Before Contouring / After Contouring with NARS Radiant Cream Compact Foundation
Contouring with cream foundation is an easy way to achieve seamless, blended contours and highlights because you’re using products designed to work together in order to create a canvas that transitions from shadow to skin to highlight beautifully. Highlighting and contouring bring back definition and shape to the face, especially after you’ve created a beautiful, flawless blank canvas with your foundation. Because foundations are one color, and depending on the coverage, they can leave the face looking flat and shapeless.
More of us are familiar with highlighters–shimmering powders and creams patted along the high planes of the face to reflect light–but contouring can be a more difficult and daunting task. The best part about makeup, though, is freedom of choice; you can go as defined as you’d like, so you don’t have to go for a dramatic contour and highlight but something subtle that just defines and helps lift the face. I’ve tried to show a more dramatic contour (but you could go further and make it even more dramatic) so that you can clearly see the differences before and after.
Don’t be afraid if you’re new to contouring! Uzo, NARS International Lead Stylist, recommends beginners to use cream foundations for contouring “because they are easier to blend” as “powders in an unskilled hand can make contouring look harsh and un-blended while liquids don’t give enough definition. It is not about having a stripe of darker, un-diffused color along the sides of the face but subtly blended dimension that defines the cheekbones (and jaw line).”
With the full range of NARS Radiant Cream Compact at my disposal, I matched my skin tone match to Santa Fe, which is described as a “medium with peachy undertone,” and it is categorized as “Medium 2.” This is the product I used to create the blank canvas (as my regular foundation) to even out my skin color and cover any blemishes and imperfections.
Find your shade match using our NARS + Temptalia Foundation Matrix–just enter your current foundation and out pops your new shade match!
To highlight, I chose Siberia. Generally, your highlight shade should be two to four shades lighter than your actual skin color. To contour, I used Cadiz along with Benares. I opted for two, because I wanted a subtler contour on areas like my nose and eyes, but I wanted a deeper, more dramatic contour for slimming and defining my cheekbones and jawline. Generally, you will want to select a shade that is two to four shades darker than your natural complexion and opt for a shade that has similar undertones to your skin tone or one that is more neutral.
Now, get the step-by-step!
From blushes to lipsticks, I have my personal five favorites for fall lip color! This idea is courtesy of readers Maribel, Sara, Shahnaz, Camille, and Rebecca, who all wanted to see some great shades for autumn. As always, I look forward to hearing about your top five!
- NARS Train Bleu — matte, purple berry
- Burberry Bright Plum — bright, bold berry-pink
- MAC Endless Drama — deep red
- Buxom Runaway — rusty plum
- Urban Decay Venom — shimmering berry
What are your top five fall lip colors?
With fall coming around the corner, reader Maribel’s suggestion for a top five on blush picks for fall was spot-on! In this list, I wanted a good variety in color, not just a bunch of plums. I thought about the colors we tend to see more often during fall, like berries, plums, and burgundies, but not just on cheeks but lips, too. When I wear a stronger lip, I like pairing it with cool pinks or neutral browns/beiges, so cheeks can still have color and definition but not too much color.
- NARS Dolce Vita — medium-dark, rosy plum with a satin finish
- Burberry Earthy — satin-finished medium brown-beige
- Chanel Inspiration — slightly cool-toned, light-medium pink
- MAC Ambering Rose — warm, rusty plum
- NARS Oasis — shimmering plum
What’s your favorite blush for fall?
NARS Radiant Cream Compact Foundation
We’re so excited to unveil the NARS + Temptalia Foundation Matrix to make finding your shade of NARS’ newest Radiant Cream Compact Foundation that much easier. With the power of our Foundation Matrix–which has over 10,000 shades now included–and photos and swatches of the Radiant Cream Compact Foundation and its full twenty-shade range, we know there’s a match for you! Simply let us know what your current foundation and shade is (any brand!) and out pops your results–like magic! If you don’t have a foundation to match to, you can view swatches of the full range arranged from lightest to darkest, complete with descriptions, to help you decide.
NARS’ newest foundation is described as a “lightweight formula combines the supple feel of a cream foundation with the weightless coverage of liquid makeup for a truly glowing complexion.” It is “[e]nriched with the NARS exclusive Advanced Emulsion Technology, the velvety cream formula blends seamlessly and uniquely allows for the modern artistic versatility of a wet or dry application.” It’s a buildable, medium to full coverage foundation that comes in a portable compact.
Check out the NARS + Temptalia Foundation Matrix and share your shade in the comments! I’m Santa Fe 🙂
Full Shade Range
- Siberia Light with neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
- Mont Blanc Light with pink undertone
- Gobi Light with yellow undertone for Asian skin
- Deauville Light with neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
- Fiji Light with yellow undertone
- Ceylan Light-medium with yellow undertone
- Punjab Medium with golden, peachy undertone
- Vallauris Medium with pink undertone
- Santa Fe Medium with peachy undertone
- Stromboli Medium with olive undertone
- Barcelona Deeper medium with golden, peachy undertone
- Syracuse Medium-dark with brown undertone
- Tahoe Medium-dark with caramel undertone
- Cadiz Medium-dark with caramel and red undertone
- Macao Medium-dark with deep yellow undertone
- New Guinea Dark with red undertone
- Trinidad Dark with warm, yellow undertone
- New Orleans Dark with yellow undertone
- Benares Dark with golden undertone
- Khartoum Dark with espresso undertone
For Fall 2013, NARS debuts a new limited edition gift set, based on the glamorous city’s top-selling shades. Elevate any look with four evocative Eyeshadow hues and the brand’s iconic Deep Throat Blush and Laguna Bronzing Powder for cheeks – paired with cult favourite Nail Polish and Lip Gloss shades.
NARS Loves Los Angeles Set ($75.00) (Limited Edition)
- Deep Throat Flirty sheer peach (Blush)
- Abyssinia Delicate pearl sheen (Eyeshadow)
- Etrusque Antique (Eyeshadow)
- Outremer Bright true blue (Eyeshadow)
- Bali Neutral brown (Eyeshadow)
- Laguna Brown with golden shimmer (Bronzing Powder)
- Trouville Seashell pink (Nail Polish)
- Turkish Delight Pink sherbet (Lip Gloss)
Availability: September 1, 2013 at Barney’s Beverly Hills, Nordstrom (Topanga, Glendale, Westside, Farmers Market, Santa Anita, Santa Monica), Saks Fifth Avenue Beverly Hills, narscosmetics.com
Makeup artists have long used multiple shades of blush to give the face depth and dimension. Now beauty lovers can get creative with their own cheek technique at home, with two new limited edition blush palettes, each featuring four of the brand’s top-selling shades. Sculpt, highlight, and define the face for a variety of bold, modern, and artistic beauty looks.
Adult Content ($49.00) (Limited Edition)
- Zen Natural beige
- Miss Liberty Soft, shimmering peach
- Deep Throat Flirty, sheer peach
- Desire Cotton candy pink
Killing Me Softly ($49.00) (Limited Edition)
- Gilda Perfect coral with a hint of red
- Albatross Luminous glow
- Orgasm Peachy pink with golden shimmer
- Outlaw Soft rose tone with golden shimmer
Availability: September 1 at department and specialty stores, NARS boutiques, and narscosmetics.com