Chanel Cassis, MUFE #6L, UD Crash, UD Rockstar, MUFE #4L, CoverGirl Violet Voltage, UD 1999, Guerlain Bohemian
Plum (Purple) Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I split up purples into two, because I had a lot of plummy shades and then several more violet/blue-based purples, so I thought it was best to separate the two as they are similar to each other!
- Chanel Cassis Long Lasting Eyeliner is a dark plum with a near matte finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #6L Aqua Eyes is a plummy purple with a cooler finish–less red than most plums have. (Review)
- Urban Decay Crash 24/7 Liner is a darkened plum-brown with a frosted sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Rockstar 24/7 Liner is a darkened plum-brown with a frosted sheen. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #4L Aqua Eyes is a medium plum (Review)
- CoverGirl Violet Voltage Liquiline Blast is a red-toned plum with a near matte finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay 1999 24/7 Liner is a lightened red-tinged plum with gold shimmer. (Review)
- Guerlain Bohemian Stylo Yeux is a burgundy plum with a metallic sheen.
DUPE ALERT! Crash and Rockstar are surprisingly similar. Crash appears to be slightly brighter/plummier.
DUPE ALERT! Makeup For Ever #4L Aqua Eyes is a slightly lighter, sheerer version of CoverGirl’s Violet Voltage, which is really weird to say. The CoverGirl one does require layering though, but it comes together a little better in the end–also seems more matte.
Formula/Wear: CoverGirl Liquiline Blast is the only one that I have any issues with based on my experience. CoverGirl just requires more layering, as it is not as pigmented as the other shades here. I have not tested Guerlain Eyeliners in full, so I cannot comment on wear.
Make Up For Ever Lips to Love — We Won!
Thank you for all of your support!! I saw we won, because it’s very true! Make Up For Ever is putting together several of my designed Rock for Ever Essentials Kits, which I’ll be giving away to very lucky Temptalia readers. More details about the kit and how to win it to come You can check out my entry here.
Thank you again and again for all of your AMAZING comments!
With MAC Cham-Pale and Stylishly Yours keeping me busy, I just wanted to make sure I thanked you once again for your support and positivity. It really helps me keep my head up!
Make Up For Ever Flash Color Palette
Make Up For Ever Flash Color Palette
Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Palette ($95.00 for 2.46 oz.) contains Gold 004 (metallic gold), Coral 002 (vibrant coral), Turquoise 000 (light turquoise), Fuchsia 005 (bright fuchsia pink), Yellow 013 (vibrant yellow), Brown 023 (dark brown), Silver 003 (metallic silver), White 010 (pure white), Red 017 (bright red), Bright Blue 014 (bright royal blue), Leaf Green 008 (bright green), and Black 011 (pure black).
This is a multi-tasking, multi-purpose palette designed with the artist in mind. If you have ever played around with color theory, I think this might be something you would enjoy. These are thin, creamy colors in very basic shades (overall) that can be used as is or mixed together to create different shades and variations. I do find that these crease when worn alone, especially if you do not sheer them out a lot, but they work well when layered over an eyeshadow primer or with powder eyeshadows to set. I like these a lot for just general purpose, not necessarily so much as just eyeshadow bases, but as face or body paint.
- Gold 004 is a metallic yellow gold with shimmer.
- Silver 003 is a metallic silver with shimmer. It looks like foil.
- Coral 002 is a creamy medium coral.
- White 010 is a bright, creamy white.
- Turquoise 000 is a creamy, light aqua.
- Red 017 is a creamy, true red.
- Fuchsia 005 is a creamy, medium-dark deep pink.
- Bright Blue 014 is a creamy, brightened royal blue.
- Yellow 013 is a creamy, bright yellow.
- Leaf Green 008 is a creamy, light-medium grass green with yellow undertones.
- Brown 023 is a creamy, medium-dark chocolate brown.
- Black 011 is a creamy black.
On the back of the palette, it indicates that you cannot use these shades [in the USA] on the eyes: Coral 002, Fuchsia 005, or Red 017; nor these shades on the lips: Silver 003, White 010, or Bright Blue 014. It is interesting that the warnings are for the USA specifically. I was a little concerned about the packaging, but I have had this for a few months now, and the product is still creamy on the surface–no dried up product here.
