Bobbi Brown Holiday 2010 Collection
So many people on your list, so little time. Not to worry: Bobbi’s holiday lineup of beautiful gift sets and perfect palettes has everyone covered from your best friend to your boss. (While you’re at it, why not treat yourself?)
Day to Night Palette (Cool) ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Ivory, Flint, Charcoal, Pearl (Shimmer), Rockstar (Metallic), Gunmetal (Shimmer) Eyeshadows
Day to Night Palette (Warm) ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Ivory, Oat, Espresso, Burnt Sugar (Metallic), Velvet Bronze (Metallic), and Black Plum (Shimmer) Eyeshadows
Pink & Gold Lip Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Roseberry Lip Color, Kir Metallic Lip Color, Pretty Pink Metallic Lip Color, Sunset Nude Creamy Lip Color, Italian Rose Creamy Lip Color, Brownie Lip Color
Sparkle Glamour Quad ($40.00) (Limited Edition)
She’s the first to hit the dance floor and has the uncanny ability to pull together an evening look in the back of a cab. From palest pink to deep slate, these glittering shades are made for New Year’s Eve.
Modern Classic Lip & Eye Palette ($75.00) (Limited Edition) (November)
Includes: Ivory Eyeshadow, Oyster Grey Metallic Eyeshadow, Antique Pink Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Quarry Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Taffeta Metallic Eyeshadow, Birch Eyeshadow, Heather Rose Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Navy Charcoal Eyeshadow, Gold Thread Metallic Eyeshadow, Espresso Eyeshadow, Grape Glitter Lip Gloss, Pink Bouquet Glitter Lip Gloss, Golden Topaz Glitter Lip Gloss, Paisley Rose Shimmer Lip Gloss
Lip Gloss Trio ($40.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Bright Pink Lip Gloss, Gold Glitter Lip Gloss, Kir Sugar Shimmer Lip Gloss
Crystal Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Amethyst Metallic Eyeshadow, Diamond Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Star Sparkle Eyeshadow, Marine Metallic Eyeshadow
Deluxe Travel Kit ($115.00) (Limited Edition)
Remember the days when traveling was a chic adventure? Neither do we. This travel kit, which has compartments for every last beauty essential, makes the worst red-eye seem glam again.
Smoldering Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: White Eyeshadow, Tin Metallic Eyeshadow, Storm Eyeshadow, Onyx Long Wear Eye Paint
Sultry Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: Bone Eyeshadow, Antique Gold Metallic Eyeshadow, Caviar Eyeshadow, Brandy Long Wear Eye Paint
Smoky Eye Pa3lette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: Ivory Eyeshadow, Heather Lilac Metallic Eyeshadow, Charcoal Eyeshadow, Port Long Wear Eye Paint
Availability: October 2010; spotted everything up at Neiman Marcus already and most everything at Nordstrom!
Win $84 in Qtica!
One (1) lucky winner will receive Qtica’s Foot Repair Balm, Hand Repair Balm, Intense Cuticle Repair Balm, Intense Hydrating Therapy Lotion, and Intense Lip Repair Balm! (Retail value $156!)
Congratulations to Nicole Z.!
RULES: All entries must be submitted by October 14th, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to continental U.S. readers only as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws. Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via e-mail. This post will be updated with the winner once the winner confirms.
Two Ways to Win
You can do one, the other, or both to maximize your chances of winning…
1.) Leave a comment on this blog post tell me which product you’d use first!
2.) Follow me on Twitter & tweet the following: Follow @temptalia & RT to win Qtica’s Intense Line ($84!)! Info + one more way to win: http://budurl.com/qticaset
Thanks to Qtica for their generosity to help us celebrate our 4th anniversary!
Lipstick Comparisons: Under $12
The first part of the Lipstick Comparisons series features lipstick formulas available for less than $12. (These are all actually less than $8, I believe!)
One of the easily detectable and distinguishing ways that more affordable lipsticks vary from higher end lipsticks is in the scent. I have yet to find a lipstick in this price range that doesn’t tend to have a synthetic scent, and if not syrupy sweet or floral, often a nauseating mix of plastic and play-doh. Sometimes they can also have an off-taste, too. Both scent/taste are highly personal, though, and both dependent on your sensitivity.
Wear time can sometimes differ (noted below), but while I rarely find lipsticks that wear well for six or more hours, there are some that do wear for the average time for me (four hours is my average).
- PROS: Decent shade range, wearable shades that tend to be more universally flattering (mass appeal), smooth, opaque, wears for 3-4 hours, color-coded packaging
- NEUTRAL: Mostly “wearable” colors — nothing really out of the box, synthetic/generic sweet scent on some while others have a more plastic scent
- CONS: Some shades tend to cling, which make them less suitable for those with drier lips
- MY REC: The scent can be pretty bothersome for some, but it’ll depend on how adverse you are to certain smells. For a drugstore lipstick, they might feel a little pricey, so it may be prudent to wait for a sale. It doesn’t dry my lips out, but it’s not at all moisturizing, so those with dry lips should take note.
