The Best of the Best: Dior
Dior excels at creating (even when you thought you had it covered) staples that you’ll use time and time again. Many of my favorite products to use on a daily basis are dior. Dior can be colorful and bright, but they’re more often subtle and natural–not boring, mind you.
- Dior Diorskin Shimmer Stars ($43.00) are quite possibly my favorite product by Dior, period. These are subtle highlighters that work well on all skin tones and give that “glowy” appearance without overloading the skin with shimmer. They’re natural and bring out the skin’s own glow. Really, really phenomenal. You can just see how many looks I’ve done with Amber Diamond and Rose Diamond alone.
- Dior Addict 1.7 oz Eau de Parfum Spray ($72.00) was one of my first fragrances, and it is still one of my more coveted scents. It is a heady scent that works extremely well for evening and formal occasions.
- Dior Diorskin Nude ($45.00) is a water-based, lightweight light-to-medium coverage foundation that gives skin a flawless and healthy look. You can read my full review for even more reasons why it rocks my world.
- Dior ‘One Color Extreme’ Eyeshadow ($27.50) are highly pigmented single doses of eyeshadow. Dior is actually coming out with several new shades this fall/winter, so look for them! For now, you can check out the two that came out with the fall collection.
- Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss Reflect ($25.50) are non-sticky, hydrating lipglosses with a beautiful glossy finish. They come in a variety of shades, and they’re one of Dior’s signature products.
- Dior 2-Colour Eyeshadow ($35.00) are richly pigmented eyeshadow duos. They’re not quite at the level of the Extreme eyeshadows, but they’re coordinated shades that are worth the investment if it’s in your budget.
- Dior Bronze Harmony Blush ($42.00) is on the level of Skin Shimmers. Soft, subtle color that looks natural and truly enhances the skin in a way that’s beautiful. Check out my review for Rose Brazilia and Coral Riviera.
What are your favorite Dior products?
Night Butterfly Quint
Dior’s Jazz Club Collection featured a great many items for the season, lots of smoky shades of shadows, pouty lip colors, and flawless skin could be seen.
Night Butterfly 5-Colour Eyeshadow Quint ($56.00) is a stunning combination of lilacs, jewel-tone purples, and glittery black. It contains a medium jewel-toned purple with pink shimmer, a softer pink-lilac, a shimmery berry-wine, a soft, gray with brown tones, and the centerpiece is a matte black with silver glitter. All five colors were well-pigmented, and all but the center black shade was incredibly smooth. I found the black shade to be a tiny bit chalky, and the glitter, while pretty to look at, resulted in a fair amount of fall out. The black shade reminded me a lot of MAC’s Black Tied eyeshadow.
Smoky Jazz Eyeshadow Palette ($65.00) has four shades of eyeshadow, one shade of eyebrow powder, and one shade of eyeliner. In this palette, the eyeliner is a dark black, which wasn’t super creamy, so it made it a bit difficult to use. The brow powder shade was a cool-toned medium-dark brown. The four eyeshadow shades included a lightly grayed-black, cool-toned bronzy-taupe, medium silver, and a brighter silvery-frost. Pigmentation was so-so in these, but I felt like Dior’s singles, duos, and quint eyeshadows were much better in quality and pigmentation in comparison.
Purple Jazz Eyeshadow Palette ($65.00) has four shades of eyeshadow, one shade of eyebrow powder, and one shade of eyeliner. The eyeliner in this palette is a cranberry-burgundy shade, and again, not ultra creamym, making it less appealing. The brow powder was the same, cool-toned medium-dark brown as in the Smoky Jazz palette. The four eyeshadow shades included: a red-toned purple-plum, a cool-toned amethyst purple, a cool-toned shimmery taupe-brown, and an icy pink with silver shimmer. Again, pigmentation wasn’t the best in these, and I certainly couldn’t recommend these at the price point they’re at, because the quality just isn’t up to snuff.
Argentic 1-Colour Extreme Eyeshadow ($27.50) is a silvery, lightly-taupe shade of eyeshadow. It’s extremely shimmery and pigmented. (For the price, it should be!) Trendy Taupe 1-Colour Extreme Eyeshadow ($27.50) is a semi-matte deep brown that runs more neutral than warm or cool. Cocktail Look 2-Colour Eyeshadow ($35.00) is a duo featuring a semi-matte, satiny silver-gray and a shimmery confection pink.
- Taffeta Plum Ultra-Gloss Reflect ($25.50) is a semi-sheer plummy-raspberry with pink shimmer with a frosty finish.
- Draped Burgundy Ultra-Gloss Reflect ($25.50) is a semi-sheer deeper, reddish-burgundy with light golden shimmer.
- Mauve Royale Addict Lip Color ($26.00) is a shimmery pink with slight mauve tones. It has a bit of golden shimmer weaved throughout the shade. It felt semi-sheer to me.
