This post is inspired by today being National Wear Teal Day, which is a day to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer, and it was brought to my attention particularly by Laura Mercier. The brand has a history of raising awareness and supporting women with ovarian cancer through the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund as well as on the cosmetic side, the brand also donates 100% of the profits of three of their products towards the cause.
I, of course, need little push to wear teal, as it is one of my favorite colors, but today, teal has more meaning. Ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women (per Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, which has a great infographic here) and only 15% of cases are detected early, which is a key reason for raising awareness, particularly of potential symptoms and risk factors. You can learn more about early detection here.
Here are my five favorites right now:
- Urban Decay Deep End — a bluish-teal with a frosted finish
- Zoya Giovanna — a shimmering teal with a slight green tint
- Fyrinnae Gender Bent — a brightened teal with a soft pearl finish
- Illamasqua Apocalips — to really make a statement, a matte teal lipstick
- Inglot #338 — a deep, blue-teal with a matte finish
What’s your favorite teal?
September is the beginning of all things autumn for me. The temperatures have already started to cool down by me, though it’s still warm overall, the nights are cooling down. I’ve always been partial to September, as I am a September baby Usually, the real start of fall begins with my first sip of Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte, but they already brought it back (and it was delicious!). By this point, I’ve typically reviewed several fall color collections, which is perfect timing so I can include some of those favorites while they can still be purchased. This month’s Tempting 10 features more recently released shades from the fall collections, but I still wanted to highlight a few favorites that you can find all year-long.
- Dior Millenium — a shimmering warm-toned, pewter in a cream formula that can be used as a sheer wash or built up for more intensity.
- Sugarpill Cold Chemistry Palette — it is such a perfect mix of deep, smoky shades for fall with excellent color payoff across the board.
- Color Club Beyond — a deep, warm, smoky gray-black with holographic shimmer–like ash from a crackling fireplace with dancing, fiery bits of shimmer.
- Urban Decay Vice — a rich, plummy purple polish with a soft, shimmering pearl.
- Milani Purr-fect Purple — a vibrant, rich purple eyeshadow with shimmer–perfect for accenting the eye!
- Tom Ford Love Lust — it’s a warmer, more muted coral, so it’s a lovely transition shade from summer to fall
- Guerlain Madame Batifole — creamy, hydrating, incredibly pigmented, and long-wearing makes this a rich, fuchsia-shimmered berry-red a true joy to wear.
- Tom Ford She-Wolf — it’s pricey, but not only is it a palette I could easily see myself reaching for time and time again, it was a palette that readers gravitated towards. It was easily one of the most viewed products from all fall color collections!
- Benefit Rockateur — a rose gold blush is subtle, wears well, and reminds me of the colors of autumn; rusty in a way, but still warm and inviting.
- Too Faced Pretty Rebel Palette — ten glorious shades of bold, bright, eye-catching shadows with buttery, soft, and smooth textures and excellent color payoff.
I hope you’ll consider sharing your must-haves for September in the comments! Here’s a quickie list to get you started…
Must-Have Eye Products:
Must-Have Cheek/Face Products:
Must-Have Lip Products:
Must-Have Hair/Skin Products:
Reader Janisse made a request to see top picks for crease colors, and I couldn’t narrow it down to five across all colors, so I thought I’d start off with five browns!
- Urban Decay Secret Service — matte, medium-dark brown with a slight gray tint
- MAC Omega — light-medium brown with gray
- MAC Charcoal Brown is a dark brown with slight red tones
- Inglot #363 — dark brown with red tones
- Inglot #337 — medium brown with warm undertones
What’s your favorite brown eyeshadow to use in the crease?
From blushes to lipsticks, I have my personal five favorites for fall lip color! This idea is courtesy of readers Maribel, Sara, Shahnaz, Camille, and Rebecca, who all wanted to see some great shades for autumn. As always, I look forward to hearing about your top five!
- NARS Train Bleu — matte, purple berry
- Burberry Bright Plum — bright, bold berry-pink
- MAC Endless Drama — deep red
- Buxom Runaway — rusty plum
- Urban Decay Venom — shimmering berry
What are your top five fall lip colors?