Though Sephora doesn’t really sell individual flash colors (I only saw one–Bright Blue 014), they retail for $18 each (0.24 oz.), which works out to be $75/oz. This palette contains 2.46 oz. for $95, which works out to be $38.62/oz. It’s a nice way to load up on the Flash Colors for sure–twelve shades in all! A little goes a long way, but you do get a surprisingly amount of product per well (0.205 oz.).
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: At $95, it is definitely an investment and something you should thoroughly think about whether it is a product you would use. It consists of a lot of basic colors, because it is designed to be mixed on the fly for whatever color you need at a particular moment in time. It’s not necessarily a wear-and-go kind of palette either. I consider this more of an artistry palette, and for makeup artists and budding makeup artists alike, it is a worthwhile piece.
Make Up For Ever “Lips to Love” Lip Look
Last week, Make Up For Ever reached out to me to participate in their Lips to Love contest, which is all about spotlighting their new lipstick, Rouge Artist Intense (you can see reviews for 13, 20, 21, 37, 43, 44, 49). I had a few ideas floating around but once I found out that you could only use Rouge Artist Intense Lipsticks (what can I say, I had visions of using Strass and liner and… yeah, which is a good thing, because it would have been way. too. much!), I took inspiration from a lip look I did a few weeks ago.
My Lip Look: I used #21 (shimmering bright red) on the very outer edge of the lips, and I applied it using a lip brush to get a crisp edge. I then applied #17 (shimmering gold) on the center of the lips. On a metal palette, I mixed both #21 and #17 together and blended the two shades together by patting on the color with a lip brush. This gave it that seamless gradient of gold to fiery orange to scarlet I was hoping for.
There are seven lovely ladies who have all created their own lip looks, and you can check all eight of us here. The winner gets to giveaway 10 traincases filled with the winner’s favorite Make Up For Ever products to their readers. So the prize is really going to the readers, which is amazing! They are also giving out a lipstick to 10 winners everyday here.
You can check out all of the entries and vote for your favorite HERE! Today is the LAST day to vote — good luck to everyone!!
See a close-up… and see my first [totally different concept] attempt! Continue reading →
Make Up For Ever #48 Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick
The Sultry Season: Make Up For Ever #48 Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick
Make Up For Ever #44 Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick ($19.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a darkened red with a sheer-opaque look–it doesn’t look heavy or solid but it still delivers rather full-coverage color. It has a creamy texture with a slightly glossy finish. This is one of the creamier shades I’ve tried from Make Up For Ever’s Rouge Artist line-up, actually! It wears really well, too–a nice six hours. Make Up For Ever’s Rouge Artists are scent- and taste-free.
Is this the right red for you? Would you wear it?
The Sultry Season is a series of posts featuring deep, rich shades of brown, berry, plum, and wine lipsticks and lipglosses — just right for autumn — that runs through December 2010.
Givenchy #14, MAC Prussian, Dolce & Gabbana #8, YSL #03, MUFE #3L, MAC Marine Ultra, UD Binge, Chanel Marine, tokidoki Skeletro, MUFE #15L
Dark/Navy Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
As promised, here are navy blue pencil eyeliner comparisons!
- Givenchy #14 Magic Khol is a sheer violet-toned navy blue.
- MAC Prussian Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened blue with a subtle violet edge.
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- YSL Oriental Blue (03) Eyeliner is a medium-dark, brightened navy blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- MAC Marine Ultra Chromagraphic Pencil is a medium-dark ocean blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner is a darkened navy blue with purple tinge. (Review)
- Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver shimmer. (Review)
- tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver glitter. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #15L Aqua Eyes is a lightened dark blue with soft sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It appears that Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner and Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes are rather similar — possibly just the slightest difference in blue-ness.
DUPE ALERT!Both Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner and tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner are not far behind, just slightly darker and with a stronger blacker base, but the two themselves are quite similar. Skeletro has more glitter (whereas Marine has shimmer).
Formula/Wear: I have not tested Givenchy Magic Khol, so I cannot attest to its wear. YSL Eyeliners don’t seem to last all day on me, and Dolce & Gabbana can be hit or miss, but this particular shade lasted through a yoga session (and all day). tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners can be scratchy on the lash line because of the size of the glitter particles but wear fine otherwise.