potion ($18.00), and two new shades of their 24/7 Lip Pencils in Illegal and Midnight Cowboy ($18).
Since a lot of these products are new, I will be doing full reviews in the next day or so. Gotta test for wear, y’know! I will be sure to include comparisons for the 24/7 Shadow Pencils against the existing liners, as well. Please no questions until I post the review – I know as much about these as you do at this point! This is just a sneak peek, so there will be more photos and swatches to come.
Here are quickie swatches to hold you over… Continue reading →
Green Eyeliner: MAC Tealo, Korres #4, MUFE #16L, MAC Jade Way,
UD Mildew, shu uemura #07, UD Graffiti, tokidoki Sandy, MUFE #17L, CoverGirl
Green Glow, NARS Parrot Cay, Korres #12
Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I’m always surprised by the sheer variety you can have within a single color. You have deep, muted, cool, warm greens. You have undertones. You have finishes. It’s just incredible how even a slight alteration to a color can change it.
- MAC Tealo Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened green-based teal with a creamy matte finish.
- Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil is a muted medium-dark green with a creamy matte finish.
- Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes is a muted medium green with green shimmer. It is a lighter version of Korres #4. (Review)
- MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner is a dark teal with a softly blackened teal base. It is a tealer version of Urban Decay’s Mildew.
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It has a blacker base, and less teal and more green than MAC Jade Way. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Green 07 Drawing Pencil is a light-medium green base with a soft golden sheen.
- Urban Decay Graffiti 24/7 Liner is a medium grassy green with cool undertones. (Review)
- tokidoki Sandy Glitter Eyeliner is a medium grassy green with warmer undertones and gold glitter. It is yellower and a little brighter (plus has gold flecks) compared to Urban Decay’s Graffiti. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes is a pale chartreuse green with strong gold sheen. It is a much lighter, paler version of CoverGirl Green Glow. (Review)
- CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast is a bright pop of chartreuse green with a lighter chartreuse sheen. (Review)
- NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner is a pale sea foam green with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to Korres #12 but leans greener. (Review)
- Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil is a pale aqua with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to NARS Parrot Cay, but it leans a little bluer.
SIMILARITY ALERT! (I don’t think any of these are close enough to call a true dupe, but there are a couple that are quite similar.) The general feel of Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil and Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes are very similar, but Korres is a shade or two darker and has less shimmer. MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner and Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner also seem similar at first glance, though MAC Jade Way has less black in its base and is tealer, while Urban Decay Mildew has a blacker base and leans greener. Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes and CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast are both chartreuse greens, but CoverGirl Green Glow is much darker and brighter–less gold. NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner and Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil are also similar, but NARS leans greener while Korres leans bluer (but they are close!).
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners, which migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! I have not tested shu uemura’s formula at this time. CoverGirl tends to need a second pass for true color intensity. I’m not a fan of tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners, because their texture is rather rough from the gritty glitter, but they wear fine.
Khaki Eyeliner: Shiseido Black Sand, MAC Buried Treasure, Make Up For Ever #5L,
Urban Decay Stash, shu uemura ME Khaki, MAC Rosemary & Thyme, Chanel Khaki Dore,
Stila Moray, Urban Decay Mildew
Khaki & Olive Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I love antique golds/tarnished greens, and as a result, I do tend to gravitate towards these shades, especially in eyeliners. I find they pull out the warmth in my hazel eyes–Urban Decay’s Stash is a total go-to liner for me. Other green shades will be compared separately.
- Shiseido Black Sand Smoothing Eyeliner is a black base with green and tarnished gold shimmer. (Review)
- MAC Buried Treasure Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a blackened olive brown with soft green and dark gold shimmer. It’s similar to Shiseido’s Black Sand, but the base is browner and less true green shimmer; seems warmer.
- Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Stash 24/7 Liner is a dark tarnished gold with sheen. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. It is a hair darker than Make Up For Ever’s #5L.
- MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl is a khaki green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It is greener than Make Up For Ever #5L and Shu Uemura’s #09. (Review)
- Chanel Khaki Dore Crayon Yeux is a warm khaki brown with subtle gold and green hints. It is significantly less green than the others here. (Review)
- Stila Moray Smudge Stick is a deep tarnished green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It’s most comparable to Urban Decay’s Stash, but the green base is much stronger in Moray, making them noticeably different. (Review)
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It almost seems like an olive green initially, but it’s far too cool and lacks the golden sheen of the rest in this comparison. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you like khaki green-golds, Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes, MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl, and shu uemura’s ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil are all very similar. The shu shade is a little greener than the other two.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no wear issues with any of the formulas here, with the exception of shu uemura’s, which I haven’t tested. Stila Smudge Sticks and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eye wear best on the water line for me (but I do not know whether either are tested for the water line). MAC Eye Kohls are the creamiest, with Urban Decay right behind it.
What are your favorite khaki/olive green eyeliners?
Silver Eyeliner: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban
Decay Dime, Guerlain Silver, Urban Decay Gunmetal, CoverGirl Silver Spark, Urban Decay Uzi
Silver & Gray Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
It looks like metallic silver has been done by quite a few brands, doesn’t it? When it comes to grays, though, I don’t have nearly enough to give a particularly great comparison, but of the three darker grays I own, there are more differences between the three than with the five silver shades.
- Milani Silver Liquif’Eye Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Urban Decay’s Dime. (Review)
- L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning Chrome Eyeliner is a metallic silver. It is very similar to Guerlain’s Silver, and it is a little darker than the other three silver shades here. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #8L Aqua Eyes is a metallic silver. It is a little lighter than the other four silver shades here. (Review)
- Urban Decay Dime 24/7 Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Milani’s Silver.(Review)
- Guerlain Silver Stylo Yeux is a metallic silver. It is very similar to L’Oreal HIP’s Silver Lightning; it is a little darker than the other three metallic silver shades here. (Side note: I received this relatively recently, but yet I could hardly find any information on it… anywhere.)
- Urban Decay Gunmetal 24/7 Liner is a darkened silver-gray with shimmer. (Review)
- CoverGirl Silver Spark Liquiline Blast is a bluish silver-gray. It’s similar to Gunmetal, but it is bluer and has less shimmer. (Review)
- Urban Decay Uzi 24/7 Liner is a blackened silver. I was hoping to find you a dupe for this one but no such luck. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! The first five shades are all quite similar: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban Decay Dime, and Guerlain Silver . L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning and Guerlain Silver is are a hue darker than the other three. Make Up For Ever #9L is the lightest of the five.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no notable issues with wear with any of these formulas (with the exemption of Guerlain’s Stylo Yeux, which I have not tested). They all wear all day for me (tested for at least 12 hours) without budging or migrating. L’Oreal HIP and Milani are the creamiest, with Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners following shortly after (still creamy, though). Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes are firmer but still doesn’t tug on the lash line. CoverGirl Liquiline Blasts sometimes need a second pass for true color pay off but otherwise wear fine.
What are your favorite silvers and grays?