These are my very, very favorite lipstick formulas (in no particular order!) at the moment.
- Givenchy Le Rouge — smooth, rich color; long-wearing, hydrating
- Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick — long-wearing, pigmented, comfortable to wear
- Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids Lip Color — richly pigmented, luminous, long-wearing
- Buxom Full-Bodied Lipstick — luminous, smooth color, long-wearing, hydrating
- Guerlain Rouge G — luminous, pigmented, long-wearing, hydrating
What’s your favorite lipstick formula?
The Tempting 10 features my top product picks for the upcoming month, and these are all products I’ve reviewed in the past (you can click around the image above or use the links below to see more photos, swatches, etc.). I think it’s a great way for me to share old favorites (but always ones that are permanent!) and highlight recent limited editions that have captured my attention. Asking me to narrow anything down to a top ten is difficult, but I’ve tried to capture products across brands, price points, and even types, for a more well-rounded list.
August is that month that, for me, will always be the last real month of summer, even if technically it’s not over. I think a lot of it has to do with being in school until I was 25, so August meant back-to-school shopping, enjoying the last days with no essays, no textbooks, and no looming exams, and getting away with (at least some of the time) doing nothing. Now that I’ve graduated from school, summer is a little different, but there’s a part of me that still gets nervous when August 1st pops up on the calendar, because I think, “Nooo, school!” To that end, I look at the month as one filled with fun, which is why my favorites are vibrant and rich. I also think with the hot temperatures we see in August, brighter colors just feel so appropriate, and then formulas that are minimalist or long-wearing are musts. I love how one statement color, whether on eyes, lips, or nails (or wherever else!) can instantly make one look alive and colorful and present without spending a lot of time or having to worry about it breaking down easily.
Bonus: a lot of these products work well for anyone hurried in the mornings or doesn’t want to touch-up a lot during the day–so perfect for those of you who are heading back to school this fall.
- Maybelline Vibrant Mandarin — a rich, vibrant orange-red for the perfect pop of color in the summer when you want to look a little done up but not actually wear a lot of makeup
- NARS Taos — a bolder, super pigment-rich shade that can be worn subtly or intensely in a burnt red with gold shimmer–the more you blend and buff it into the skin, the more glowy it looks
- Zoya Beatrix — a sparkling, dazzling tangerine for your nails that wears well, too
- YSL Vert d’Orient — a rich, decadent teal cream that makes me think of swimming pools, tropical islands, and vacation
- Illamasqua Supernatural — a dewy, bronzy glow that gives skin a wet, shimmering look
- Burberry Cameo Pink — a beautiful, glossy coral-pink shimmered with gold with semi-opaque color coverage
- OCC New Wave — glossy, shiny, stained glass color that is lighter than lipstick but still more pigmented than traditional gloss; New Wave being a pinky-red with subtle cool undertones–like a juicy watermelon for your lips
- Urban Decay Radium — a deep blue with a frosted finish and would work well paired with golds, greens, aquas, and teals (if the eyeshadow is too much, there is always the eyeliner!)
- Sephora Fairytale — shimmer like a mermaid with this blue-based teal that has green and gold shimmer; I love wearing shades like this (I am a teal eyeliner junkie) on the lower lash line with not much else on the eyes for an instant burst of color
- Marc Jacobs The Starlet — it’s a lovely palette, period, but I think it’s a nice transition piece from summer to fall, and August, no doubt, is going to be an interesting month for MJB, since we’ll see the full release and I can’t wait to hear what the beauty world says about the range!
I’d also like to take a moment in this post to plead with Tom Ford to make his Cream Colors in Escapade and Pink Haze permanent, because had they not completely sold out months ago (part of the summer collection), they would have earned a spot here most definitely.
I hope you’ll consider sharing your must-haves for August in the comments! Here’s a quickie list to get you started…
- Must-Have Eye Products:
- Must-Have Cheek/Face Products:
- Must-Have Lip Products:
- Must-Have Hair/Skin Products: