I went through all of the blushes I’ve reviewed in 2013, which was around 200 in total, and these were some of my very, very favorites. I could have given you a much longer list, so when there was just a really amazing formula, I limited myself to picking just one shade, but I’ve included a link to the formula itself where you can also check out other shades available! Naturally, as these are my personal favorites, you’ll likely notice a warmer tone to most, plus an inclination towards coral… I cannot tell a lie: I love coral blushes!
- Chanel Presage (62) Le Blush Creme de Chanel — a warm-toned, medium-dark orange with a hint of pink, but I loved every single shade released in this formula (see them all here!)
- Illamasqua Peaked Velvet Blusher — an amazing cream-to-powder formula in a cool-toned berry-pink
- Kevyn Aucoin Natura Pure Powder Glow — or take your pick, as the formula was incredibly consistent and fantastic; Natura is a soft, medium brown with rose and peach tints
- NARS Boy Don’t Cry High Voltage Blush — an intensely pigmented coral-red that was as gorgeous to look at in the pan as it was applied
- Burberry Coral Pink Light Glow Natural Blush — a dark pink with a hint of coral and warmth and a soft, satiny finish
- MAC Ripe for Love Blush — a medium coral-orange with a satiny sheen
- Chanel Accent (84) Joues Contraste — a softened, medium-dark rosy brown with neutral-to-warm undertones
- Givenchy It-Girl Purple Le Prisme Blush — a light-medium, cool-toned pink with a hint of lilac and a barely-there satin finish
- Benefit Rockateur Box o’ Powder — a mix of pink, beige, and brown with warm undertones and a satiny finish–almost rose gold as described
- NARS Taj Mahal — bold, vibrant orange with a hint of red and a golden sheen–one of many choices as I reviewed most of the permanent shades from NARS this past year
What were your favorite blushes this year? What makes your top ten? (Or top five!)
Continuing on with our look at brand must-haves, here are my top five favorite formulas from Burberry! It’s fairly well-edited brand, so they have only a few formulas, a lot of classic, basic shades, and their powders have an exceptionally soft, silky feel while lipsticks wear well and feel great on lips. And if you’re a long-time reader, you’ll know that Burberry Trench is my go-to brow highlighter!
- Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow — though often not sheer at all, the eyeshadows are soft, silky, and ultra-flattering on the skin; favorite shades include Trench, Pale Barley, Almond, Taupe Brown
- Burberry Lip Velvet — a long-wearing, comfortable-to-wear matte lipstick; favorite shades include Rose Pink, Bright Poppy, Pink Amber
- Burberry Lip Glow — medium-coverage, shimmery, high-shine gloss that’s hydrating; favorite shades include Cameo Pink, Coral, Brick Red
- Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush — insanely silky texture with rich color payoff; favorite shades include Blossom, Earthy, Coral Pink, Tangerine
- Burberry Lip Cover — lightly luminous, richly pigmented lipstick that’s hydrating, comfortable, and wears well; favorite shades include Bright Plum,
What are your favorite Burberry products/shades?
Burberry Festive Gold Collection for Holiday 2013
The Collection (Limited Edition)
Note, Trench Kiss Lip Mist and Lip Glow and Fresh Glow Nude Radiance are available permanently in regular packaging.
- Trench Kiss Lip Mist ($30.00)
- Light Gold Nail Polish ($21.00)
- Trench Kiss Lip Glow ($27.00)
- Fresh Glow Nude Radiance ($48.00)
Availability: Now @ Nordstrom, Burberry
From blushes to lipsticks, I have my personal five favorites for fall lip color! This idea is courtesy of readers Maribel, Sara, Shahnaz, Camille, and Rebecca, who all wanted to see some great shades for autumn. As always, I look forward to hearing about your top five!
- NARS Train Bleu — matte, purple berry
- Burberry Bright Plum — bright, bold berry-pink
- MAC Endless Drama — deep red
- Buxom Runaway — rusty plum
- Urban Decay Venom — shimmering berry
What are your top five fall lip colors?
