Aveda @ ORGANIC by John Patrick
Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert created a modern twist on the Brigitte Bardot “pouf” using Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray (which launches this June) at the ORGANIC by John Patrick Fall/Winter 2010 Fashion Week show in New York.
“Our collection this season is centered around big, beautiful hair that makes our hand-woven tweeds look happy. Despite some inspiration from Joni Mitchell, Lady Diana, and Brigitte Bardot, the hair look is modern—very young and fun, not polished or structured.” — John Patrick of ORGANIC by John Patrick
1. Brush through hair and prep with Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam to add body and shine. Use a comb to create a left side part.
2. Divide hair into four sections: sides, back, and top. Fold the top section over the face and clip back to separate.
3. Backcomb the back section of hair with a brush to create messy volume. Spray liberally with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray for maximum hold.
4. Create an anchor by crossing bobby pins horizontally across the middle of the back section of hair, just below the crown of the head.
5. Using large hair pins, attach a hairdresser’s sponge at the crown, where bobby pins are anchored.
6. Cross the right section of backcombed hair over to the left, pinning over the hairdresser’s sponge with large hair pins. Repeat with the left section of backcombed hair, bringing it to right. Take all remaining hair in the back section and twirl to the left to create a French twist. Secure the twist at the nape of the neck with hair pins, creating a tail of loose hair draped over the shoulder.
7. Set aside a portion of hair to fall in front of the left ear, and brush remaining top section of hair over the hairdresser’s sponge, Pin it into the French twist to create a “pouf.” Pull lightly with fingers to create loose, spontaneous volume. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray.
8. Leave wisps of free falling hair in front of the left ear, and loosely pin remaining pieces above the right ear. Finish with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray.
MAC Spring Colour Forecast Review & Round-up
Note: I’ve bumped up this post as the official, in-store launch, is NOW UPON US! Spring Colour Forecast launches today, the 11th, in-stores in North America. :) Share your hauls!!
OVERALL, I think Spring Colour Forecast is so large that you’re bound to find at least one or two things that appeal to you. (If you don’t, kudos to you, and I want some of whatever you’re drinking!) It’s hard to pick must-haves, because it still ends up rattling off like a laundry list of products, so I’m just going to go with it, and you can pick and choose depending on what kind of budget you’re on. I know some of you have been saving up for this collection since last year! I do, personally, think MAC went a bit overboard with this collection–it’s just so, so enormous. There are too many products to look at, and I think the rumor about them releasing one per week may have given people an opportunity to feast and enjoy… rather than feast and DEVOUR!
The release date is officially February 11th, but since it’s already online, it may have been moved up by a week to February 4th. Call your local store either today (2/3) or tomorrow (2/4) to see if they’re putting it out early. I’ve asked around, and I’ve only been able to confirm February 11th, but sometimes these are really last minute changes! But call first, so you don’t waste a trip.
Must-haves: Lipsticks — Bubble Gum, Laugh a Lot, Vicotrian, Fresh Salmon; Lipglasses — Electric Fuchsia, ; Eyeshadows — Very Violet, La La, Straw Harvest, Hot Hot Hot; Blush Ombre — Azalea Blossom
Nice-to-haves: Lipsticks — Pink Burst, Colour Me Coral, Bronzilla; Lipglasses — Hush, Hush Rose, Kumquat, Purple Rage; Crush Metal Pigments Stacked 1!, Stacked 2!; Blush Ombres — Ripe Peach; Colour 4 Eyeshadow Quad
Skip: Nail Lacquers
What are you getting? What’s on your list?
Laura Mercier Polished Collection: Eye Colour Duos in Golden Brown & Plum Spice
Laura Mercier Eye Colour Duos ($22.00 each, 0.09 oz. each) come in three different finishes: luster, matte, and sateen. From Laura Mercier’s Polished Collection, there are three new Colour Duos: Golden Brown (Luster), Cocoa Rose (Matte), and Plum Spice (Sateen). The new shades are–surprise, surprise–limited edition.
- Golden Brown is a mix of a softened metallic gold and light bronze with copper-bronze sheen.
- Plum Spice is a satiny smooth dirty peach and lightly shimmered dirty pinked plum.
Both duos had a very smooth, soft texture and the shadows swatched easily. Golden Brown had more color pigmentation and an even smoother feel than Plum Spice, which had more of a semi-sheer appearance and required some layering to get a higher intensity.
I think Laura Mercier fans will enjoy these limited edition shades, because both duos include colors that are easy to use, perfect for spring, and can be mixed with many products you may already own. If you’re more of a bright color eyeshadow kind of person, these probably weren’t designed with you in mind!
Everything I’ve tried from Laura Mercier has been all about creating soft, flattering looks with sheer or buildable color for everyday wear–these fit that philosophy to a T. I think this best describes the line (taken from the “about” section on her website): “She personally created the colors to satisfy the needs of her clients, based on a classic and always-current palette, rather than seasonal trends only.”
The duos actually contain a decent amount of product–it’s like you get enough to use in your lifetime, without having to invest a ton into it. By the ounce, Laura Mercier’s Eye Colour Duos are more affordable than MAC and just a little above Make Up For Ever eyeshadows. I’ve always liked her packaging–it’s kind of like a chocolate brown with bronzy shimmer/sparkles in the mix. Pretty, functional, and a little fun.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 28/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
Recommendation: If you like soft, smooth color that applies evenly and without fallout, Laura Mercier is worth checking out!
MAC From Our Lips Collection – Lady Gaga & Cyndi Lauper for Viva Glam – Swatches & Product Photos
Viva Glam is an absolutely amazing campaign. Period. It doesn’t matter if you love or hate MAC, it’s an incredible campaign that truly cares about its cause. The entire selling price of every Viva Glam Lipstick/Lipglass goes towards MAC’s Aids Fund. Every penny. That’s not proceeds, that’s not a portion of–that’s 100%. To date, MAC Aids Fund has raised over $150 million for the cause.
- Viva Glam Cyndi is a muted coral-red with a glossy finish and goes on semi-opaque. You get a good amount of color out of this, despite it being a lustre finish. It reminds me of some limited edition shades, but nothing quite with the same finish/look.
- Viva Glam Gaga is a slightly cool-toned, bubblegum pink with a glossy finish and also applies semi-opaque. Again, despite its lustre finish, there’s a good amount of color pigmentation. While Cyndi didn’t seem immediately dupe-able, Gaga is similar to shades like Snob. (Though, if you’re going to buy one, why not go Viva Glam so you can donate $14 towards MAF?)
MAC did a standout job with the two latest, limited-edition launches of Viva Glam. The packaging is thoughtful and classy but still fun. Each Viva Glam Cyndi/Gaga Lipstick is housed in traditional black cardboard packaging, but each celebrity’s signature is embossed in metallic red, sprawled across one side of the packaging. The lipstick is the traditional Viva Glam black bullet with a metallic red ring around the center, but uncap the lipstick, and each lipstick also has the celebrity’s signature printed in black inside. I just think this attention to detail is particularly exceptional. Well-done, MAC!
Read all about how MAC AIDS Fund works and what $14 can do at www.macaidsfund.org.
Guerlain Gardenia Rouge G Lipstick
The Spring Season: Guerlain Gardenia Rouge G Lipstick
Guerlain Gardenia Rouge G Lipstick ($45.00) is a softened pinky-beige with a light, glossy finish and nearly no distinguishable shimmer. At first, I thought Gardenia was similar to Cle de Peau #103 Extra Silky Lipstick, but this is significantly warmer and brighter. I think maybe it was just that very creamy, solid color with a glossy sheen that made me connect the two. Of course, at $45, it wouldn’t have been the more affordable option! Rouge Gs are always outstanding in their color pigmentation–very near full coverage in most instances, and the feel of these is amazing. It’s a comfortable lipstick that goes on smooth, creamy, and keeps lips moisturized while its worn. I get four to six hours with these, depending on the shade (lighter ones tend to fade faster).
Is this the right peachy nude lipstick for you? Would you wear it?
The Spring Season is a series of posts featuring my favorite soft beige, coral, and pink lipsticks and lipglosses — all perfect for the first blossom of spring — that runs through March 2010.
MAC From Our Lips Collection – Lady Gaga & Cyndi Lauper for Viva Glam
Between us girls….you know you’ve got a sexy voice…use it! Let’s talk about the kind of relationships we want to have, and how to keep it safe, seductive and satisfying. And don’t forget, every cent from the sale of M·A·C VIVA GLAM Lipstick and Lipglass goes toward helping women, men and kids everywhere affected by HIV and AIDS. VIVA GLAM is the main source of funding for The M·A·C AIDS Fund. Our spokes models, makeup artists and entire M·A·C family are fiercely committed to the cause.
Available today… February 10th, 2010 — Go get yours!
Lipstick ($14.00 U.S. / $16.50 CDN)
- Viva Glam Cyndi Light coral red (Lustre)
- Viva Glam Gaga Light blue pink (Lustre)
Makeup Bag (Available February 25th, 2010, North America only) ($25.00 U.S. / $30.00 CDN)
- Viva Glam Cyndi Bag
- Viva Glam Gaga Bag
- Viva Glam Bags are only available online and at MAC retail stores (freestanding/PRO) and limited to North America.
“I think it’s absolutely insane that some people have fewer rights than others, and I’m grateful that M·A·C has decided to focus on women while I’m a VIVA GLAM Spokesperson. I have so much to say and so much to share, and I’m going to let my lips and lipstick do the talking!” — Cyndi Lauper, M·A·C VIVA GLAM Spokesperson
“I’ve been familiar with the campaign and have been wearing M·A·C since I was ten years old. To be joining the likes of iconic former VIVA GLAM spokespeople is an honor. My new VIVA GLAM lipstick colour is amazing. It’s very me – a bluish pink, great for everyday, a little bit ’80s. I hope that women buy this lipstick, and honor themselves and honor the cause.” — Lady Gaga, M·A·C VIVA GLAM Spokesperson
Since the very early days of the AIDS epidemic, women have been heroes – as advocates, activists, healers, legislators, and program designers. These women have volunteered to join the fight and support people living with the virus, often because they had lost children, parents, friends or lovers to the disease, and because they felt they could make a difference. And they have.
In honor of all the women who are living with the virus and those working to curb its spread, the M·A·C AIDS Fund is pleased to announce $2.5 million in new donations to support efforts waged by women and on behalf of women. From Our Lips energizes women and answers the needs of an important, underserved population with HIV and AIDS.
From Our Lips focuses on global HIV hot spots like South Africa, the Caribbean and the United States’ rural South and Washington, D.C. It supports programs in regions that are confronting the complicated causes of HIV infection in women and girls: Violence, discrimination and unequal access to financial and social resources.
The initiative will encourage donor support and cast a media spotlight on the women who have been powerful heroes: those who help others cope with the illness, and those who are now underdogs in their efforts to fight HIV among themselves.
Check out the Lady Gaga & Cyndi Lauper Q&As… Continue reading →