Lipstick Comparisons: $13 to $25 (Part 1)
In this price range, lipsticks tend to be more pigmented, have less synthetic scents, and wear an average of four hours. I’m not typically disappointed beyond belief with a lipstick formula in this price range. Brands from MAC to NARS to Smashbox fall into this price tier, while designer brands like Chanel, Dior, and YSL are in the next tier. There are really SO many brands and formulas to choose from in this category that I had to split this post into two parts!
Benefit Full Finish Lipstick ($18.00)
- PROS: Creamy, opaque, glossy, wears for 3 to 4 hours, moisturizing
- NEUTRAL: 0.10 oz., slight sweet scent
- CONS: Very limited shade range
- MY REC: These aren’t quite as glossy or as creamy as the Silky Finish line, but they’re more opaque. I still find them rather creamy and moisturizing, though. Some of mine seem to have a very subtle sweetened scent while others have none.
Benefit Silky Finish Lipstick ($18.00)
- PROS: Creamy, moisturizing, glossy, wears for 3 to 4 hours
- NEUTRAL: 0.10 oz., shades range from sheer to semi-opaque, slight sweet scent
- CONS: Short shade range centered around pinks
- MY REC: The Silky Finish is a much glossier, often shimmered lipstick compared to Benefit’s Full Finish range. These actually remind me quite a bit of Laura Mercier’s Stick Gloss. They’re more moisturizing than the average lipstick and have a slicker texture, too. Some of mine seem to have a very subtle sweetened scent while others have none.
Bobbi Brown Lip Color Lipstick ($22.00)
- PROS: Creamy, slightly glossy, wears 4-6 hours, opaque
- NEUTRAL: 0.12 oz., scent-free, more neutral/pink based shade range
- CONS: One finish (semi-matte)
- MY REC: I like the pigmentation and creaminess in the texture of Bobbi Brown’s Lip Color. Sometimes I get caught in thinking that Bobbi Brown is all about sheers, but then the Lip Color line always reminds me that it’s not always the case. Despite their creaminess, they’re not moisturizing; not drying either, but not particularly moisturizing.
- PROS: Wearable shade range, creamy, moisturizing, semi-opaque
- NEUTRAL: 0.14 oz., more neutral/pink based shade range, scent-free
- CONS: Wears 2 to 3 hours (despite being touted as long-wearing)
- MY REC: I think Clinique makeup often gets overlooked, but I like how much of their makeup is scent-free. I also think they’re worth more than just a glance given the price tag.
Illamasqua Lipstick ($22.00)
- PROS: Opaque, true-to-tube color, wears 5 to 7 hours, lots of fun shades
- NEUTRAL: 0.14 oz., scent-free
- CONS: Mostly matte finishes, dry
- MY REC: It’s important to note that while the texture itself seems a little dry, these lipsticks don’t suck the moisture out of your lips, but they definitely don’t impart any either. With an abundance of matte shades with drier finishes, these are not ideal for those with dry to ultra dry lips.
Korres Guava Lipstick ($22.00)
- PROS: Creamy, opaque, moisturizing, wears 3 to 4 hours
- NEUTRAL: Guava-scented
- CONS: 0.06 oz., limited shade range
- MY REC: My biggest issue with these is how little you get; they’re half the size of Korres’ Mango Butter Lipsticks and $4 more. The Guava lipsticks are more opaque and not as glossy in the finish, but they’re a little less moisturizing than the Mango Butters.
Korres Mango Butter Lipstick ($18.00)
- PROS: Creamy, moisturizing, semi-sheer, wears 3 to 4 hours
- NEUTRAL: 0.12 oz., mango-scented
- CONS: Name/numbering system doesn’t always match tube color, limited shade range
- MY REC: I find these very moisturizing, and I love the glossiness of the finish, because it almost looks like you’re just wearing a gloss. If you have dry lips and haven’t tried these, you might want to give ’em a shot.
Laura Mercier Creme Lip Colour ($22.00)
- PROS: Creamy, semi-opaque, wears 3 to 4 hours
- NEUTRAL: 0.14 oz., scent-free
- CONS: Limited shade range
- MY REC: I’ve found these to be very creamy, and they’re often more on the opaque side of color. They impart some moisture but I wouldn’t consider it a moisturizing lipstick.
Laura Mercier Stick Gloss ($20.00)
- PROS: Moisturizing, glossy, semi-sheer, wears 3 to 4 hours
- NEUTRAL: 0.12 oz., Berry-scented
- CONS: Very limited shade range
- MY REC: It’s very comfortable to wear and feels incredibly moisturizing–it’s just a shame that there are so few shades available.
