I love a good purple, but a good purple isn’t always easy to be found–especially in eyeliner or eyeshadow form, as they are often less pigmented, but these are all shades that are full of pigment!
- Illamasqua Jo’mina — a brightened, lavender purple with a cream finish for tips and toes
- Fyrinnae Parental Advisory — a rich, vibrant cool-toned purple with a frosted finish for eyes
- Milani Perfect Purple — a shimmery purple eyeliner that won’t let you down
- Make Up For Ever #92 — a bold purple with a matte finish — famous for a reason
- Zoya Suri — a metallic-shimmered violet purple for tips and toes
What’s the brightest/most vibrant purple you own?
This post is inspired by today being National Wear Teal Day, which is a day to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer, and it was brought to my attention particularly by Laura Mercier. The brand has a history of raising awareness and supporting women with ovarian cancer through the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund as well as on the cosmetic side, the brand also donates 100% of the profits of three of their products towards the cause.
I, of course, need little push to wear teal, as it is one of my favorite colors, but today, teal has more meaning. Ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women (per Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, which has a great infographic here) and only 15% of cases are detected early, which is a key reason for raising awareness, particularly of potential symptoms and risk factors. You can learn more about early detection here.
Here are my five favorites right now:
- Urban Decay Deep End — a bluish-teal with a frosted finish
- Zoya Giovanna — a shimmering teal with a slight green tint
- Fyrinnae Gender Bent — a brightened teal with a soft pearl finish
- Illamasqua Apocalips — to really make a statement, a matte teal lipstick
- Inglot #338 — a deep, blue-teal with a matte finish
What’s your favorite teal?
Rebecca suggested a theme of polishes perfect for autumn, and here are my five picks! I wanted to vary the shades so there would (hopefully!) be something for everyone to consider. There were a lot of amazing limited edition shades that caught my eye, but I wanted to stick with shades permanently available.
- Butter London Thames — deep, shimmering teal
- Illamasqua Raindrops — cool, bluish gray with flecks of sparkle/glitter
- Zoya Evvie — muted, stormy green-gray
- Chanel Provocation — muted plum-purple cream
- Guerlain Nahema — orange cream
What’s your favorite nail color to wear during autumn?
The Sacred Hour is the time to release your inner warrior. Embrace new beginnings at daybreak and re-stoke the fire in your heart as the sun sets. Breathe in the elements, enhance your features, and express yourself. Find your courage, wisdom and power within.
“A moment to reflect your inner fire and strength; a spark that is ignited with the dawn, and rolls towards a raging fire with the dusk. Inside we have the power to fan those flames, connect with our spirits and open our hearts to greatness.” — Alex Box, Illamasqua Creative Di rector
“The Sacred Hour is a time portal for self-reflection, appreciation and empowerment. Let your inner spirit ascend, take flight and descend to rest.” — David Horne, Illamasqua Director of Product Development
New Reflection Palette ($46.50 / £34.00)
Nature’s core elements expressed in one beautiful palette. The water-resistant formula, silky textures and shimmer finishes can be worn in a natural or enchanting way. Long wearing hold, effortless application and blendable. Versatile shades each with a mystical story of their own.
- Precipice Soft lemon
- Acute Ash taupe
- Graphica Graphite grey
- Dart Toasted bronze
Velvet Blusher ($26.00 / £18.00
Experience unexpected textures with two radiant cream to powder blushers. Illamasqua Velvet Blusher delivers a fresh, long-lasting and wearable matte finish exuding natural radiance. Easily blendable, and containing Mineral Mica, it is available in two complementing shades.
- Sleek Dusky coral
- Peaked Dusky rose
Lipstick ($24.00 / £16.50)
A versatile shade to be worn as a symbol of your strength, this lipstick embodies inner empowerment and confidence. Long wearing with a creamy matte finish.
Nail Varnish ($17.00 / £14.50)
Two complementing shades that capture the essence of dawn and dusk. Inspired by opalescent crystals and flint, these varnishes create a mystical finish whilst being long wearing and chip resistant.
- Facet Grey crystal
- Hemlock Pale opal green
Lush Lash ($17.00 / £14.50)
Enchanting, feather-like False Eye Lashes to complete, complement and add drama to any look.
