Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
Here’s a lil’ sneak peek of the ten new Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows ($9.99 for 0.064 oz.) — which ones have caught your eye? If you’re unfamiliar with the formula, Foiled Eyeshadows are a “hybrid between a powder and a cream shadow” that’s supposed to have “intense pigmentation … in just one swipe.” The brand has changed the description of the formula slightly since the original release, such that if you have oilier lids, they recommend a primer for longevity as these have a higher oil content in them. According to the brand’s recent video (here) on the new shades, they mentioned trying to reformulate to improve longevity but this caused the product to crumble in the pan. I thought it was an interesting look into the behind-the-scenes nature of cosmetic formulations, and it’s good to see a brand that listens to their customers and offers some transparency in an industry that can be quite secretive.
>> VIEW ALL SWATCHES IN THE SWATCH GALLERY < <
Have you tried the Foiled Eyeshadow formula before?
Just in time for Mother’s Day, KATE SOMERVILLE is having a giveaway where one lucky person will win the ultimate Mother’s Day gift! The winner will get to fill two beauty boxes with their favorite Kate Somerville products; one for mom and one for themselves–up to a $2,000 value!
To enter, just head over to Kate Somerville! There’s even a little treat just for entering. One entry per email address, open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia who are 21 or older at the time of entry. The giveaway entry period ends at 11:59 PM EST on 4/30/2015 (see official rules here).
Make Up For Ever #1 and #2 Artist Palettes
For summer, there are two new, limited edition Make Up For Ever Artist Palettes ($42.00 for 0.54 oz.); one available in neutral hues and the other in a mix of brighter shades. All of the shades are shades available in the permanent Artist Shadow range, and they all swatched and appeared consistent with the singles I have (in fact, a few seemed even creamier!). The Artist Shadow formula remains a favorite for me, and it’s honestly a formula that has spoiled me when it comes to really easy-to-use, intensely pigmented, long-wearing eyeshadow.
The palettes had a surprising heft to them, though they are slim and don’t seem overly large. Each palette has a large mirror, though it doesn’t stand up on its own. The side that holds the eyeshadows seems to have most of the weight, which led me to expect it to be magnetic and allow for the eyeshadows to be removed (like last holiday’s case), but unfortunately, they seemed glued in. I tried using tweezers to remove four shades (at random) from each palette, but nothing was budging. I hope Make Up For Ever will consider making future Artist Palettes interchangeable, because I think that makes them more versatile, and then you can rearrange to suit your needs over time or for a trip. The other aspect worth pointing out is that most shades have noticeable shimmer; there are no official mattes in the palettes, but there are three satins.
Each pan is 24mm in diameter, and visually, they appear about the same size as your average eyeshadow pan (think MAC, Urban Decay, Makeup Geek), though it is very slightly smaller (MAC eyeshadows are 26mm in diameter). The pans contain 0.06 oz. a pop, whereas a full-sized Artist Shadow contains 0.08 oz. (and retails for $21!). The value of the palette is $141.75 based on $21/0.08 oz., though Make Up For Ever has a discounting system if you buy two or three (plus the coordinating case) individuals at a time. Based on that, you could get three for $44 or $44/0.24 oz., which would give the palette a value of $99. Another way to look at it is the cost of purchasing all nine individually, and presuming you buy in trios to maximize your discount, you would spend $132. As long as you’d use at least three shades in it, then you’ll pay less than purchasing the three as singles (you would get more product, but a little goes a long way with these).
I’ve been slowing working my way through all the Artist Shadows, so I’m hoping to review these palettes (and their single counterparts, if any differences) soon. You can also see swatches grouped together in the Swatch Gallery for the #1 (Nudes You Need) and #2 (Electric) palettes if you prefer a gallery view.
Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadow
Foiled Eyeshadow ($9.99) (New, Permanent)
With these rich and intensely-hued shades, the new Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows go beyond your standard line of cosmetics, introducing you to a new and powerful cosmetic experience. This cutting-edge formula offers a creamy texture that is a hybrid between a powder shadow and a cream shadow that is on a level of its own. The intense pigmentation combined with an opaque, metallic finish make these shadows a dream to work with. These can be applied effortlessly in just one swipe with no primer required! Our lineup includes a diverse array of rich colors and a smooth silky formula that we believe help elevate pressed eye shadows to the next level of exceptional quality.
- Starry Eyed Light champagne beige with slight pink undertones and a foiled finish pinky-beige champagne
- Whimsical Light silvery pink with a foiled finish frosted silvery pale pink
- High Wire Medium silver with subtle blue undertones medium silver w/ hint of blue
- Charmed Muted silvery light olive with taupe undertones and a foiled finish light muted silvery olive
- Day Dreamer Light lilac purple with cool undertones and a foiled finish cool light lilac purple
- Fantasy Mint green with a foiled finish frosty mint green
- Pegasus Light, bright aqua with a foiled finish intensely bright light aqua
- Masquerade Bright medium plum with warm undertones and a foiled finish bright warm plum
- Untamed Bright coppery orange with warm undertones and a foiled finish warm coppery bright orange
- Fortune Teller True yellow gold with a foiled finish rich true yellow gold
Foiled Eyeshadow Bundles
- 20 x Foiled Eyeshadows ($175.00) Complete set of Foiled Eyeshadows
- 10 x Foiled Eyeshadows ($89.99) Complete set of the 10 new Foiled Eyeshadows
Availability: Now at Makeup Geek
Welcome to Free For Haul Friday!
- Haul: Make Up For Ever Artist Palettes, Becca Lip Souffles, Marc Jacobs Summer Eyeliners
- Weekend plans: So, we ended up going to Monterey on a whim (big mistake, never going again on a weekend; Carmel is better if you can only go on a weekend day) last weekend, so this weekend we’ll put those shelves in. I hope!
- What was the last movie you watched?: We just re-watched all of the Toy Story series, so the third!
Share your pet photos to the Temptalia Pets flickr group!
This week’s Mellan photo…