An interview with Fafi, and of course, the relevant excerpt that has to do with the new launch!
How did you get involved in this project for M.A.C?
They approached me, it’s a cool project, I wanted to do that kind of thing for a long time.
Talk a bit about the line. What’s it called, What items are in it, what colors are there, what design did you choose for the packaging, and basically what makes it Fafi-makeup and not just regular makeup?
I think it’s regular make-up with a Fafi packaging! I didn’t work on the colors. I never bought M.A.C before because it was too expensive, but it’s actually crazy products and textures I have to say. I didn’t want to do random packaging, so I’ve created 3 characters for them: Eriko, Ermine and Monoka. They are from the CV but they sometimes come on earth to see what’s happening. They cannot be seen by human beings, so when they come it’s night time. Eriko loves Paris, french recipes and can’t stand people who owns restaurant and do mediocre food. Monoka loves to go to to Shibuya, Tokyo to sing 50 cent songs. Ermine searches for graffiti in NY with her camera.
When do they drop? Are the products limited, and if so how long will they be in M.A.C stores?
they drop for St Valentine’s day in the U.S and at Colette, then one month later everywhere else. I am going in a few countries to promote it, I just cancelled my Dubai event due to human reasons! Ha! it’s the first time i am involved in something.
Which product off of the line is your favorite, and why?
I have to wait, as usual I will be the last one to put my hands on it.
OVERALL, Fafi offers a lot of bright girly colors, lots of pinks, for this launch. There’s a few surprising colors that popped up, more sophisticated with darker tones or less shimmer, so I think most will find an item or two to pick up. I really liked the lip products, because of the cute, girliness of it all, but I would say that they’re not all unique so you could pass easily on some of them. The paint pots have excellent textures–they are all incredibly creamy, rich, and the color pay off is divine for all of them. I liked the quad with the green and peach-orange shadows, because I feel like you get more for your money, since the other quad has two permanent eyeshadows in it and the other two colors aren’t enough to persuade me to buy it anyway. I loved Sassed Up iridescent powder, and the blushes were lovely, but I’m not sure if I’ll cave for those yet. Oh, and by the way, the designs on the products are stickers, not actually printed on the products, which is a huge disappointment. It just seems cheap to me, and I know it’ll wear off easily (and heaven forbid it gets wet!). I wasn’t completely blown away by the launch personally, but I think it is a fun collection that offers just that, some fun. I picked up only a few items yesterday, because I’m going to a Fafi event on the 10th, so I’ll probably get more then. I just got Fun N Sexy lipstick, Squeeze It lipglass, and Cash Flow paint pot (plus, I had to get some PRO products, of course!).
See swatches here! Read a detailed review… Continue reading →
Wait, what? Oh, you know that meet&greet we had, well the PRO store launched FAFI! WAY EARLY! Here are swatches… I’m going to work on the review now, but I have a dinner at 7pm, so it might not be up til later tonight. I’ll do my best!
Check out the rest! Continue reading →
WWD has an article about the upcoming Fafi for MAC launch…
[Babier says] “Fafi wasn’t involved in developing the makeup, but her work inspired it. The idea, really, was a young-at-heart feeling – toned-down skin, a pretty, girly mouth and colorful eyes. The colors are playful with a sophisticated twist, and they’re sheer and buildable so you can control the effect.”
The collection – whose muse is “a nymphet with a Ph.D. in passion,” Gager said – includes six lipsticks, four Lipglasses, two eye shadow quads, six eye shadow Paint Pots, black eyeliner, two kohl pencils, black mascara and two blushes, as well as three Fafinette dolls, two makeup cases, a tote bag, a T-shirt and a scarf. Colors include blue-pink lipsticks and Lipglasses, dirty purple and bright aqua eye shadows and coral blushes.
Good news for collectors and fans: dolls and totes will be at freestanding stores, select Nordstroms, and online; scarves will only be available via MAC stores as well as online, while t-shirts will be an online exclusive. The online microsite for Fafi will go live February 11th. Fafi herself will appear February 13th 4-6 pm at Henri Bendel.
Sometimes the internet is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? I bring you these sneak peek photos of Dazzleglass, a new gloss formulation by MAC, slated for late April/May release from an eBay seller. These may or not be the official names, as they may be working names (temporary names that are sometimes later changed), but the seller is reputable and known for having products before launches from time to time, so it would appear that these are legitimate.
- Baby Sparks Hot, cool pink
- Steppin’ Out Hot bright pink
- Spanking Rich Dark fuchsia
- Pleasure Principle Shimmery white
- Sugarrimmed Cool shimmery pink
- Ms. Fizz Bright purple fuchsia
- Money, Honey Berry pink-red
- Love Alert Bright red
- Like Venus Shimmery purple
- Funtabulous Deep purple-blue
- Comet Blue Shimmery blue with purple undertones
- Bare Necessity Peachy with blue shimmer
- Date Night Shimmery maroon
- Glamour OD Coral red with shimmer
The seller mentioned there were thirteen shades in total, but I only caught eleven when I was viewing (guess others must have snatched up the other two auctions?).
Just beauty news I happened by this morning…
Max Azria Wants to do Beauty, too
- Max Azria (BCBG, Max Azria, Herve Leger, BCBGirls) is planning to get into the beauty and fragrance business in the future! He is currently meeting with different potential partners to help him develop the endeavors appropriately. Source
MAC on @ Backstage Beauty
- “This season, a big focus for product development is on skin. The M.A.C PRO Team will be sampling a new hydrating foundation with a unique cream gel technology, along with an innovative loose powder that are sure to become backstage staples. Also being tested backstage is a new lipstick formulation that delivers color, shine and moisture, with a buildable coverage. M.A.C aims to launch the products tested backstage to consumers in Winter 2008 or Spring 2009.” Source
Sephora in the UK again?
- “According to press reports, the LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton-owned perfumery has been in talks with Marks & Spencer with an eye to opening Sephora shop-in-shops. If that happens, it would mark Sephora’s return to the U.K. after it shuttered its nine perfumeries there in 2005.” Source