Khaki Eyeliner: Shiseido Black Sand, MAC Buried Treasure, Make Up For Ever #5L,
Urban Decay Stash, shu uemura ME Khaki, MAC Rosemary & Thyme, Chanel Khaki Dore,
Stila Moray, Urban Decay Mildew
Khaki & Olive Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I love antique golds/tarnished greens, and as a result, I do tend to gravitate towards these shades, especially in eyeliners. I find they pull out the warmth in my hazel eyes–Urban Decay’s Stash is a total go-to liner for me. Other green shades will be compared separately.
- Shiseido Black Sand Smoothing Eyeliner is a black base with green and tarnished gold shimmer. (Review)
- MAC Buried Treasure Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a blackened olive brown with soft green and dark gold shimmer. It’s similar to Shiseido’s Black Sand, but the base is browner and less true green shimmer; seems warmer.
- Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Stash 24/7 Liner is a dark tarnished gold with sheen. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. It is a hair darker than Make Up For Ever’s #5L.
- MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl is a khaki green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It is greener than Make Up For Ever #5L and Shu Uemura’s #09. (Review)
- Chanel Khaki Dore Crayon Yeux is a warm khaki brown with subtle gold and green hints. It is significantly less green than the others here. (Review)
- Stila Moray Smudge Stick is a deep tarnished green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It’s most comparable to Urban Decay’s Stash, but the green base is much stronger in Moray, making them noticeably different. (Review)
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It almost seems like an olive green initially, but it’s far too cool and lacks the golden sheen of the rest in this comparison. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you like khaki green-golds, Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes, MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl, and shu uemura’s ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil are all very similar. The shu shade is a little greener than the other two.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no wear issues with any of the formulas here, with the exception of shu uemura’s, which I haven’t tested. Stila Smudge Sticks and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eye wear best on the water line for me (but I do not know whether either are tested for the water line). MAC Eye Kohls are the creamiest, with Urban Decay right behind it.
What are your favorite khaki/olive green eyeliners?
Silver Eyeliner: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban
Decay Dime, Guerlain Silver, Urban Decay Gunmetal, CoverGirl Silver Spark, Urban Decay Uzi
Silver & Gray Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
It looks like metallic silver has been done by quite a few brands, doesn’t it? When it comes to grays, though, I don’t have nearly enough to give a particularly great comparison, but of the three darker grays I own, there are more differences between the three than with the five silver shades.
- Milani Silver Liquif’Eye Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Urban Decay’s Dime. (Review)
- L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning Chrome Eyeliner is a metallic silver. It is very similar to Guerlain’s Silver, and it is a little darker than the other three silver shades here. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #8L Aqua Eyes is a metallic silver. It is a little lighter than the other four silver shades here. (Review)
- Urban Decay Dime 24/7 Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Milani’s Silver.(Review)
- Guerlain Silver Stylo Yeux is a metallic silver. It is very similar to L’Oreal HIP’s Silver Lightning; it is a little darker than the other three metallic silver shades here. (Side note: I received this relatively recently, but yet I could hardly find any information on it… anywhere.)
- Urban Decay Gunmetal 24/7 Liner is a darkened silver-gray with shimmer. (Review)
- CoverGirl Silver Spark Liquiline Blast is a bluish silver-gray. It’s similar to Gunmetal, but it is bluer and has less shimmer. (Review)
- Urban Decay Uzi 24/7 Liner is a blackened silver. I was hoping to find you a dupe for this one but no such luck. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! The first five shades are all quite similar: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban Decay Dime, and Guerlain Silver . L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning and Guerlain Silver is are a hue darker than the other three. Make Up For Ever #9L is the lightest of the five.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no notable issues with wear with any of these formulas (with the exemption of Guerlain’s Stylo Yeux, which I have not tested). They all wear all day for me (tested for at least 12 hours) without budging or migrating. L’Oreal HIP and Milani are the creamiest, with Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners following shortly after (still creamy, though). Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes are firmer but still doesn’t tug on the lash line. CoverGirl Liquiline Blasts sometimes need a second pass for true color pay off but otherwise wear fine.
What are your favorite silvers and grays?