The Lipstick Comparisons series is designed to provide a quick reference summary sheet for some of the many available lipstick formulas. It seems like most brands have at least a couple of formulas, if not half a dozen, and it can be difficult to find the formulas that will work best for your budget, coloring, style, or taste.
This is not necessarily a best of list, and it’s not exhaustive–it is based on actual lipsticks that I’ve tried; they are all, however, decent to excellent lipsticks. (And perhaps, some day, it will be an exhaustive list.) I have summarized my experience based on pros and cons, but also some “neutral” factors that may be pros or cons, depending on your preferences. I will update this series as I try new lipstick formulas.
Bobbi Brown Holiday 2010 Collection
So many people on your list, so little time. Not to worry: Bobbi’s holiday lineup of beautiful gift sets and perfect palettes has everyone covered from your best friend to your boss. (While you’re at it, why not treat yourself?)
Day to Night Palette (Cool) ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Ivory, Flint, Charcoal, Pearl (Shimmer), Rockstar (Metallic), Gunmetal (Shimmer) Eyeshadows
Day to Night Palette (Warm) ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Ivory, Oat, Espresso, Burnt Sugar (Metallic), Velvet Bronze (Metallic), and Black Plum (Shimmer) Eyeshadows
Pink & Gold Lip Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Roseberry Lip Color, Kir Metallic Lip Color, Pretty Pink Metallic Lip Color, Sunset Nude Creamy Lip Color, Italian Rose Creamy Lip Color, Brownie Lip Color
Sparkle Glamour Quad ($40.00) (Limited Edition)
She’s the first to hit the dance floor and has the uncanny ability to pull together an evening look in the back of a cab. From palest pink to deep slate, these glittering shades are made for New Year’s Eve.
Modern Classic Lip & Eye Palette ($75.00) (Limited Edition) (November)
Includes: Ivory Eyeshadow, Oyster Grey Metallic Eyeshadow, Antique Pink Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Quarry Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Taffeta Metallic Eyeshadow, Birch Eyeshadow, Heather Rose Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Navy Charcoal Eyeshadow, Gold Thread Metallic Eyeshadow, Espresso Eyeshadow, Grape Glitter Lip Gloss, Pink Bouquet Glitter Lip Gloss, Golden Topaz Glitter Lip Gloss, Paisley Rose Shimmer Lip Gloss
Lip Gloss Trio ($40.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Bright Pink Lip Gloss, Gold Glitter Lip Gloss, Kir Sugar Shimmer Lip Gloss
Crystal Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Includes: Amethyst Metallic Eyeshadow, Diamond Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow, Star Sparkle Eyeshadow, Marine Metallic Eyeshadow
Deluxe Travel Kit ($115.00) (Limited Edition)
Remember the days when traveling was a chic adventure? Neither do we. This travel kit, which has compartments for every last beauty essential, makes the worst red-eye seem glam again.
Smoldering Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: White Eyeshadow, Tin Metallic Eyeshadow, Storm Eyeshadow, Onyx Long Wear Eye Paint
Sultry Eye Palette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: Bone Eyeshadow, Antique Gold Metallic Eyeshadow, Caviar Eyeshadow, Brandy Long Wear Eye Paint
Smoky Eye Pa3lette ($45.00) (Limited Edition)
Each palette features a base and an eyeliner color plus a bold metallic and a dramatic shade of Bobbi’s NEW Long Wear Eye Paint. Includes: Ivory Eyeshadow, Heather Lilac Metallic Eyeshadow, Charcoal Eyeshadow, Port Long Wear Eye Paint
See more photos!
Bobbi Brown Eye Couture Collection
Exclusively available at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, this limited edition collection includes a twelve-pan eyeshadow palette and four travel sized brushes (with case).
Eye Couture Collection ($220.00)
Like a jewelry box for your eyes. Bobbi’s ultraluxe, gemstone-inspired 12 pan eye shadow palette has everything you need to dress your eyes for the season—including four travel size brushes.
Eye Couture Palette:
- Star Sparkle Eye Shadow
- Diamond Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow
- Peacock Metallic Eye Shadow
- Onyx Sparkle Eye Shadow
- Amethyst Metallic Eye Shadow
- Emerald Sparkle Eye Shadow
- Bonfire Metallic Eye Shadow
- Topaz Metallic Eye Shadow
- Bash Metallic Eye Shadow
- Volcano Sparkle Eye Shadow
- Lapis Sparkle Eye Shadow
- Garnet Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow
- Travel Size Eye Sweep Brush
- Travel Size Angle Eye Shadow Brush
- Travel Size Eye Contour Brush
- Travel Size Eye Liner Brush
- Black Brush Carrying Case
Availability: October 2010