MAC Shadesticks: Relaxed, Warm & Cozy, Nurture, Cuddle
MAC Warm & Cozy Collection: Shadesticks
MAC is definitely bringing back shadesticks with a vengeance, don’t you think? With five limited edition shades from Sugarsweet and four new (but still limited edition) shades from Warm & Cozy, it makes me wonder if we’ll be seeing more of these in 2010.
- Relaxed is a deep, chocolate bronze with a soft frost finish. It has the least frosty finish out of the four, but it’s still noticeably shimmery and has that frost edge associated with frost textures. I thought this was the most pigmented and smoothest of the bunch as well.
- Warm & Cozy is a burnt copper shade with sparkly glitter particles. I actually felt like this had a very chunky, gritty texture–it wasn’t a winner for me. Shadesticks should be smooth, and I didn’t find that this one was nearly as smooth as I’d expect. It felt like a lustre eyeshadow almost, with the way the glitter flecks were so obvious.
- Nurture is a pink champagne with a neutral feel. It’s not a bright, nor pastel, pink and it looks very fleshy-pink-beige in a way. It has the same frost finish appearance as the other shadesticks in the launch.
- Cuddle is a frosty white-gold with yellow daffodil feel. It definitely has a frost finish, and since it is so light, yet covers well, it would make an excellent base as well.
MAC New York Apple Lipstick
The Scarlet Season: MAC New York Apple Lipstick
MAC New York Apple Lipstick ($14.00) is a classic berry-based red. It’s a deep raspberry red with lots of lighter raspberry shimmer. This has always been one of my favorite MAC lipstick shades, red or not, and it’s something that suits a lot of skin tones. It can be worn alone or topped with gloss for an extra kick. MAC lipsticks usually last four to six hours on me, depending on the finish (lustres wear off the fastest), and this one stays on for somewhere in-between–five hours or so. I love layering this with a gold gloss to make it perfect for the holidays!
What about you? Would you wear this red?
The Scarlet Season is a series of posts showcasing and featuring my favorite shades of red lips–from glosses to lipsticks that runs through December 2009. You can sure expect to see a lot of red this holiday season!
Cream/Gel Eyeliner Breakdown
Cream/gel eyeliners are usually thick creams (the consistency of a cream, but the thickness of more like a paste… or a lipstick, for a better beauty reference!). They usually require a brush to apply it, and most use these on the upper lash line (they can be irritating on the lower lash line, particularly for those with more sensitive eyes). They’re a very, very popular item with numerous brands having their own take on the cream/gel eyeliner product type.
At the end of the day, they’re all quality cream/gel eyeliners and none are not worth paying for. As with many cosmetic products, some will work better on others–we’re not all going to fall in love with the same formula–but I do think these are all good picks. Personally, I tend to choose by the color/shade rather than the brand! If I had to give you a top three (in alphabetical order), they would be: Bobbi Brown, MAC, and shu uemura.
Here’s a comparison across eight different brands and their cream/gel eyeliners… Continue reading →
MAC Spring 2010 Collections
As always, MAC has a whole slew of collections collections up their sleeves this spring season, and here’s a round-up of everything from now until April (just FYI, spring is considered February through April!). I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as I have photos available!
What collections are going to make you go broke? Which ones will you have to see in person first?
MAC Prep for Colour Collection
U.S. Launch Date: April 8th, 2010
International Launch Date: April 2010
Artists use watercolour, oil, chalk, pastel, pencil, ink. We use makeup. Both require a bold vision and a perfectly primed canvas to start. New innovations to ensure the Artist’s idyll is perfectly realized: Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum evens out any skin tone, Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 helps stop future damage with ultimate determination, and for M·A·C Asia, Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ blurs visible skin imperfections and helps block harmful rays. The state-of-the-art way to prepare skin for a flawless makeup application. Prep for Colour helps every skin type become a modern masterpiece.