Gold Eyeliner: Tokidoki Unicorno, Guerlain Gold, Make Up For Ever #9L,
Urban Decay Eldorado, Urban Decay Honey, Milani Gold, L’Oreal HIP Gold Charge, Stila Koi
Gold Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
There are certainly lots of variations on gold but one particular hue seems to find its way into multiple ranges, and I’ve deliberately excluded more antique golds (to-be-posted), but these are the more traditional golds, based on the products I own. (Please assume that if it’s not here, I do not own it.)
- Tokidoki Unicorno Glitter Eyeliner is a pale white gold base with darker gold glitter. (Review)
- Guerlain Gold Stylo Yeux is a golden orange-peach–looks yellower in the pencil than swatched. (Side note: I received this relatively recently, but yet I could hardly find any information on it… anywhere.)
- Make Up For Ever #9L Aqua Eyes is a lightened yellow gold. It’s not a dupe for Urban Decay’s Honey (or Eldorado). (Review)
- Urban Decay Eldorado 24/7 Liner is a true yellow gold. You can tell it is significantly different from Honey. (Review)
- Urban Decay Honey 24/7 Liner is a rustic gold with a molten gold-bronze glint. This is one of my favorite colors, but apparently Urban Decay discontinued it. It is similar to the next three eyeliners, but it seems a hue darker. (Review)
- Milani Gold Liquif’Eye Liner is a deep metallic gold. It has a nearly identical texture and color to L’Oreal HIP’s Gold Charge. (Review)
- L’Oreal HIP Gold Charge Chrome Eyeliner is a deep metallic gold. It has nearly identical texture and color to Milani’s Gold. (Review)
- Stila Koi Smudge Stick is a deep, metallic gold. The color is nearly identical to both Milani’s Gold and L’Oreal HIP’s Gold Charge, but it’s a mechanical pencil, so it’s not quite as creamy. (Review)
Urban Decay Honey is now discontinued, but for those feeling the heartbreak and are running low, you may want to consider any of the following as close sisters: L’Oreal HIP Gold Charge, Milani Gold, or Stila Koi.
DUPE ALERT! If it wasn’t visually obvious, L’Oreal HIP Gold Charge, Milani Gold, and Stila Koi are near identical. L’Oreal HIP Chrome Eyeliner and Milani Liquif’Eye Liner formulas are quite similar, too–both creamy eye pencils that glide on smoothly (creamier than Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners, by-the-by). Stila Smudge Sticks are mechanical pencils, and they have known packaging woes (takes forever to get it to twist, often you can’t twist it back in).
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no notable issues regarding overall wear with this set of eyeliners (exempting Guerlain Stylo Yeux, which I haven’t tested). For more specifics, I urge you to review the particular product’s review. Tokidoki Unicorno Glitter Eyeliner is a bit rough/scratchy against the lash line, because of the glittery bits.
What are your favorite golds?
Brown Eyeliners: Tokidoki Savana, CoverGirl Brown, Milani Brown, Chanel Brun-Cuivre, Chanel Brun-Teak
Need More Brown Eyeliner…
I went through my pencil eyeliners and picked out shades I thought would fit in the “brown eyeliner” category, but between you and me, using the color of the packaging is definitely not the ideal way to do it. I ended up with a few shades (okay, four) that don’t fit well within the brown family. I had a feeling my brown eyeliner stash was a bit skimpy, and it definitely is–don’t really feel like this is a full comparison!
- Tokidoki Savana Glitter Eyeliner is a coppery brown with soft copper shimmer. It has warm undertones. (Review)
- CoverGirl Brown Liquiline Blast is a dark neutral brown. (Review)
- Milani Brown Liquif’Eye Eyeliner is a miedum-dark brown that’s pretty neutral, though it has red undertones. (Review)
- Chanel Brun-Cuivre (66) Precision Eye Definer is a medium-dark copper brown with soft copper shimmer. It is significantly darker than tokidoki’s Savana.
- Chanel Brun-Teak (02) Precision Eye Definer is a medium-dark brown with subtle warm red undertones.
