Tarina Tarantino Beauty for Fall 2011
Tarina Tarantino’s beauty line was inspired by the richness and radiance of her own handcrafted jewelry, and this fall, the entire line is taking a daring turn with a bold new look that brings it to a whole new level. Sleek graphite-colored packaging, jewel tone accents, illustrations of iconic Tarina designs and new must-have palettes add a multi-faceted dimension to the line. The luxe, long-lasting formulas remain the same, luxuriously infused with crushed pearl, micronized diamond powder and finely milled gemstones to reflect the brilliance, luminosity and sophistication of a jewel.
In celebration of Tarina Tarantino Beauty’s new look, six Jewel Shadow Palettes will premiere this fall. These gorgeous vanity compacts each feature five coordinating eyeshadows with shimmering gemstone powders and a high intensity, long-wear formula that leaves your eyes sparkling like jewels. The glamorous oval shape of the compact also makes it easier to see the whole surface of your face when applying your makeup on the go. Choose from: Wonderful (shimmery forest greens, golds and browns), Lovely (pearlized grays, silvers and creams with matte black), Magical (pearlized pinks, taupes and plums), Delightful (pearlized beiges and pinks with matte chocolate brown), Fantastical (pearlized mauves, creams and plums, and Dreamy (pearlized coppers and golds with black with gold sparkle).
The Tarina Tarantino Collection includes:
Pearl Glow Primer ($29.00)
An opalescent primer that keeps makeup looking beautiful. Available in Pearl or Pearl Nude
Sparklicity Shimmer Dust ($39.00)
Pure-refraction reflex shimmer in a feminine spray for body and hair. Available in Opal, Gold and Bronze
Sparklicity Pure ($17.00)
Pure-refraction reflex shimmer for a sophisticated look on eyes or face. Available in Pure, Pure Opal, Pure Nude, Pure Gold and Pure Bronze.
Jewel Shadow Palettes ($32.00)
A palette of five long-wear eyeshadows in a glamorous compact.
- Wonderful Shimmery forest greens, golds and browns
- Lovely Pearlized grays, silvers and creams with matte black
- Magical Pearlized pinks, taupes and plums
- Delightful Pearlized beiges and pinks with matte chocolate brown
- Fantastical Pearlized mauves, creams and plums
- Dreamy Pearlized coppers and golds with black with gold sparkle
Fleur de Lash Mascara ($19.00)
For dramatically thickened and lengthened lashes. Available in Black Opal.
Gem Gloss ($19.00)
A silky, hydrating gloss with high shine. Available in 13 shades.
Conditioning Lip Sheen ($22.00)
A lightweight conditioning lipstick with medium pigmentation and shine. Available in 11 shades.
Sparklicity Gloss ($14.00)
A hydrating gloss with gemstone powders for a dazzling shimmer effect. Available in six shades.
Fuchsia Revolution Brush Set ($69.00)
A professional-quality brush set to create any makeup look with brush handles in Tarina’s signature fuchsia shade.
availability: October 2011
NARS Manon, UD Ransom, MAC Rich Purple, L’Oreal HIP Violet Volt, MUFE #11L, Tarina Tarantino Amethyst Android, UD Lust
Purple and Violet Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
Here is our last eyeliner comparison — blue-based purples!
- NARS Manon Eyeliner is a blue-based violet purple. There’s no shimmer, just pure purple. (Review)
- Urban Decay Ransom 24/7 Liner is an iridescent violet purple with a pinky undertone. (Review)
- MAC Rich Purple Chromagraphic Pencil is a dark, cool-toned purple (Review)
- L’Oreal HIP Violet Volt Chrome Eyeliner is a grayed purple with a metallic sheen. (Review
- Make Up For Ever #11L Aqua Eyes is a violet purple with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Amethyst Android Hyperliner is a violet purple with a satin sheen. It is slightly bluer than Make Up For Ever #11L. (Review)
- Urban Decay Lust 24/7 Liner is a medium-dark, blue-based violet. It is bluer and darker than Make Up For Ever #11L. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! NARS Manon Eyeliner is a lighter version of MAC Rich Purple Chromagraphic Pencil.
DUPE ALERT! Makeup For Ever #11L Aqua Eyes is a slightly more purple (less blue) than Urban Decay’s Ransom 24/7 Liner–they are the closest in terms of color here, though.
Formula/Wear: NARS Eyeliner is the only one that I have any issues with based on my experience–it just smudges, migrates, and generally is a mess on me but many readers had positive experiences (and others who had similar experiences to mine), so I recommend reading the review for a fuller perspective. MAC’s Chromagraphic Pencil is one of the longest wearing pencils I’ve come across and incredibly pigmented, too.
CoverGirl Blue Boom, UD Deviant, Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief, NARS Kitty, MAC Hi-Def Cyan, Korres #13, MAC Smoothline, Milani Aqua, MUFE #7L, UD Electric, Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi, tokidoki Rondine
Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I think I may have more blue eyeliners than any other color in my stash. It’s definitely a close race between blue and green, though! These are just medium to light blues – I kept navy blues separate.
- CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast is a medium-dark ocean blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- NARS Kitty Eyeliner is a medium-dark blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- MAC Hi-Def Cyan Chromagraphic Pencil is a sky blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- Korres #13 Eyeliner is a periwinkle blue with a cream finish.
- MAC Smoothline Technakohl Liner is a darkened blue-based teal with a satin sheen. It’s more aqua than blue.
- Milani Aqua Liquif’Eye Liner is a medium-dark teal. Though not included in this comparison, it is very similar to Urban Decay’s Covet. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- tokidoki Rondine Glitter Eyeliner is a medium sky blue with silver glitter. (Review
DUPE ALERT! I think it’s safe to say that CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast, Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar. I would say they are dupes, with the exception of Glamorous Thief being a smidgen darker.
DUPE ALERT! It is apparent that Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes, Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar.
Formula/Wear: CoverGirl Liquiline Blast and NARS Eyeliner are the only two that have any issues based on my experience. CoverGirl just requires more layering, as it is not as pigmented as the other shades here. NARS, however, I’ve had a lot of migrating issues with, but I encourage you to read the review and the comments. tokidoki Glitter Eyeliner stays on well but can be scratchy against the lash line due to the glitter particles.
Prescriptives Blue Grotto, NYX Emerald City, MUFE #20L, MUFE #12L, Stila Peacock,
NARS Kaliste, Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy, UD Covet, UD Flipside, YSL #9, Chanel Jade
Teal Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
This is a mix of green, blue, and teal–I was going for just, but some of these look rather blue.
- Prescriptives Blue Grotto Eye Kohl is a deep teal-blue with a near matte finish. I swatched this one, even though it’s been discontinued, because I was hoping to find a dupe for it in a permanent liner so I could wear it more often in looks! NARS Kaliste gets very close in color, but NARS Eyeliner migrate so badly on me.
- NYX Emerald City Eye Pencil is a dark forest green.
- Make Up For Ever #20L Aqua Eyes is a green-teal with very fine teal shimmer. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #12L Aqua Eyes is a medium-dark blue with blue sheen. (Review)
- Stila Peacock Smudge Stick is a bright medium blue. It’s not as teal as you’d think–it definitely pulls rather blue, but it is a beautiful shade. It’s almost a royal blue. (Review)
- NARS Kaliste Eyeliner is a bluish teal with a near matte finish. It’s very similar to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. I love the color and the softness of the pencil, but it smudges so badly on me. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy Eyeliner is a medium teal with silver sparkle and reflective sheen. Fans of Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner formula will also like Tarina Tarantino’s. (Review)
- Urban Decay Covet 24/7 Liner is a dark jewel-tone teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Flipside 24/7 Liner is a bright, light-medium blue. (Review)
- YSL #9 Eyeliner is a soft blue with a smidgen of teal. (Review)
- Chanel Jade Stylo Yeux is a green-teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you have better luck with NARS Eyeliner than I do, you can dupe with NARS Kaliste Eyeliner.
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners and YSL Eyeliners. NARS Eyeliners migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! YSL Eyeliners do some smudging and budging, too–not as much as NARS, but still not liners I would go to first.
Lipstick & Lipgloss Pic Spam, Vol. 1
I don’t know why, but for awhile, it seems like I have a bajillion lipsticks and glosses I want to share with you, but I feel a little odd reviewing more than one or two per day. I always think, “Nobody wants to see FIVE lipsticks in ONE day!” Some of these are getting a little “stale” and are on the verge of getting put in the “never going to review” folder, and thus, PIC SPAM!
- Chanel Coral Reef (#88) Glossimer is a light peachy-pink base with lots of brightened gold-peach shimmer. Totally gorgeous, but I think this was limited edition. Probably from last summer’s collection. I believe I picked it out of my glossimers with the intention to include it in the Summer Season, but it’s hard to find, so it’s not appropriate for that series any more.
- Bloom Sugar Lipstick is a sheer pale rose pink with subtle shimmer and a frosty finish.
- Make Up For Ever #3 Glossy Full Couleur is a jelly tangerine-orange. On my lips, it doesn’t really do much. It gives them more of a coral look color-wise, but it does make them look rather juicy from the glossy finish and thick texture.
- Tarina Tarantino Nouveau Lip Gloss is a blue-based medium-dark pink with a very glossy, jelly look. It has a very milky look, though it’s certainly not a milky pink by any means.
- Too Faced Mood Swing Lip Gloss was just such a gimmicky product, I was loathe to review. They’re not a bad product, but the idea behind it was a little too much for me, personally. I also switched to including full face photos, so while I’ve meant to re-do some swatches, I just haven’t gotten around to it. And now they’re becoming stale!
The Summer Season: Tarina Tarantino Candy Jar Lipstick
Tarina Tarantino Candy Jar Lipstick ($22.00) is a cool-toned baby pink with a little fuchsia-violet edge. It’s semi-opaque with a creamy texture and slightly glossy finish. I love the way it looks wet on lips! The texture is smooth and lightweight, and the lipstick doesn’t dry your lips out. I only get about three hours of wear with this shade, but it fades evenly. I also like that despite being so cool-toned, it wears much better with my warmer skin tone than many other shades in the cool-pink family.
Is this the right pink lipstick for you? Would you wear it?
The Summer Season is a series of posts featuring bright, vibrant shades of coral, orange, and pink lipsticks and lipglosses — all perfect for a summer of fun — that runs through July 2010.