One of my favorite shades in makeup (especially for eyes and nails) is pewter. I love that it’s this mix of gray, gold, silver, and green–it can be such a complex shade.
- Dior Millenium — shimmering, warm-toned pewter in a cream formulation that can be worn sheer or opaque
- MAC Antique Diamond — a metallic golden pewter with soft sparkle in a cream form
- Benefit Skinny Jeans — a classic green-leaning pewter with a golden bronze sheen
- Inglot #454 — a lovely light-medium golden pewter with a frosted, metallic finish
- Urban Decay Addiction — limited edition but still available (so I couldn’t resist), this is a beautiful green-ish, dirty gold for tips
What’s your favorite pewter-hued beauty product?
October is a time that reminds me to be brave; to not be afraid of bold, unusual colors. Halloween is an often excuse to play with color in ways we’ve never felt comfortable doing so the rest of the year, but it also serves as a great reminder to: experiment more. play more. go outside of our comfort zone. embrace the unknown. thirst for something different. These are a few of my favorite more unique and unusual shades that I’ve come across, and I hope you’ll share your own unusual finds with me!
- Illamasqua Apocalips is a vivid, medium-dark blue-teal with a matte finish. I love the unusual color, but what I love even more is that it still applies and wears fairly well. It’s definitely a show-stopping color!
- Sleek Sunset Palette is a budget-friendly palette that’s top-to-bottom fantastic. No duds in the bunch; not only is this a feat for an eyeshadow palette in general, but to do so at under $15? It’s quite unusual!
- Inglot #434 is a cool-toned, purplish taupe–a glorious mix of purple, gray, and brown for something infinitely complex, bold but neutral.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Th(ink) is a bold, cool-toned violet purple with a pearly shimmer that really opens up the eye–and it is a shade that had many, many readers asking, “What are you wearing?” Purple eyeliners that can be applied with opaque, rich color are hard to come by, but Th(ink) makes a strong case for one that does.
- Giorgio Armani #701 is a cool-toned, sheer bluish-purple gloss filled with blue and violet shimmer. It’s very intriguing on its own, but it can be layered over lipstick for a different look.
- NARS Taj Mahal is bold, bright, but not totally over-the-top, and it’s more of a tangerine than a full-on orange with red tones, so it has more golden, yellowy undertones.
- Cult Nails You’re My Dandy Lion is a warm, buttery yellow with a cream finish–and lo and behold, it applies beautifully. It’s practically a unicorn among polish!
- Fyrinnae Parental Advisory is a bold, bright, royal purple like I haven’t seen before. It’s so vibrant and pigmented–if you are a fiend for purple eyeshadow, it is a must-have.
- OCC Jubilee is a pale, aqua-green with a blue-purple duochrome. It’s metallic, shimmering, and reflective. I love the way the color shifts as you move, as it is layered over other products, and will lean one way or another depending on what is paired with.
- Illamasqua Stranger is a green-ish gold gloss with a high-shine finish, lots of metallic shimmer, and it is a shade that changes as you move.
I hope you’ll consider sharing your must-haves for October in the comments! Here’s a quickie list to get you started…
Must-Have Eye Products:
Must-Have Cheek/Face Products:
Must-Have Lip Products:
Must-Have Hair/Skin Products:
The one color that always tugs at my heart-strings is molten gold–that really rich, warm, almost orange-toned, shade of gold. It’s deep, rich, and pure luxury to me. I have so many favorites, but here are five permanent picks from me! (But Urban Decay Honey Eyeliner will always be a shade I miss desperately.)
- Inglot #430 — a rich, yellow gold with a frosted, metallic sheen–this eyeshadow has an incredible texture
- OCC Triptych — a vibrant, metallic gold for your lips (but if full intensity isn’t your thing, try it patted over a burgundy or red!)
- NARS Iskandar — a phenomenally pigmented cream eyeliner/eyeshadow with a gorgoeus finish
- Fyrinnae Aztec Gold — an intensely pigmented, dirty gold–I thought I’d throw one in that wasn’t quite as warm-toned that still held a lot of depth
- Sephora Girls Night Out — a rich, warm-toned gold with an orange-brown undertone and a frosted finish
Do you have any shades of molten gold?
Autumn makes me think of the changing colors of the leaves, rain, and a lingering dampness and crispness in the air–which always makes me think of earthiness. One of my favorite earth tones is greens, and this post is inspired by them; murky, mossy, and dirty greens that are beautiful to wear.
- Inglot #419 — a subtly warm-toned, dirty green with a frosted finish
- OCC Ripley — a gorgeous, gold-sparkled mossy green with threads of metallic shimmer for your nails
- Urban Decay Stash — a classic olive-green eyeliner that’s richly pigmented and glides on easily
- Make Up For Ever #84 — a muted, darkened green with neutral-cool undertones
- L’Oreal Golden Emerald — a richly pigmented, slightly warm-toned gold-shimmered forest green
What are your top favorites?
I love weathered blues; which I interpret as blues that are dusty, muted, gray-tinged, stormy, and such. There’s just a faded quality to them, but there’s still depth and interest in the color. My very favorite of all-time is Urban Decay Strip, which was discontinued quite awhile ago.
- Urban Decay Shattered — a shimmering, muted blue with green and gold shimmer
- L’Oreal Infinite Sky — a gorgeous, glimmering stormy blue with a hint of gray
- Zoya Skylar — a muted, gray-tinged blue with gold sparkle
- Inglot #336 — slightly brightened and richer, but still a rather muted, navy blue with a matte finish
- Zoya Sunshine — a sparkling, muted navy blue polish
What’s your favorite shade of a weathered blue?
This post is inspired by today being National Wear Teal Day, which is a day to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer, and it was brought to my attention particularly by Laura Mercier. The brand has a history of raising awareness and supporting women with ovarian cancer through the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund as well as on the cosmetic side, the brand also donates 100% of the profits of three of their products towards the cause.
I, of course, need little push to wear teal, as it is one of my favorite colors, but today, teal has more meaning. Ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women (per Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, which has a great infographic here) and only 15% of cases are detected early, which is a key reason for raising awareness, particularly of potential symptoms and risk factors. You can learn more about early detection here.
Here are my five favorites right now:
- Urban Decay Deep End — a bluish-teal with a frosted finish
- Zoya Giovanna — a shimmering teal with a slight green tint
- Fyrinnae Gender Bent — a brightened teal with a soft pearl finish
- Illamasqua Apocalips — to really make a statement, a matte teal lipstick
- Inglot #338 — a deep, blue-teal with a matte finish
What’s your favorite teal?