- Urban Decay Bourbon 24/7 Liner is a medium brown with a bit of taupe and flecks of bronze shimmer. (Review)
- Urban Decay Corrupt 24/7 Liner is a dark chocolate brown with warm amber undertones. (Review)
- Urban Decay Underground 24/7 Liner is a light-medium taupe brown with a metallic sheen. (Review)
- MAC Uniform Technakohl Liner looked brown on the end, but it’s actually a khaki green-brown with subtle olive tones and green shimmer. I wouldn’t consider this brown.
- MAC Brownborder Technakohl Liner is a medium-dark brown with warm, red undertones. It is extremely similar to Chanel’s Brun-Teak.
- Dolce & Gabbana #11 Eye Liner is a blue-based black with flecks of green and teal shimmer. Not brown!
- Dolce & Gabbana #1 Eye Liner is a purple-black with green and teal shimmer. Not brown! (Review)
- Jouer Mure Eye Definer is a darkened plum with multicolored shimmer. Not brown!
Honestly, most of these seemed pretty different from each other. Some have only slight differences, but they were still noticeable whether one was lighter or darker than the other. I’ll have to see what I can do about rectifying my brown eyeliner situation and re-do a comparison when I have more.
I only have wear issues with Dolce & Gabbana’s Eye Liners–sometimes they wear all day, but sometimes it seems to fade after six hours or so. I don’t personally like Tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners because they are rather scratchy/rough against the lash line from the glitter particles, but it wears fine.
The creamiest formulas were Milani Liquif’Eye, CoverGirl Liquiline Blast, Urban Decay 24/7 Liner, and Chanel Eye Definer. MAC Technakohls are twist-up pencils, so they allow for a much finer, precise application.
What are your favorite brown eyeliners?
Black is Black is Black?
Black Eyeliner Comparisons
Are there shades of black? Indeed there are! Not every black eyeliner is the same. There are soft blacks, medium blacks, and deep blacks (and of course, variations within those categories). To try and make some sense of it all, I’m going to assign numerical ratings based on how black each liner is, with 10 being deep, dark black, 1 meaning so light that it’s almost no longer black, and 5 meaning a medium black.
- Shiseido Black Noir (BK 901) Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil has an amazing creaminess to it, and it is almost a true, deep black. (Review) 9
- MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil some creaminess but has some hardness (but not in a bad way–it’s not rough on eyes at all), and it is a true dark black — leans on the warm side. (Review) 10
- MAC Feline Kohl Power is a rich, deep dark black that’s easy to smudge. It is a limited edition product, so it’s not currently available but is often repromoted. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner is a rich, deep dark black–creamy without being runny. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner is a softened, medium black. It is a slightly warmer black on me. (Review) 4
- MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened medium black. 6
- MAC Smolder Eye Kohl is a dark black with cool leanings. 8
- MAC Graphblack Technakohl is a medium black. 5
- Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner is a dark black with a cool pull. (Review) 8
- Stila Stingray Smudge Stick is a dark black with neutral to cool undertones. (Review) 8
- YSL #1 Eye Pencil is a rich black, almost ultra black, with a very matte finish. (Review) 9
- Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner is a rich, glossy black. The glossiness makes it look less inky, though. (Review) 8
- Benefit BADgal Liner is a creamy, dark black with warm leanings. (Review) 8
I included review links when I had them to share, but I had some wear issues with YSL’s #1 Eyeliner, Bobbi Brown’s Black Kohl Eyeliner, and Benefit’s BADgal.
The darkest: MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil, MAC Feline Kohl Power, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner
Dark: Shiseido Black Noir Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil, YSL #1 Eye Pencil
Medium-dark: MAC Smolder Eye Kohl, Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner, Stila Stingray Smudge Stick, Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner, Benefit BADgal Liner
Medium: MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil, MAC Graphblack Technakohl
The lightest: Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner
Urban Decay 15th Anniversary 24/7 Eyeliner Set
Sneak Peek: Urban Decay 15th Anniversary 24/7 Eyeliner Set
In 2011, Urban Decay will turn 15 years, and to celebrate, they are releasing a set of 15 24/7 Eyeliners. The 15th Anniversary 24/7 Eyeliner Set ($92.00 for 0.04 oz. x 15) includes full-sized eyeliners in:
Stray Dog (shimmering brown taupe), Corrupt (dark metallic brown with silver glitter), Bourbon (medium brown with gold sparkle), Midnight Cowboy (beige with gold sparkle), Baked (bold bronze), Stash (dark olive with gold sparkle), Mildew (deep mossy green), Perversion (blackest carbon black), Electric (bright aquamarine blue), Binge (deep metallic navy blue), Ransom (bright iridescent purple), Asphyxia (pinky iridescent purple), Rockstar (darkest eggplant), Zero (zealous black), and Uzi (gunmetal grey with sparkle).