Lipglass ($14.00 U.S. / $16.50 CDN)
- Just Add Colour Fuchsia pink (Frost) (Limited Edition)
Eyeshadow ($14.50 U.S. / $17.00)
- Hey Warm mid-tone beige (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
- Prepped for Glamour Ashy/dirty brown (Frost) (Limited Edition)
- Sorcery Reddish mid-tone brown (Satin) (Limited Edition)
Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum ($40.00 U.S. / $48.00 CDN)
A serum formulated to ins tantly brighten, smooth, firm, and hydrate the skin while providing a plumper, more evenly toned finish to the complexion. Natural antioxidants help to strengthen the skin against UV-related damage, while M·A·C Charged Water ens ures deep, long-lasting hydration. Everywhere except Asia.
Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 ($30.00 U.S. / $36.50 CDN)
Everywhere except Asia.
Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ ($30.00 U.S. / $36.50 CDN)
A tinted skin primer formulated with soft-focus powders to help even out skin tone and add radiance. Lightweight and invisible, it goes on under foundation or powder for a naturally perfect look and subtle glow. Helps protect against pollution and UV rays. Available in three tints: Illuminate adds radiance to a sallow complexion; Neutralize calms a red, blotchy complexion; and Adjust brightens dull skin. Fragrance free. Asia exclusive.
MAC Mineralize Foundation SPF 15 for Spring 2010
U.S. Launch: February 4th, 2010
International Launch: February 2010
The world is made of precious minerals, the foundation for all living things…. Mineralize Foundation SPF 15 is the synthesis of earthly essential elements, in the form of a rich, luxurious solid cream compact with a liquid mineral infusion.
This uniquely textured foundation delivers ultimate hydration while revitalizing the look of dull and dry areas. Medium buildable, smooth even coverage and a feather-cloud comfortable silky feel with a natural finish. Add the essential 130 Short Duo Fibre Brush and SPF 15 for skin perfection with protection.
Mineralize Foundation SPF 15 ($32.00 U.S. / $38.00 CDN)
- NC15, NC20, NC25, NC30, NC35, NC37, NC40, NC42, NC44, NC45, NC50, NC55
- NW15, NW20, NW25, NW30, NW35, NW40, NW43, NW45, NW47, NW50, NW55
Brush ($38.00 U.S. / $45.50 CDN)
- 130 Short Duo Fibre A short, round dual fibre with flat head composed of both natural bristles and synthetic fibres ideal for application with creams, emulsions, and various powder products. (Permanent)
Minerals are the foundation for all living things. The human body is made of approximately 60% water and skin is approximately 70% water. By fusing minerals and water, Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation is the synthesis of earthly essential elements in the form of a rich, luxurious solid cream compact with a liquid mineral infusion. This uniquely textured, medium buildable, foundation delivers immediate hydration while revitalizing the look of dull and dry skin. Used backstage during the Spring/Summer 2010 fashion shows of; BCBG, Carolina Herrera and Baby Phat, it is both a makeup artists dream and a real woman’s skin saving grace.
Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation features an innovative gel based system that provides extreme comfort and creaminess in application, making this formula appealing to all skins but especially normal to dry. The gel fuses the formula’s high water content (30.5%) with the polymers and coated pigments for the ultimate in silky smooth, yet long wearing (up to 8 hours), colour payoff. Because of the immediate moisturization benefits, Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation also helps to immediately reduce the appearance of pores and provides skin with a non-sticky, cooling break.
Additionally, a blend of lightweight oils creates a creamy, comfortable feeling on the skin. The innovative wax-free structure helps moisturize skin, while light diffusing optics help minimize the visibility of pores and imperfections for a flawless looking complexion
Natural Ingredients Equal Flawless Skin
- A special blend of 77 minerals that have been bio-fermented into a yeast extract and our Multimineral Complex IV, a water-based solution of Potassium,Magnesium, Sodium and Zinc, work together to help nurture skin
- Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, and Faex (Yeast) Extract help moisturize and give skin a more radiant, re-energized look
- Silicone Crosspolymer and a combination of lightweight, luminous oils provides a smooth even finish that is soft and silky to touch
- Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation’s mineral rich formula also provides UVB, SPF 15 protection and is non-acnegenic, dermatologist Tested and fragrance free.
TO USE: Apply to face or area where coverage is desired directly from the compact using a sponge or foundation brush. Blend with fingers, sponge or brush.