AVEDA @ Jason Wu S/S 2011 Backstage & Beauty
AVEDA @ Jason Wu S/S 2011
Chiffon Highlights at Jason Wu Spring/Summer 2011 Show with Odile Gilbert for Aveda
Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert created looping braids and twists finished with a chiffon ‘flower’ using Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep™ Smoother,™ Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray, and Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray at the Jason Wu Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week show in New York.
INSPIRATION: “The Jason Wu hair look for this season is simple yet sophisticated, with 1970’s inspiration. We’re braiding chiffon—scraps from the collection—into the hair and twisting the ends into a flower. This look captures the happiness and excitement of spring and summer.” –Odile Gilbert for Aveda–Odile Gilbert for Aveda
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother™ for smoothness and to tame flyaways. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a strong, clean part on the right side of the head and then blow dry straight using a Mason Pearson brush.
2. Pull hair tightly back and separate into four sections along the nape of the neck. Spray each with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for shine and flexible hold.
3. Tie a long ribbon or piece of fabric—in a shade close to the hair color—around the top of each section of hair.
4. One section at a time, braid the fabric through the hair and secure at the bottom with an elastic. Leave excess fabric out at the bottom of each braid. Spray each braid liberally with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray for ultra-strong hold.
5. Collect all four braids and tie the fabric into one large bow at the end to create a ‘flower.’
6. Pull the fabric ‘flower’ upwards and secure at the nape of the neck with hair pins, creating beautiful braided loops stemming from the flower. Finish the look with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
See quick Q&A and makeup how-to, plus more images!
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
ODIE GILBERT: Jason’s collection was inspired in part by the 1970’s, so we wanted the hair for this season to reflect the hair of that era. Though the look is ultra-sophisticated, it’s also young and playful, with clean, slick hair in front and a mélange of braids and twists gathered into a gorgeous flower in back. The addition of Jason’s material completes the look, like chiffon highlights.
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
ODIE GILBERT: This look is very simple to recreate and works on anyone. Prep hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother™ and blow dry straight. Separate four sections of hair in the back and twist a piece of fabric into each. Leave a little fabric out at the ends and tie them together into a bow. Twist the braids up and pin to the back of the head. Set the style with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.