- Decadent Plum Addict Lip Color ($26.00) is a rich, semi-opaque reddish-wine with plummy tones. It reminded me a bit of a red plum outside, just a little more vibrant. This one has more of a glossy sheen than any shimmer.
- Negligee Pink Addict Lip Color ($26.00) is an opaque, pinky-red with a glossy sheen and no real shimmer.
- Rose Nectar Creme de Gloss ($26.00) is a semi-sheer peachy-rose with golden shimmer with a frosty finish.
- Sweet Praline Creme de Gloss ($26.00) is a semi-sheer deeper, more brown version of Rose Nectar, with more of a soft coppery shimmer.
- Black Plum Vernis ($20.00) is a dark, burgundy-wine shade that goes on glossy and opaque.
The collection also included some permanent items being repromoted, such as Rose Diamond Skin Shimmer, Strawberry Sorbet and Rosebud Blushes.
See swatches and product photos… Continue reading →
Dior Jazz Club Collection for Fall 2009 Sneak Peek – Part 3
Dior’s Jazz Club will also include some single eyeshadows — Argentic and Trendy Taupe ($27.50 each). Argentic is pictured above, and it is a smoldering, gray-silver shade with flecks of black and just a touch of shimmer and lots of sheen. I also checked out Gold Touch, because I didn’t see Trendy Taupe around anywhere… and after seeing Gold Touch, it was like, “Trendy Taupe who?” Gold Touch is a rich, coppery gold with gold sheen and flecks of copper and bronze in it. It’s richly pigmented, as is Argentic, and both glide on smoothly.
Check out the swatches… Continue reading →
Dior Jazz Club Collection for Fall 2009 Sneak Peek – Part 2
Dior’s Jazz Club will see the release of two limited edition palettes — Smoky Jazz and Purple Jazz ($65.00 each). I managed to get my hands on the Smoky Jazz palette, and it has easily become one of my favorite smoky eyes palettes to-date. One of the major reasons I love it is that they’ve included a plastic slip that labels each of the eyeshadows in it. They help make it just a bit easier for you! Each palette includes a liner, eyebrow color, three eyeshadows, and a topcoat.
The packaging is sleek, with the patent-leather (I don’t know if it’s *real* leather) look on the outside. Inside reveals the products, along with two double-sided brushes. (As with most palettes, the included brushes are just so-so, and those who use full-sized brushes regularly won’t be apt to switch unless it’s an emergency.) I appreciate included brushes, but I rarely use them myself.
The shades are just right for a smoky eye, and I like that they include both a more subdued bronzy-gold shade as well as a bright silver. This lets you mix up your smoky eye as you desire, rather than just the default gray/silver smoky eye. The liner is quite intense, almost like a deep black-brown. It will work best when used with an angled brush for sure. Even though one shade is for brows, you could easily use that as a fourth shadow, too!
Check out the inside and swatches… Continue reading →
Dior Jazz Club Collection for Fall 2009 Sneak Peek – Part 1
Dior’s Jazz Club definitely caught a lot of your eyes when the information first rolled out. This week, we’ll be previewing some of the fall collections, and here’s our first preview item — Dior’s Neglige Pink Addict Lip Color ($26.00). It’s a pigmented, soft raspberry-pink shade that goes onto lips easily, smoothly, and leaves a soft, glistening sheen. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate a color that’s opaque–yet is not even close to being over the top!
See swatches & a lip swatch! Continue reading →
Dior Jazz Club Collection for Fall 2009
Introducing Dior’s new look for Fall 2009, a chic and refined collection of smoky purples, greys and light pinks. Inspired by the daring, femme fatales of the Twenties and Thirties, the look of Jazz Club is seductive and glamorous, featuring a luminous complexion, smoldering eyes and bold shades on the lips and nails to create the perfect day-to-evening makeup.
Edited: Updated collection information & added a few more photos!
Directly inspired by the Dior Couture Jazzclub line, Dior Jazzclub is a Star Product especially designed for a day-to-evening lifestyle. This refined case offers the basics to make-up the eyes: eyeliner, eyebrow powder, eyeshadows and a top coat for the most natural to the most sophisticated makeup. MSRP: $65.00
- Availability: Smoky Jazz at Dior Counters Nationwide, Purple Jazz Nordstrom Exclusive.
1-Colour Extreme ($27.50)
5-Colour Eyeshadow ($56.00)
2-Colour Eyeshadow ($35.00)
Ultra-Gloss Reflect ($25.50)
- Taffeta Plum (787)
- Draped Burgundy (957)
Dior Addict Lipcolor ($26.00)
- Neglige Pink (673)
- Decadent Plum (943)
Crème de Gloss ($26.00)
- Sweet Praline (431)
- Rose Nectar (461)
Dior Vernis ($20.00)
- Red Dahlia (671) (Sephora Only)
- Black Plum (981) (Not Sephora)
- Brow Styler in Universal Brown ($28.00)
- Diorliner in Plum ($31.00)
- Dior Contour in Thrilling Plum ($26.00)
Availability: August 2009
See more images! Continue reading →