Skin Base Lift ($24.00 / £16.00
Lift, illuminate and create flawless coverage with this brightening concealer. Infused with warm peach tones to flatter every skin tone, Skin Base Lift blends easily,
correcting uneven pigmentation and visibly lifting the eye area. For added brightening effect, custom mix each shade with Skin Base Lift in White Light.
- White Light, Light 1, Light 2, Medium 1, Medium 2, Deep 1 & Deep 2
Availability: August 30th @ Sephora
The Tempting 10 features my top product picks for the upcoming month, and these are all products I’ve reviewed in the past (you can click around the image above or use the links below to see more photos, swatches, etc.). I think it’s a great way for me to share old favorites (but always ones that are permanent!) and highlight recent limited editions that have captured my attention. Asking me to narrow anything down to a top ten is difficult, but I’ve tried to capture products across brands, price points, and even types, for a more well-rounded list.
August is that month that, for me, will always be the last real month of summer, even if technically it’s not over. I think a lot of it has to do with being in school until I was 25, so August meant back-to-school shopping, enjoying the last days with no essays, no textbooks, and no looming exams, and getting away with (at least some of the time) doing nothing. Now that I’ve graduated from school, summer is a little different, but there’s a part of me that still gets nervous when August 1st pops up on the calendar, because I think, “Nooo, school!” To that end, I look at the month as one filled with fun, which is why my favorites are vibrant and rich. I also think with the hot temperatures we see in August, brighter colors just feel so appropriate, and then formulas that are minimalist or long-wearing are musts. I love how one statement color, whether on eyes, lips, or nails (or wherever else!) can instantly make one look alive and colorful and present without spending a lot of time or having to worry about it breaking down easily.
Bonus: a lot of these products work well for anyone hurried in the mornings or doesn’t want to touch-up a lot during the day–so perfect for those of you who are heading back to school this fall.
- Maybelline Vibrant Mandarin — a rich, vibrant orange-red for the perfect pop of color in the summer when you want to look a little done up but not actually wear a lot of makeup
- NARS Taos — a bolder, super pigment-rich shade that can be worn subtly or intensely in a burnt red with gold shimmer–the more you blend and buff it into the skin, the more glowy it looks
- Zoya Beatrix – a sparkling, dazzling tangerine for your nails that wears well, too
- YSL Vert d’Orient – a rich, decadent teal cream that makes me think of swimming pools, tropical islands, and vacation
- Illamasqua Supernatural — a dewy, bronzy glow that gives skin a wet, shimmering look
- Burberry Cameo Pink – a beautiful, glossy coral-pink shimmered with gold with semi-opaque color coverage
- OCC New Wave – glossy, shiny, stained glass color that is lighter than lipstick but still more pigmented than traditional gloss; New Wave being a pinky-red with subtle cool undertones–like a juicy watermelon for your lips
- Urban Decay Radium — a deep blue with a frosted finish and would work well paired with golds, greens, aquas, and teals (if the eyeshadow is too much, there is always the eyeliner!)
- Sephora Fairytale — shimmer like a mermaid with this blue-based teal that has green and gold shimmer; I love wearing shades like this (I am a teal eyeliner junkie) on the lower lash line with not much else on the eyes for an instant burst of color
- Marc Jacobs The Starlet – it’s a lovely palette, period, but I think it’s a nice transition piece from summer to fall, and August, no doubt, is going to be an interesting month for MJB, since we’ll see the full release and I can’t wait to hear what the beauty world says about the range!
I’d also like to take a moment in this post to plead with Tom Ford to make his Cream Colors in Escapade and Pink Haze permanent, because had they not completely sold out months ago (part of the summer collection), they would have earned a spot here most definitely.
I hope you’ll consider sharing your must-haves for August in the comments! Here’s a quickie list to get you started…
- Must-Have Eye Products:
- Must-Have Cheek/Face Products:
- Must-Have Lip Products:
- Must-Have Hair/Skin Products:
Illamasqua is now available at Bloomingdale’s! Select stores will also be carrying the line.
- 59th Street – 8/7
- Soho – 8/10
- Short Hills -8/15
- North Michigan – 8/21
- Aventura – 8/28
- Huntington -8/31