When it comes to lipgloss, I personally fall in love with two types: insanely pigmented, nearly opaque colors or glimmering, dazzling, sparkling, and shimmering ones–but they have to be loaded with sparkle (and yet, they can’t feel gritty!). Over the years, while stickiness isn’t a deal-breaker, I don’t like heavy, thick, goopy kind of glosses. Reflecting on glosses I’ve tested out this past year, here were the ones I picked for my top ten!
What were your must-have lipglosses from 2013?
I went through all of the blushes I’ve reviewed in 2013, which was around 200 in total, and these were some of my very, very favorites. I could have given you a much longer list, so when there was just a really amazing formula, I limited myself to picking just one shade, but I’ve included a link to the formula itself where you can also check out other shades available! Naturally, as these are my personal favorites, you’ll likely notice a warmer tone to most, plus an inclination towards coral… I cannot tell a lie: I love coral blushes!
- Chanel Presage (62) Le Blush Creme de Chanel — a warm-toned, medium-dark orange with a hint of pink, but I loved every single shade released in this formula (see them all here!)
- Illamasqua Peaked Velvet Blusher — an amazing cream-to-powder formula in a cool-toned berry-pink
- Kevyn Aucoin Natura Pure Powder Glow — or take your pick, as the formula was incredibly consistent and fantastic; Natura is a soft, medium brown with rose and peach tints
- NARS Boy Don’t Cry High Voltage Blush — an intensely pigmented coral-red that was as gorgeous to look at in the pan as it was applied
- Burberry Coral Pink Light Glow Natural Blush — a dark pink with a hint of coral and warmth and a soft, satiny finish
- MAC Ripe for Love Blush — a medium coral-orange with a satiny sheen
- Chanel Accent (84) Joues Contraste — a softened, medium-dark rosy brown with neutral-to-warm undertones
- Givenchy It-Girl Purple Le Prisme Blush — a light-medium, cool-toned pink with a hint of lilac and a barely-there satin finish
- Benefit Rockateur Box o’ Powder — a mix of pink, beige, and brown with warm undertones and a satiny finish–almost rose gold as described
- NARS Taj Mahal — bold, vibrant orange with a hint of red and a golden sheen–one of many choices as I reviewed most of the permanent shades from NARS this past year
What were your favorite blushes this year? What makes your top ten? (Or top five!)
Continuing on with our look at brand must-haves, here are my top five favorite formulas from Burberry! It’s fairly well-edited brand, so they have only a few formulas, a lot of classic, basic shades, and their powders have an exceptionally soft, silky feel while lipsticks wear well and feel great on lips. And if you’re a long-time reader, you’ll know that Burberry Trench is my go-to brow highlighter!
- Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow — though often not sheer at all, the eyeshadows are soft, silky, and ultra-flattering on the skin; favorite shades include Trench, Pale Barley, Almond, Taupe Brown
- Burberry Lip Velvet — a long-wearing, comfortable-to-wear matte lipstick; favorite shades include Rose Pink, Bright Poppy, Pink Amber
- Burberry Lip Glow — medium-coverage, shimmery, high-shine gloss that’s hydrating; favorite shades include Cameo Pink, Coral, Brick Red
- Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush — insanely silky texture with rich color payoff; favorite shades include Blossom, Earthy, Coral Pink, Tangerine
- Burberry Lip Cover — lightly luminous, richly pigmented lipstick that’s hydrating, comfortable, and wears well; favorite shades include Bright Plum,
What are your favorite Burberry products/shades?
Burberry Festive Gold Collection for Holiday 2013
The Collection (Limited Edition)
Note, Trench Kiss Lip Mist and Lip Glow and Fresh Glow Nude Radiance are available permanently in regular packaging.
- Trench Kiss Lip Mist ($30.00)
- Light Gold Nail Polish ($21.00)
- Trench Kiss Lip Glow ($27.00)
- Fresh Glow Nude Radiance ($48.00)
Availability: Now @ Nordstrom, Burberry
From blushes to lipsticks, I have my personal five favorites for fall lip color! This idea is courtesy of readers Maribel, Sara, Shahnaz, Camille, and Rebecca, who all wanted to see some great shades for autumn. As always, I look forward to hearing about your top five!
- NARS Train Bleu — matte, purple berry
- Burberry Bright Plum — bright, bold berry-pink
- MAC Endless Drama — deep red
- Buxom Runaway — rusty plum
- Urban Decay Venom — shimmering berry
What are your top five fall lip colors?
With fall coming around the corner, reader Maribel’s suggestion for a top five on blush picks for fall was spot-on! In this list, I wanted a good variety in color, not just a bunch of plums. I thought about the colors we tend to see more often during fall, like berries, plums, and burgundies, but not just on cheeks but lips, too. When I wear a stronger lip, I like pairing it with cool pinks or neutral browns/beiges, so cheeks can still have color and definition but not too much color.
- NARS Dolce Vita — medium-dark, rosy plum with a satin finish
- Burberry Earthy — satin-finished medium brown-beige
- Chanel Inspiration — slightly cool-toned, light-medium pink
- MAC Ambering Rose — warm, rusty plum
- NARS Oasis — shimmering plum
What’s your favorite blush for fall?