With fall coming around the corner, reader Maribel’s suggestion for a top five on blush picks for fall was spot-on! In this list, I wanted a good variety in color, not just a bunch of plums. I thought about the colors we tend to see more often during fall, like berries, plums, and burgundies, but not just on cheeks but lips, too. When I wear a stronger lip, I like pairing it with cool pinks or neutral browns/beiges, so cheeks can still have color and definition but not too much color.
- NARS Dolce Vita — medium-dark, rosy plum with a satin finish
- Burberry Earthy — satin-finished medium brown-beige
- Chanel Inspiration — slightly cool-toned, light-medium pink
- MAC Ambering Rose — warm, rusty plum
- NARS Oasis — shimmering plum
What’s your favorite blush for fall?
The Tempting 10 features my top product picks for the upcoming month, and these are all products I’ve reviewed in the past (you can click around the image above or use the links below to see more photos, swatches, etc.). I think it’s a great way for me to share old favorites (but always ones that are permanent!) and highlight recent limited editions that have captured my attention. Asking me to narrow anything down to a top ten is difficult, but I’ve tried to capture products across brands, price points, and even types, for a more well-rounded list.
August is that month that, for me, will always be the last real month of summer, even if technically it’s not over. I think a lot of it has to do with being in school until I was 25, so August meant back-to-school shopping, enjoying the last days with no essays, no textbooks, and no looming exams, and getting away with (at least some of the time) doing nothing. Now that I’ve graduated from school, summer is a little different, but there’s a part of me that still gets nervous when August 1st pops up on the calendar, because I think, “Nooo, school!” To that end, I look at the month as one filled with fun, which is why my favorites are vibrant and rich. I also think with the hot temperatures we see in August, brighter colors just feel so appropriate, and then formulas that are minimalist or long-wearing are musts. I love how one statement color, whether on eyes, lips, or nails (or wherever else!) can instantly make one look alive and colorful and present without spending a lot of time or having to worry about it breaking down easily.
Bonus: a lot of these products work well for anyone hurried in the mornings or doesn’t want to touch-up a lot during the day–so perfect for those of you who are heading back to school this fall.
- Maybelline Vibrant Mandarin — a rich, vibrant orange-red for the perfect pop of color in the summer when you want to look a little done up but not actually wear a lot of makeup
- NARS Taos — a bolder, super pigment-rich shade that can be worn subtly or intensely in a burnt red with gold shimmer–the more you blend and buff it into the skin, the more glowy it looks
- Zoya Beatrix – a sparkling, dazzling tangerine for your nails that wears well, too
- YSL Vert d’Orient – a rich, decadent teal cream that makes me think of swimming pools, tropical islands, and vacation
- Illamasqua Supernatural — a dewy, bronzy glow that gives skin a wet, shimmering look
- Burberry Cameo Pink – a beautiful, glossy coral-pink shimmered with gold with semi-opaque color coverage
- OCC New Wave – glossy, shiny, stained glass color that is lighter than lipstick but still more pigmented than traditional gloss; New Wave being a pinky-red with subtle cool undertones–like a juicy watermelon for your lips
- Urban Decay Radium — a deep blue with a frosted finish and would work well paired with golds, greens, aquas, and teals (if the eyeshadow is too much, there is always the eyeliner!)
- Sephora Fairytale — shimmer like a mermaid with this blue-based teal that has green and gold shimmer; I love wearing shades like this (I am a teal eyeliner junkie) on the lower lash line with not much else on the eyes for an instant burst of color
- Marc Jacobs The Starlet – it’s a lovely palette, period, but I think it’s a nice transition piece from summer to fall, and August, no doubt, is going to be an interesting month for MJB, since we’ll see the full release and I can’t wait to hear what the beauty world says about the range!
I’d also like to take a moment in this post to plead with Tom Ford to make his Cream Colors in Escapade and Pink Haze permanent, because had they not completely sold out months ago (part of the summer collection), they would have earned a spot here most definitely.
I hope you’ll consider sharing your must-haves for August in the comments! Here’s a quickie list to get you started…
- Must-Have Eye Products:
- Must-Have Cheek/Face Products:
- Must-Have Lip Products:
- Must-Have Hair/Skin Products: