5 Playful Plum Blushes
Plum blush can be used in a variety ways, from subtle to bold, so it can really bring drama to the face and create a look that really emphasizes the cheeks if one desires. If you have a cooler complexion, you may look for a plum with a subtle pink or berry tone, while warmer complexions may look for a plum with a subtle brown undertone. Or throw away the rules and go for the one that strikes your fancy
- Bobbi Brown Plum — rich pink plum
- Burberry Cameo — softened brown-plum
- theBalm Cabana Boy — shimmered plum-berry
- NARS Oasis — dirty plum with gold shimmer
- MAC Plum Foolery — dirty plum with a shimmer-sheen
What’s your favorite plum blush?
NARS Night Breed Nail Lacquer
NARS Night Breed Nail Lacquer
NARS Night Breed Nail Lacquer ($17.00 for 0.50 fl. oz.) is described simply as “black with silver glitter.” It’s a deep black with silver shimmer and sparkle that’s opaque in two coats (but one coat packs quite a punch of pigmentation). I don’t have anything quite like this. I think the closest shade I could think of was China Glaze Tinsel Town, but it has a lot more silver glitter and shimmer, so it looks more silver than it does black. China Glaze Stone Cold has more uniform and smaller-sized shimmer, plus it has a matte finish.
NARS nailed the formula of their Night Series shades–the color coverage is fantastic, the shades are nuanced, and they even dry faster than most polishes. It does dry down to a flatter finish, so a shiny top coat is a must if you prefer a glossy finish. The wear of NARS polishes is remarkably good–minor tip wear and no chipping after seven days. The application was easy and required no special effort; Night Breed had a good consistency–not too thick or too thin–that yielded even color without streaking.
See more photos & swatches!
5 Soft Pink Blushes to Try
Originally, I was going to pick five favorite pink blushes, but pink is such a popular blush hue that I thought it would be better to split it into two separate posts: one for softer, subtler pinks (think light to medium) and a second one for bolder, more fuchsia-like pinks. Thanks to reader Sirinthorn for today’s topic! These are designed to be truer pinks, but it’s on my list of posts-to-do for more of a neutral-pink-beige blush roundup
- Bobbi Brown Nude Pink — blue-based light-medium pink
- Burberry Peony — soft pink with yellow undertones
- Chanel Pink Explosion — subtly cool-toned light-medium pink
- NARS Gaiety — really cool-toned pink
- MAC So Sweet, So Easy — pale pink
What’s your favorite soft pink blush?
5 Pretty in Peach Blushes
Peach can be a really wearable color that can look natural on any skin tone. Cooler complexions will find that peach-hued blushes can help mitigate any natural redness on the cheeks without emphasizing it like a pink blush might. Warmer complexions are easily freshened up with a pop of peach on the cheeks. Reader Sirinthorn wanted to see what my five picks would be for peach blushes, and here they are:
- Chanel Espiegle— peach-orange with a satiny sheen
- MAC Peaches — classic peach with subtle brown undertones
- Make Up For Ever #14 — soft peach
- NARS Sex Appeal — pale peach
- MAC Melba — dirty peach-brown with a matte finish
What’s your favorite peach blush?
5 Radiant Red Lipsticks for Valentine’s Day
There are so many fantastic reds available on the market these days, but I managed to narrow it down to this list of five that I think would make an incredible ruby red pout for Valentine’s Day.
- NYX Too Chic — subtly blue-based red with a semi-matte finish
- Guerlain Liu — glossy semi-opaque red with pink
- MAC Ruby Woo — blue-based, matte, not budging
- NARS Mascate — matte, deep red with very subtle cool undertones
- MAC Prolong — subtly blue-based red with a natural sheen