All of the eyeliners included in the set are full-sized (0.04 oz. each), and a full-sized eyeliner retails for $17, which means you are getting $255 worth of eyeliner for $92, plus Urban Decay’s Grind House (their sharpener, retails for $9), which is actually my favorite sharpener–use it for all brands myself.
It is a great set for someone who is new to Urban Decay or who hasn’t yet stocked up on their 24/7 Eyeliners, because there are a lot of permanent inclusions and overlap with previous holiday mini-sets. This holiday’s Jackpot 24/7 Eyeliner Set included seven that overlapped (Stash, Mildew, Electric, Binge, Ransom, Rockstar, and Zero), while last year’s Super Stash Eyeliner Set included six that overlapped (Stash, Rockstar, Ransom, Binge, Corrupt, Zero).
The good news? There are six shades not currently available permanently, but if they were–all six would set you back $102 (still more than the whole set).
- Stray Dog is a mushroom brown–definitely taupe. This is a new shade exclusive to the set.
- Corrupt is a dark chocolate brown with warm amber undertones. This is a new shade exclusive to the set (well, that’s what the press release says, but it was included in 2009′s Super Stash mini-set).
- Bourbon is a medium-dark warmed-up brown. This is a permanent shade.
- Midnight Cowboy is a shimmering champagne peach with a subtle metallic sheen. This was my second favorite from the set–this is totally a shade that is lacking in the 24/7 range. It is a great shade to brighten up eyes. This is a new shade exclusive to the set.
- Baked is a frosted coppery bronze. This is a permanent shade.
- Stash is an antique gold with a slight metallic sheen. This looks amazing with green eyes. This is a permanent shade.
- Mildew is a forest green with subtle gold shimmer. This is a permanent shade.
- Perversion is a rich, deep dark black with a near matte finish. It is gorgeous! MAC Feline Kohl Power lovers will fall in love with this shade. It would be a shame if Urban Decay didn’t make this permanent. This is a new shade exclusive to the set.
- Electric is a bright, neon cyan blue with subtle shimmer-sheen. This is a permanent shade.
- Binge is a navy blue with a hint of violet with soft blue micro-shimmer. This is a permanent shade.
- Ransom is a fuchsia-tinged violet with soft sheen. This is a permanent shade.
- Asphyxia is a fuchsia base with fuchsia-violet shimmer and sheen. It was surprisingly sheer–it did not have the color pay off of the average 24/7 Liner. This is a new shade exclusive to the set.
- Rockstar is a rich eggplant with a slight metallic sheen. This is a permanent shade.
- Zero is black. It’s not too dark, not too light, just black. This is a permanent shade.
- Uzi is a gunmetal silver with teal-green and silver micro-shimmer. It’s not quite as dark as Gunmetal, but they do not seem world’s apart. This is a new shade exclusive to the set.
Urban Decay’s 24/7 Eyeliners are some of my favorite pencils to use. I love the color variety, but more importantly, they wear well and long on me. They don’t smudge or budge, fade or migrate. The formula is kind to eyes, as they are soft and glide effortlessly across the lash line–no drag here.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 29/30
- Value: 10/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: It might be something to put on a holiday IOU list (since it won’t be out until January) or else save holiday gift cards and checks towards–if you are a fan of the 24/7 Liners. If you’re not sure about it, you may want to check out an individual shade before committing $92 to the cause. Long-time Urban Decay fans may find they have a lot of the shades featured in the kit (and maybe duplicates or even triplicates thereof).
AVAILABILITY: Urban Decay, Sephora, Ulta, Macy’s – January 2011