Mixing Medium — Don’t Use Pigments Without It!
MAC Water-Based Mixing Medium ($18.00 for 50ml) is an absolute must-have if you work with MAC Pigments or Glitters. It actually took me many years before I purchased the real deal Mixing Medium–previously, I had always done the DIY version. (For reference, the DIY version is one part glycerin and three parts water, mix, and enjoy!) To be honest, I think either version works just as well, but I know the official Mixing Medium is designed to have a much longer shelf life than the DIY version (since it lacks any preservatives).
This Mixing Medium is water-based, and as such, the texture feels just like water. I like that, because it doesn’t feel thick, goopy, or sticky. The way I use my Mixing Medium is primarily with pigments and occasionally with glitters. I usually put one drop (it dispenses by droplets) on a flat brush like the 239 or 249, pick up some pigment, and then apply on the lid (or wherever). Together, it creates an excellent eyeshadow base, but it also intensifies pigments and keeps them together–there’s no fallout here! Though I haven’t used it for such things, you can also use this with other MAC liquid or powder products. I will also say that one bottle will last me a lifetime (though I will obviously replace it before then!).
There is also an alcohol-based Mixing Medium (used from the neck down), an eyeliner Mixing Medium (comes in a tube), lash Mixing Medium (allows you to create customized shades of Pro Long Lash Mascara), and gel-based Mixing Medium (not to be used around the eye area).
It is a PRO product, which means it was originally designed to be used by makeup artists and not necessarily consumers, but everyone is able to purchase PRO products, regardless of your resume. If you live near a PRO store locally, you just have to show up and shop like you would any other MAC location. If you don’t, I know in the U.S., you can place a phone order with any PRO store and they’ll ship you your items for a flat rate of $7 (this is usually how I get any PRO products). Since shipping is a flat rate, I usually make up a good list of PRO-only items I want so I can make it worth it, too
By the by… some PRO stores will have collections in a week early, and so if SF, LA, or SCP PRO have it out, sometimes I place a phone order and that’s how I’ll get the products a couple of days earlier than the national launch date. Secrets from a MAC addict… LOL!
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 30/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 5/5
Recommendation: If you’ve ever had trouble with your pigments or loose color eyeshadows, you may want to check out MAC’s Mixing Medium to keep your loose color on your lid better!
Availability: MAC PRO
MAC Trip Collection — New Compacts
For 2010, MAC has released new palettes and kits exclusively for their Travel Retail stores. Like Trip from last year, these are exclusive to Duty Free Stores.
MAC Trip Compact Kits Collection
Jet Boy, Jet Girl! Gonna take you ’round the world with trip compact kits! First, Trip: Warm Eye Shadows, with six hot, haute warm hues. Next Trip: Cool Eye Shadow with six cool, chic shades. And finally, Trip: Total Face Kit, complete with Shell and Secret Ceremony Cream Colour Base, Stripped and Rosehips Lip Gloss and Belightful Iridescent Pressed Powder. They’re addictive little goodies, a secret stash to put out a fashion fire… or start one. Try one, you’ll come back for more. They’re the very essence of needful things!
New square compact silhouette with a basic black matte finish featuring the MAC logo.
- Shroom Soft muted golden beige with opalescent shimmer (Satin) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Bagatelle Neutral beige with yellow frost (Frost) (From D’Bohemia, Photo)
- Expensive Pink Pink with gold duochrome (Veluxe Pearl) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Trax Vivid-hued violet glazed with bronze (Velvet) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Humid Intense green with shimmer (Frost) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Embark Deep rich brown-black (Matte) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Filament Platinum silver (Lustre) (Permanent) (Swatch)
- Mink Pink Neutral soft pink (Veluxe) (Discontinued) (Swatch)
- Flirty Number Brown plum (Frost) (From Lingerie) (Photo)
- Little Minx Plum with pink duochrome (Frost) (From Rebel Rock) (Photo)
- Flashtrack Bright midnight blue with silver reflective pearlized particles (Veluxe Pearl) (Permanent)
- Carbon Intense black (Matte) (Permanent) (Swatch)
Total Face Kit
New double-decker compact featuring a quad pan payout on top and a large powder pan on bottom.
- Shell Cream Colour Base Soft muted pinkish-beige with icy shimmer (Frost) (Permanent)
- Secret Ceremony Cream Colour Base Dark nude (Exclusive to Palette)
- Rose Hips Lipglass Pink (Exclusive to Palette)
- Stripped Lipglass Coral (Exclusive to Palette)
- Belightful Iridescent Pressed Powder Gilded peach bronze (From Fafi for MAC) (Swatch)
Availability: March 2010 at DFS and Travel Retail Locations Exclusively