- PROS: Wide range of shades, creamy, moisturizing, opaque
- NEUTRAL: Both neutral and brighter shades, synthetic/waxy scent
- CONS: Frost finish shades are drier and less opaque, dated packaging
- MY REC: The creamier shades are the best of the line; they’re incredibly pigmented and apply really well. The frostier shades tend to emphasize any dryness on lips.
- PROS: Ridiculous amount of shades, variety in finishes, opaque, creamy, affordable
- NEUTRAL: Scent-free but strong plastic scent on some
- CONS: Wears off after 2-3 hours, darker shades bleed
- MY REC: When it comes to trying out shades, NYX is definitely a go-to brand. The creamy, smooth texture and the huge shade range helps it stand out amongst other budget-friendly options. NYX also occasionally has crazy bundled packages–I remember buying 30 or 40 lipsticks for around $50 one time.
- PROS: Good shade range, creamy, doesn’t dry lips out, affordable
- NEUTRAL: Synthetic fruity scent
- CONS: Wears off within 1-2 hours requiring frequent reapplication
- MY REC: It’s a decent option if you’re on a tight budget and don’t mind reapplication.
The Lipstick Comparisons series is designed to provide a quick reference summary sheet for some of the many available lipstick formulas. It seems like most brands have at least a couple of formulas, if not half a dozen, and it can be difficult to find the formulas that will work best for your budget, coloring, style, or taste.
This is not necessarily a best of list, and it’s not exhaustive–it is based on actual lipsticks that I’ve tried; they are all, however, decent to excellent lipsticks. (And perhaps, some day, it will be an exhaustive list.) I have summarized my experience based on pros and cons, but also some “neutral” factors that may be pros or cons, depending on your preferences. I will update this series as I try new lipstick formulas.
(And yes, I recognize that the series photo does not include any of these brands! The image represents the series, not individual posts.)
The Sultry Season: Face Atelier Revenge Lipstick
Face Atelier Revenge Lipstick ($22.00 for 0.14 oz.) is a deepened red with subtle brown undertones running through it. It’s extremely pigmented–I only needed one swipe to get opaque color. There is enough creaminess in the formula to apply the color evenly and easily, but it’s not so creamy that it migrates or pools in places. Face Atelier’s lipsticks are scent- and taste-free, too. This shade wore for quite a stretch of time at six hours, and it left behind a soft stain as it faded away.
Is this the right red for you? Would you wear it?
The Sultry Season is a series of posts featuring deep, rich shades of brown, berry, plum, and wine lipsticks and lipglosses — just right for autumn — that runs through October 2010.
Win $156 in Zoya!
One (1) lucky winner will receive Zoya’s Color Lock System, along with Wicked, Wonderful, and Fire & Ice Collections! (Retail value $156!)
Congratulations to Gula P.!
RULES: All entries must be submitted by October 13th, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to continental U.S. readers only as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws (too many restrictions on nail polish internationally, sorry!). Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via e-mail. This post will be updated with the winner once the winner confirms.
Two Ways to Win
You can do one, the other, or both to maximize your chances of winning…
1.) Leave a comment on this blog post tell me which collection you’d use first!
2.) Follow me on Twitter & tweet the following: Follow @temptalia & RT to win Zoya Color Lock + 18 polishes! Info + one more way to win: http://budurl.com/zoyaset
Thanks to Zoya for their generosity to help us celebrate our 4th anniversary!
Photo by Vincent Lappartient
Chanel for Spring/Summer 2011
“Karl Lagerfeld showed me a sketch he had drawn of a girl with smoky eyes, so it was clear that we would put the focus on the eyes for this show. The inspiration for the color came from the black-white-green French garden that was recreated in the Grand Palais, from the glow that we can find in black, grey and white pearls, and the enamel that Karl integrated into the costume jewelry. I created deep, dark smoky eyes on a luminous fresh face with tinted, dewy lips. Nails were graphic and strong, and a thin black line was drawn in the hair.” – Peter Philips, Global Creative Director of CHANEL Makeup
- Skin prepared with HYDRAMAX + ACTIVE Nourishing Cream for Dry Skin
- Pro Lumiere Professional Finish Makeup SPF 15
- Poudre Universelle Libra Natural Finish Loose Powder
- Eclat Lumiere Highlighter Face Pen
- Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer
- Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in Regard Perle (Spring 2011, available January 2011)
- Le Crayon Khol Intense Eye Pencil in Noir
- Le Crayon Yeux Precision Eye Definer in Noir
- Le Crayon Sourcils (August 2011)
- Le Sourcil de Chanel Perfect Brows
- Mascara Inimitable Waterproof in Noir
- Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Espiegle (Spring 2011, available January 2011)
- Rouge Coco Shine in Boy (April 2011)
- Le Vernis Nail Colour in Black Pearl on hands (Spring 2011, available January 2011)
- Le Vernis Nail Colour in Pearl Drop on the feet (Spring 2011, available January 2011)