Reader Ammara requested a top five for berry-hued lip colors for summer, so here are my top picks! I’d love to hear yours — please share your recommendations in the comments.
- Guerlain Gladys — a brightened, fuchsia-berry
- Burberry Bright Poppy — a rich, reddish-berry with a matte finish
- YSL Forbidden Burgundy — a glossy berry
- Too Faced So Berry Sexy — a slightly brightened pink-berry with a soft shine
- Urban Decay Rapture — a warmer, muted plum
>> See side-by-side swatches! <<
One thing I really love about coral lipgloss is it’s a way to wear coral that is often more muted, softer, and less bright and in-your-face compared to a coral lipstick. Here are my current favorites…
- Dior Rieuse (373) — brightened, medium coral
- Hourglass Nectar — slightly muted, medium coral
- Bobbi Brown Citrus — sparkling mix of coral, pink, gold
- Burberry Cameo Pink — gold-shimmered, pink-coral
- Chanel Reflexion — brightened, coral-pink with gold shimmer
>> See side-by-side swatches! <<
Makeup Geek Smoky Eye Look
I haven’t done a smoky eye in awhile, so I wanted to try it with some of the products I had tested recently as well as with some shades I’ve worked with in the past. Then, I wanted to experiment with pairing a warmer lip with a smoky eye, as my typical go-to is something cooler-toned, like a rosy beige or more bubblegum-like pink.
I first applied Makeup Geek Rockstar Eyeshadow on the inner third of the lid and blended upwards over the tear duct, towards the brow bone. Then, I patted on Makeup Geek Prom Night Eyeshadow to the center of the lid to brighten and create a gradient towards the outer lid. I used Makeup Geek Corrupt Eyeshadow to darken the outer corner and crease, which created a smoky effect. I softened the crease color’s edge by applying Burberry Trench Eyeshadow to the brow bone. I defined the lower water line with Marc Jacobs Beauty Blacquer Highliner Gel Crayon, and then I used bareMinerals Skinny Dip Eyeshadow smudged on the lower lashine.
Guerlain Parure de Lumiere Foundation (002 and 003) set with Guerlain Les Voilettes Loose Powder. I applied Stila Kitten All-Over Shimmer on the tops of cheek bones.
I applied Guerlain Gaetane Rouge G Lipstick all over the lips, and then I topped it off with Bobbi Brown Citrus High Shimmer Lipgloss for added shimmer and shine.
Neutral Eyes with Teal Eyeliner
Last week, a few readers said they missed seeing looks posted on the blog (as in, cohesive ones!), so I’ll try to post some periodically–depending on whether there’s time for a more “free” day. Sometimes there are so many products to test, I can’t give up the facial real estate On Saturday, we spent all day with my husband’s family, which is usually a 14-hour minimum, so it’s a day where I prefer to just go with something that works. I remember several readers wanted to see Stila Smudge Stick Mint Julep in action, so I thought this might a good opportunity to showcase that as well. Going forward, I will try to post looks using recently reviewed products, but this was a very “for me” look more than anything, so hopefully you can forgive the excess of older products in it.
A lot of the times if I’m not specifically testing something for wear, then I’ll reach for products that I really, really love that are, more-than-likely, discontinued or long ago limited editions. I love the two shades of cream eyeshadow Tom Ford released a year ago so much that I keep them in my basics/regular routine drawer, and I always take them with me when I travel. I’m so used to not using primer these days, but when I know I’m going out and about all day and am not testing, then I’ll still start with a primer!
I used NARS Smudge Proof spread all over the lid to the brow bone with a finger tip. I also like to take a little and apply it to the lower lash line for extra hold for the eyeliners I’ll use as well. Next, I applied Tom Ford Escapade Cream Eyeshadow to the first two-thirds of the lid, starting from the inner lid and moving outwards. Tom Ford Pink Haze Cream Eyeshadow was applied to the outer third of the lid and into the crease, blending outwards and upwards. To soften the edge of the crease eyeshadow, I applied Burberry Trench Eyeshadow to the brow bone (this is my go-to highlighter). For the lower lash line, first I applied Marc Jacobs Beauty Ody(sea) (62) Highliner Gel Crayon, and then I applied Stila Smudge Stick Mint Julep underneath the inner two-thirds of the lower lash line and along the water line. The effect made it look as if the eyeliner was glowing–I was quite in love with it! For lashes, I used a mascara fan brush to apply MAC Opulash Mascara.
Normally, I find primer an unnecessary step with my skin type (normal-to-dry) for regular, everyday wear, but yesterday was going to be a longer, 14+ hour kind of day, so I started by applying Hourglass Mineral Veil all over my face. Then, I mixed two shades of Guerlain Parure de Lumiere Foundation with half of a pump of Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Skin Liquid Illuminating Emulsion as my base. For blush, I applied Troy Surratt Duchesse Blush on the apples of cheeks. I set with Urban Decay Naked Loose Finishing Powder and finished with Guerlain Wulong Pressed Meteorites Powder.
I mixed two shades of OCC Stained Gloss in Aurora and Dune (reviews are forthcoming).
Reader Dilyana wanted to see more top picks for corals… so here’s my current top ten list of coral lipsticks, lipglosses, and blushes! (See them in the Swatch Gallery here.) What are your favorites right now?
- Hourglass Radiant Magenta — a warm-toned, pinky-coral with a satin finish
- Too Faced Bon Bon — a bright, warm-toned coral
- Chanel Reflexion — a shimmering, coral-red gloss
- Clinique Peach Pop — a muted, coral-orange with a luminous finish
- Maybelline Caramel Infused — a soft, pink-coral gloss
- Urban Decay Streak — a glossy coral-pink
- Tom Ford Love Lust –a shimmering, dark coral
- Burberry Camel Pink — a peachy-gold shimmered coral-pink gloss
- Givenchy Rose Dressing (202) — a vibrant, pink-coral
- MAC Be a Lady –a brightened, pink-coral
Soft, flushed cheeks with a hint of luminous sheen — that just says spring to me! Here are five of my current favorites for the spring season…
- Clinique Plum Pop (04) — cool-toned, plummy pink with a satin finish
- Chanel Revelation (63) — light-medium, warm-toned pink with a satin finish
- theBalm Down Boy — a soft, cool-toned pink with a satin finish
- Burberry Blossom — a softly shimmered coral-orange
- Hourglass Radiant Magenta — a light-medium, warm pink with a satin finish
What are your favorite blushes to wear during spring?