Estee Lauder Spring 2011 Collection
Estee Lauder Spring 2011 Collection: Wild Violet
Pure energy that pulsates sultry sophistication is the inspiration behind the new vision in color by Estée Lauder Creative Makeup Director Tom Pecheux for Spring 2011. The Wild Violet Pure Color Makeup Collection is a dynamic collection of high-performance makeup and fragrance products to highlight the spring season with a burst of enthusiastic color.
In this intensely vivacious collection, lips delight in shades of electric orange, brazen cherry and violet plum, eyes are smoldering in muted neutrals with wisps of purple for maximum depth and attention while nails are rich and smokey in a modern charcoal. Adding to the collection, a vivid, lush fragrance that has a first impression of Genet Flower, Mandarin, Purple Freesia, Blue Jasmine and Wild Gardenia to create a lively experience and then Amberwood is blended in to complete scent with an energetic, multi-sensorial vibrancy.
Pure Color Lip Gelee ($20.00) (Limited Edition)
- Electric Cherry Blazing red
- Electric Violet Fuchsia violet
- Electric Coral Fresh coral
- Electric Pink Brilliant pink
Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick ($24.00) (Limited Edition)
- Wild Fire
- Wild Blossom
- Wild Coral
- Wild Violet
Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette ($42.00) (Limited Edition)
- Wild Violet Mix of warm, smokey ember and neutral shades with a powerful, shimmering deep plum at the center
Pure Color Eyeshadow ($20.00) (Limited Edition)
- Untamed Violet
- Sugar Cube
Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eye Pencil ($19.00) (Limited Edition)
- Untamed Violet Effervescent purple
Pure Color Nail Lacquer ($19.00) (Limited Edition)
Wild Elixir Fragrance ($55.00 for 1.7 oz.) (Limited Edition)
Compliment the look with a feeling of pure energy radiating from luminous Genet Flower, invigorating Mandarin and smooth woods blended in the new, limited edition Estée Lauder Wild Elixir fragrance. An expressive, sophisticated floral texture evolves into a dry down of soft woods and lingers sensuously on the skin for an utterly dramatic appeal.
Availability: January 2011 at select Estee Lauder counters nationwide and esteelauder.com
Chanel Spring 2011 Makeup Collection
Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel believed the light-reflecting property of pearls enhanced a woman’s natural beauty by bringing a delicate luminosity to her skin. Peter Philips, Global Creative Director of CHANEL Makeup, captures this quality in a radiant Spring 2011 Collection, LES PERLES DE CHANEL. Pearlized shades of black and white are accented with pinks and corals, brightening the complexion and creating a natural glow. Not to be outshone, nail shades extend the trend.
Edited @ 12/08: Now with more photos!
Ombres Perlees de Chanel ($65.00) (Limited Edition)
- White pearl, Pink, Deep Purple, Green-grey, Black Pearl
Les 4 Ombres ($56.00)
- Regard Perle Deep green, rose, beige, ivory
Le Crayon Yeux ($28.00)
- Gris Scintillant Shimmering grey
Joues Contraste ($42.00)
Poudre Universelle Compact ($44.00)
- Rose Merveille Rose beige (Limited Edition)
Rouge Coco ($30.00)
- Peregrina Peach
- Jersey Rose Rosewood
Rouge Allure ($30.00)
- Coquette Rose
- Flamboyante Intense pink
- Aragonite Iridescent white
- Nakkar Raspberry
Rouge Double Intensite ($34.00)
- Cristal Rose Rose beige (Limited Edition)
Le Crayon Levres ($28.00)
- Peche Peach
- Framboise Raspberry
Le Vernis ($23.00)
- Pearl Drop White
- Peche Nacree Peach
- Black Pearl Black
Availability: January 2011
Givenchy #14, MAC Prussian, Dolce & Gabbana #8, YSL #03, MUFE #3L, MAC Marine Ultra, UD Binge, Chanel Marine, tokidoki Skeletro, MUFE #15L
Dark/Navy Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
As promised, here are navy blue pencil eyeliner comparisons!
- Givenchy #14 Magic Khol is a sheer violet-toned navy blue.
- MAC Prussian Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened blue with a subtle violet edge.
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- YSL Oriental Blue (03) Eyeliner is a medium-dark, brightened navy blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- MAC Marine Ultra Chromagraphic Pencil is a medium-dark ocean blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner is a darkened navy blue with purple tinge. (Review)
- Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver shimmer. (Review)
- tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver glitter. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #15L Aqua Eyes is a lightened dark blue with soft sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It appears that Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner and Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes are rather similar — possibly just the slightest difference in blue-ness.
DUPE ALERT!Both Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner and tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner are not far behind, just slightly darker and with a stronger blacker base, but the two themselves are quite similar. Skeletro has more glitter (whereas Marine has shimmer).
Formula/Wear: I have not tested Givenchy Magic Khol, so I cannot attest to its wear. YSL Eyeliners don’t seem to last all day on me, and Dolce & Gabbana can be hit or miss, but this particular shade lasted through a yoga session (and all day). tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners can be scratchy on the lash line because of the size of the glitter particles but wear fine otherwise.
NARS Petit Monstre Lipstick
NARS Holiday 2010: Petit Monstre Lipstick
NARS Petit Monstre Lipstick ($24.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a softened coral-red with subtle copper shimmer. This shade is a limited edition hue featured in NARS’ Holiday collection. It is similar to MAC Rose Maiden (which seems a little brighter), MAC Thrills Lipstick (which has a much more obvious and reflective copper-gold sheen). It really is a beautiful shade, and it is particularly flattering on neutral and warmer skin tones, but the subtle copper shimmer makes it a shade that can be worn by cooler skin tones, too.
NARS Lipstick typically wears four to six hours, with a shade like this lasting about five. It has a creamier texture that’s moisturizing, and this particular shade is more opaque (some shades can be quite sheer). I didn’t notice any waxy scent, as NARS lipsticks are typically unscented but may have the waxy base come through.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 28/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: This is such a great fall/winter lip, and it can even work well for summer trends, too–because a little gold gloss can really brighten it up and make it a perfect summer coral.
CoverGirl Blue Boom, UD Deviant, Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief, NARS Kitty, MAC Hi-Def Cyan, Korres #13, MAC Smoothline, Milani Aqua, MUFE #7L, UD Electric, Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi, tokidoki Rondine
Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I think I may have more blue eyeliners than any other color in my stash. It’s definitely a close race between blue and green, though! These are just medium to light blues – I kept navy blues separate.
- CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast is a medium-dark ocean blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- NARS Kitty Eyeliner is a medium-dark blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- MAC Hi-Def Cyan Chromagraphic Pencil is a sky blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- Korres #13 Eyeliner is a periwinkle blue with a cream finish.
- MAC Smoothline Technakohl Liner is a darkened blue-based teal with a satin sheen. It’s more aqua than blue.
- Milani Aqua Liquif’Eye Liner is a medium-dark teal. Though not included in this comparison, it is very similar to Urban Decay’s Covet. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- tokidoki Rondine Glitter Eyeliner is a medium sky blue with silver glitter. (Review
DUPE ALERT! I think it’s safe to say that CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast, Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar. I would say they are dupes, with the exception of Glamorous Thief being a smidgen darker.
DUPE ALERT! It is apparent that Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes, Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar.
Formula/Wear: CoverGirl Liquiline Blast and NARS Eyeliner are the only two that have any issues based on my experience. CoverGirl just requires more layering, as it is not as pigmented as the other shades here. NARS, however, I’ve had a lot of migrating issues with, but I encourage you to read the review and the comments. tokidoki Glitter Eyeliner stays on well but can be scratchy against the lash line due to the glitter particles.
UD Baked, MUFE #10L, UD Lucky, MUFE #23L, UD Midnight Cowboy
Bronze/Copper Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I wanted to separate my bronzes from my browns and golds, just because they do seem like a category on its own… the problem was I didn’t really have very many to compare.
- Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner is a warmed over bronze with flecks of copper. It is very similar to Make Up For Ever’s #10L. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes is a warm bronze with gold sheen. It is very similar to Urban Decay’s Baked. (Review)
- Urban Decay Lucky 24/7 Liner is a dark copper brown with sheen. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes is a pale champagne beige with a high sheen. It is slightly lighter than Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy. (Review)
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7Liner is a pale champagne beige with shine. It is slightly darker than Make Up For Ever #23L. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner and Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes are dupes! The Urban Decay version seems like its copper flecks are more apparent.
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7 Liner are near dupes–Urban Decay’s is slightly darker, but the two are incredibly close. If you can’t shell out $92 for the entire liner set, #23L will hold you over in the meanwhile.
Formula/Wear: Both Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners and Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes wear very well on me–both last all day. Urban Decay’s formula is slightly softer, but they both glide on well.